|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a member of the most noble class bound to renounce?
2. What is one way a man might lose love?
3. Why were members of the most noble rank advised to consult the dialogues in the book?
4. For the group advised to fiercely avoid love, what was one who sought their love considered to be?
5. What happens when love starts to decline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the book, the author expresses strong opinions on the subject of homosexuality. Explain his opinions and cite the reasoning behind them.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 2, ways to retain love are discussed. List and describe specific ways in which feelings of love can be retained and increased after a relationship has been consummated. List and describe sure ways to cause love to decrease or end.
Essay Topic 3
The book begins with Walter seeking advice from the author, Andreas Capellanus. Explain Walter's request of the author and the author's two goals in writing "The Art of Courtly Love". Do you believe that Andreas provided sufficient and helpful advice to Walter?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)