|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One, Introduction to the Treatise on Love, Chapters 7-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fear about endangering herself would a noblewoman have shared with a nobleman who was pursuing her romantically?
(a) Tarnishing her reputation.
(b) Belittling her nobility.
(c) Giving into the power of the goddess of love.
(d) Becoming careless and silly because of love.
2. When the man of higher nobility spoke to the woman of higher nobility and she grew tired of their conversation and insisted that it should end, how did the nobleman respond?
(a) That he wanted one last chance to profess his love.
(b) That he would respect her wishes.
(c) That he knew then that they had no future together.
(d) That they had so much more to discuss.
3. What was a member of the most noble class bound to renounce?
(a) Delights of the earth.
(b) Status and wealth.
4. When the middle class man approached the woman of higher nobility and she told him finally that he had no reason to hope, how was he to respond?
(a) Emphasize that he was willing to hope beyond reason.
(b) Take it as his cue to end the pursuit.
(c) Tell her that lack of hope does not kill love.
(d) Ask her what he might change about himself to win her over.
5. Among the author's twelve rules for acquiring love, what did he have to say about how to deal with a current love affair?
(a) Meddling in a current affair should only be done once in a man's life.
(b) Break one up by acting quickly to lessen the sting.
(c) Never break one up knowingly.
(d) Break one up only by speaking with kindness to both parties.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author cautioned that a man of low social standing approaching a woman of nobility unless the man be of what?
2. According to the author, how does love feel about homosexuality?
3. Of what other danger did the nobleman warn the noblewoman?
4. Before love becomes balanced on both sides, what did the author say happens to two people in love?
5. What did the author suggest that a middle class man always do in a conversation with a middle class woman?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)