|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nobleman explained to the noblewoman he pursued that the real danger she should fear lay in what?
2. Among the author's twelve rules for acquiring love, what did he have to say about private versus public relationships?
3. How would a noblewoman respond to compliments from a nobleman?
4. In the four-stage theory of appropriate development of love, to what age group does a woman's ideal man belong?
5. Who was Walter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author explain the effects of love on the uncouth man?
2. Explain the singular reason why a nobleman would be willing to marry below his class.
3. Two of the five ways in which love can be obtained are beauty and good character. Which of these wins love with little effort and which is the characteristic that wise men choose?
4. In the instance of the older woman insisting to a man that she was too old for love, she expressed deep skepticism and lack interest. How did the man react?
5. What negative effects can love have upon the virtues of honor and chastity?
6. Though the noblewoman would have argued that love might endanger her, what would the nobleman have identified as the true dangers of love.
7. Give one example of how love can be decreased.
8. Provide one example of why love is dangerous.
9. How might a man know that a love has been restored or is returning?
10. As the man and woman in Dialogue 8 interacted, he asked her if a man could love two women in the courtly fashion. What was her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Two, the author reviewed decisions in love cases, many of which involved the Countess of Champagne. Select three of the cases decided by the Countess of Champagne and review her decisions. Are there similarities in her decisions? What are the greatest differences?
Essay Topic 2
Review the thirty-one rules of love and select three that appeal to you. For each, briefly explain why this rule is important for love to flourish.
Essay Topic 3
List the twelve rules for acquiring love and provide a brief example of each.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)