|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nobleman explained to the noblewoman he pursued that the real danger she should fear lay in what?
2. How would a noblewoman respond to compliments from a nobleman?
3. Among the author's twelve rules for acquiring love, what did he have to say about avarice, or love of wealth?
4. For a nobleman whose advances are being rebuffed by a middle class woman, what must he argue to her?
5. How did the author approach the topic of homosexuality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts and actions did the author describe as the main focus of lovers?
2. How did the author describe the way greedy women love, and what group did he suggest greedy women should join?
3. What negative effects might love have upon warfare and peace?
4. Give one example of how love can be decreased.
5. Two of the five ways in which love can be obtained are beauty and good character. Which of these wins love with little effort and which is the characteristic that wise men choose?
6. How can love result in poverty?
7. What negative effects can love have upon the virtues of honor and chastity?
8. When a woman of nobility seized upon one of the flaws of a lower class man, how was he to best respond to win her affection?
9. Provide one example why the author advised Walter not to look for love.
10. When a man of higher nobility approached a woman of simple nobility, of what was he advised to avoid doing during conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the book, the author expresses strong opinions on the subject of homosexuality. Explain his opinions and cite the reasoning behind them.
Essay Topic 2
The book begins with Walter seeking advice from the author, Andreas Capellanus. Explain Walter's request of the author and the author's two goals in writing "The Art of Courtly Love". Do you believe that Andreas provided sufficient and helpful advice to Walter?
Essay Topic 3
List and describe the five ways in which love can be acquired. Explain which three were identified as the only ways to truly achieve love and why two of them cannot produce love worthily.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)