|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to desire if one lover expresses anger toward the other?
2. Under what condition may a man indulge in the "solace of the flesh" and still retain love?
3. What was a member of the most noble class bound to renounce?
4. Throughout the conversation, the woman spoke repeatedly about the costs of love. Of what did the man speak repeatedly?
5. How should a lover behave toward the beloved to retain love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book begins with Walter seeking advice from the author, Andreas Capellanus. Explain Walter's request of the author and the author's two goals in writing "The Art of Courtly Love". Do you believe that Andreas provided sufficient and helpful advice to Walter?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the costs and benefits of love are weighed. Provide three examples of the high costs of love and three examples of the benefits of love. Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Overall, does the author support those seeking love, or is his message more of a warning to avoid love and all of its troubles?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the book, the author expresses strong opinions on the subject of homosexuality. Explain his opinions and cite the reasoning behind them.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)