|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What future awaits a woman who stays with a cheating man?
2. What did the author advise a woman to do if her man was unfaithful?
3. When the man of higher nobility spoke to the woman of higher nobility, of what did he argue that her resistance was an indicator?
4. Why were members of the most noble rank advised to consult the dialogues in the book?
5. What did the author say of the love of prostitutes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author discusses at length the issue of physical beauty versus inner beauty. Discuss the kind of love and its lasting ability that results from seeking love based on physical beauty, and the same for inner beauty. What sorts of attributes create inner beauty? Which type of love is better? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The book begins with Walter seeking advice from the author, Andreas Capellanus. Explain Walter's request of the author and the author's two goals in writing "The Art of Courtly Love". Do you believe that Andreas provided sufficient and helpful advice to Walter?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the costs and benefits of love are weighed. Provide three examples of the high costs of love and three examples of the benefits of love. Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Overall, does the author support those seeking love, or is his message more of a warning to avoid love and all of its troubles?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)