|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author refer to as "the nurse of love"?
2. What did the author identify as a sure way to decrease love?
3. When a man of higher nobility spoke to a woman of higher nobility, what argument did they have about love?
4. What might indicate that love has returned?
5. How should a lover behave toward the beloved to retain love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the author's feelings about peasants and their inclinations to love. Under what circumstances did the author suggest that peasants can experience love? What did the author mean when he suggested that someone who falls in love with a peasant should praise her and then, in a convenient location, "embrace [her] by force?"
Essay Topic 2
Thinking of the ways in which the author described the nature of women in general, explain how the author felt about women overall. What are at least three examples of women's nature and desires that the author provided to support his feelings about women?
Essay Topic 3
The book begins with Walter seeking advice from the author, Andreas Capellanus. Explain Walter's request of the author and the author's two goals in writing "The Art of Courtly Love". Do you believe that Andreas provided sufficient and helpful advice to Walter?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)