|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the woman of higher nobility reprove the nobleman who was a member of the clergy?
(a) He should be shamed for pursuing her.
(b) He should be satisfied with things of God.
(c) She would be a mockery if she entered into a relationship with him.
(d) She would never feel worthy of his love.
2. When a man of higher nobility spoke to a woman of higher nobility, why did the woman say she was reluctant to fall in love?
(a) She was a widow.
(b) She was too old.
(c) She was already married.
(d) She is afraid of love.
3. How did the noblewoman imagine the two women might feel about being loved at the same time by a man?
(a) They might feel betrayed.
(b) They might excuse it.
(c) They might be jealous and hurt.
(d) They might be infuriated.
4. Why were nuns advised to fiercely avoid love?
(a) It would stir up God's wrath.
(b) They were doomed to never find true love.
(c) They were not worthy of love.
(d) They loved money too much.
5. How did the author explain the concept of teaching the theory of love to a social class likened to horses and mules?
(a) It would stir natural desires because all humans were made to love.
(b) It would stir natural desires in them only if they made a conscious effort.
(c) It would be unnatural to them and they would never grasp the idea.
(d) It would be unnatural to them, but they would find it useful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accusation about the clergyman nobleman's interest in love did the higher noblewoman make?
2. When the man of higher nobility spoke to the woman of higher nobility, of what did he argue that her resistance was an indicator?
3. Though God did not ban a man of the clergy from courtly love, what did God ban him from?
4. Why were members of the most noble rank advised to consult the dialogues in the book?
5. When the man of higher nobility spoke to a woman of higher nobility, what was the man advised to avoid?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)