|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, how does love feel about homosexuality?
2. According to the author, what does love cause a person to seek above all other things?
3. Recalling the thing the author suggested a middle class man always do in a conversation with a middle class woman, when did he suggest that it be done in the course of a conversation?
4. When the noblewoman expressed her fear about endangering herself, how would the nobleman be expected to respond?
5. When a nobleman approached a noblewoman and began a conversation appropriately, what was the nobleman to tell the noblewoman it was difficult to restrain himself from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author describe the way greedy women love, and what group did he suggest greedy women should join?
2. As the man and woman in Dialogue 8 interacted, he asked her if a man could love two women in the courtly fashion. What was her response?
3. What three issues did the author identify as barring someone from the experience of real love?
4. Why did the author state that nuns must fiercely avoid love?
5. Though the noblewoman would have argued that love might endanger her, what would the nobleman have identified as the true dangers of love.
6. Explain the author's stance on love and homosexuality.
7. Give one example of how love can be decreased.
8. Explain why the noblest class, the clergy, cannot look for love.
9. What negative effects might love have upon warfare and peace?
10. To what characteristic about himself was the middle class man advised to draw attention when trying to attract a woman of nobility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thinking of the ways in which the author described the nature of women in general, explain how the author felt about women overall. What are at least three examples of women's nature and desires that the author provided to support his feelings about women?
Essay Topic 2
The author warned Walter to avoid many of the pitfalls of love, including avoiding romance with certain people. Explain why the author warned Walter to avoid the following three types of women: nuns, prostitutes and greedy women.
Essay Topic 3
In Book 2, ways to retain love are discussed. List and describe specific ways in which feelings of love can be retained and increased after a relationship has been consummated. List and describe sure ways to cause love to decrease or end.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)