|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author refer to as "the nurse of love"?
2. In the author's reviews of decisions in love cases, what was the reason in the second case that a man asked his lover if he could embrace another woman?
3. Why did the woman of higher nobility reprove the nobleman who was a member of the clergy?
4. If the beloved wanted something unreasonable, what did the author advise to do?
5. When the author wrote about how to behave when one fell in love with a peasant, what is it believed that he was suggesting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book begins with Walter seeking advice from the author, Andreas Capellanus. Explain Walter's request of the author and the author's two goals in writing "The Art of Courtly Love". Do you believe that Andreas provided sufficient and helpful advice to Walter?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the dialogues, the women, regardless of their social ranking, continually rebuff the advances of the men who sought to pursue them romantically. Review the dialogues and the women's responses to the men's advances. What similarities to you observe in their responses? What are the greatest differences?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of jealousy in romantic relationships and the power it holds. What effects does jealousy have on lovers? Is jealousy always bad or always good? Can jealousy destroy love? Can it be a tool to restore love?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)