|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Recalling the thing the author suggested a middle class man always do in a conversation with a middle class woman, when did he suggest that it be done in the course of a conversation?
2. When the middle class man approached the woman of higher nobility and she told him finally that he had no reason to hope, how was he to respond?
3. When a higher nobleman spoke to a middle class woman, how was he advised to begin the conversation?
4. According to the author, upon what do lovers focus their attention?
5. When a nobleman approached a noblewoman and began a conversation appropriately, what was the nobleman to tell the noblewoman it was difficult to restrain himself from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can issues of faith and religion destroy love?
2. Give one example of why the author described greedy women as "deadly enemies".
3. What negative effects might love have upon warfare and peace?
4. What type of woman did the author encourage Walter to find?
5. Explain how the nobleman was advised to approach a noblewoman, and how he was to begin conversation with her.
6. In what ways may love increase after it has been consummated?
7. How might a man know that a love has been restored or is returning?
8. Explain two ways in which a nobleman was advised to approach a middle class woman he wished to pursue romantically.
9. Why did the author state that nuns must fiercely avoid love?
10. What advice did the author give about seeking the love of prostitutes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List the twelve rules for acquiring love and provide a brief example of each.
Essay Topic 2
Review the dialogues, paying careful attention to the romantic advances of the men involved in them. What similarities do you observe in all of the interactions on the part of the men as they interact with women of varying social rankings. What are the greatest differences? With which social rank of woman do you sense that the man was most respectful and "well behaved?" With which was he the worst?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of jealousy in romantic relationships and the power it holds. What effects does jealousy have on lovers? Is jealousy always bad or always good? Can jealousy destroy love? Can it be a tool to restore love?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)