|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a man of higher nobility spoke to a woman of higher nobility, what argument did they have about love?
2. If a greedy woman truly loved her man, what would she be hesitant to do?
3. When the author wrote about how to behave when one fell in love with a peasant, what is it believed that he was suggesting?
4. When a man and a woman, both of higher nobility interacted, how did the author advise the man to speak to the woman?
5. When the man of higher nobility spoke to a woman of higher nobility, what concerns about the nature of love did the woman express?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book begins with Walter seeking advice from the author, Andreas Capellanus. Explain Walter's request of the author and the author's two goals in writing "The Art of Courtly Love". Do you believe that Andreas provided sufficient and helpful advice to Walter?
Essay Topic 2
Review the thirty-one rules of love and select three that appeal to you. For each, briefly explain why this rule is important for love to flourish.
Essay Topic 3
The author states that everyone of sound mind can do the works of love unless disabled by age, blindness or excess passion. Provide an example of each of these barriers to attaining love and explain why they might prohibit someone from experiencing love.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)