|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the four-stage theory of appropriate development of love, what is the third stage?
2. If a middle class woman was being pursued by a nobleman, what might she say to rebuff his advances?
3. In the four-stage theory of appropriate development of love, what is the fourth stage?
4. In wooing a woman of higher social ranking, how might the middle class man best win her attention?
5. The nobleman explained to the noblewoman he pursued that the real danger she should fear lay in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the difference in the way a woman of a lower class and a woman of a higher class might have rebuffed a man's romantic advances.
2. Why did the author state that women who give into carnal passion easily are difficult to love?
3. To what characteristic about himself was the middle class man advised to draw attention when trying to attract a woman of nobility?
4. In retaining love, give an example of how a man can keep a love from being publicly known.
5. What type of woman did the author encourage Walter to find?
6. How can issues of faith and religion destroy love?
7. How might a man know that a love has been restored or is returning?
8. How did the author explain the nature of peasants and their inclination to love?
9. What role does levels of desire play in the author's twelve rules for acquiring love?
10. How did the author describe the way greedy women love, and what group did he suggest greedy women should join?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and describe the five ways in which love can be acquired. Explain which three were identified as the only ways to truly achieve love and why two of them cannot produce love worthily.
Essay Topic 2
List the twelve rules for acquiring love and provide a brief example of each.
Essay Topic 3
The author discusses at length the issue of physical beauty versus inner beauty. Discuss the kind of love and its lasting ability that results from seeking love based on physical beauty, and the same for inner beauty. What sorts of attributes create inner beauty? Which type of love is better? Why?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)