|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what other danger did the nobleman warn the noblewoman?
2. When a nobleman approached a noblewoman, how was he to begin a conversation?
3. What fear about endangering herself would a noblewoman have shared with a nobleman who was pursuing her romantically?
4. According to the author, how does love feel about homosexuality?
5. When a nobleman sat next to a middle class woman without permission, what message does he send?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what condition may love be retained and still allow the lovers to indulge in the "solace of flesh"?
2. To what characteristic about himself was the middle class man advised to draw attention when trying to attract a woman of nobility?
3. Two of the five ways in which love can be obtained are beauty and good character. Which of these wins love with little effort and which is the characteristic that wise men choose?
4. Explain two ways in which a nobleman was advised to approach a middle class woman he wished to pursue romantically.
5. What thoughts and actions did the author describe as the main focus of lovers?
6. What did the author describe being requested by Walter in the Preface?
7. How did the author describe the feelings associated with love before it becomes balanced on each side?
8. How can issues of faith and religion destroy love?
9. What did the author advise women to do if their men are unfaithful, and why?
10. Explain why the Countess replied in her letter to the man of higher nobility that love cannot exist between two people who are married.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book begins with Walter seeking advice from the author, Andreas Capellanus. Explain Walter's request of the author and the author's two goals in writing "The Art of Courtly Love". Do you believe that Andreas provided sufficient and helpful advice to Walter?
Essay Topic 2
In Book 2, ways to retain love are discussed. List and describe specific ways in which feelings of love can be retained and increased after a relationship has been consummated. List and describe sure ways to cause love to decrease or end.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the costs and benefits of love are weighed. Provide three examples of the high costs of love and three examples of the benefits of love. Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Overall, does the author support those seeking love, or is his message more of a warning to avoid love and all of its troubles?
This section contains 1,529 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)