|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author identify as a sure way to decrease love?
2. In the author's reviews of decisions in love cases, what was the reason in the second case that a man asked his lover if he could embrace another woman?
3. In the conversation between the higher nobleman and the higher noblewoman, while she remained deeply skeptical and expressed a lack of interest, what did the man do?
4. What was the general focus of Book One?
5. What did the man of the clergy admit about love with a woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Three, the author stated that it is unclear what good comes to men through love besides the love itself. In fact, the author cited many examples of harm that can come from love. In what ways can love cause the following: loss of honor, threat to chastity and destruction of peace?
Essay Topic 2
The book begins with Walter seeking advice from the author, Andreas Capellanus. Explain Walter's request of the author and the author's two goals in writing "The Art of Courtly Love". Do you believe that Andreas provided sufficient and helpful advice to Walter?
Essay Topic 3
In Book 2, ways to retain love are discussed. List and describe specific ways in which feelings of love can be retained and increased after a relationship has been consummated. List and describe sure ways to cause love to decrease or end.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)