|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the rules of love, what one characteristic alone can make any man worthy of love?
2. Why were members of the most noble rank advised to consult the dialogues in the book?
3. If the beloved wanted something unreasonable, what did the author advise to do?
4. What future awaits a woman who stays with a cheating man?
5. What group was advised to fiercely avoid love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The author discusses at length the issue of physical beauty versus inner beauty. Discuss the kind of love and its lasting ability that results from seeking love based on physical beauty, and the same for inner beauty. What sorts of attributes create inner beauty? Which type of love is better? Why?
Essay Topic 2Throughout the book, the costs and benefits of love are weighed. Provide three examples of the high costs of love and three examples of the benefits of love. Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Overall, does the author support those seeking love, or is his message more of a warning to avoid love and all of its troubles?
Essay Topic 3The book begins with Walter seeking advice from the author, Andreas Capellanus. Explain Walter's request of the author and the author's two goals in writing "The Art of Courtly Love". Do you believe that Andreas provided sufficient and helpful advice to Walter?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)