|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One, Introduction to the Treatise on Love, Chapter 6, Dialogue 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the author explain the connection between love and greed?
(a) Love cannot be degraded by greed.
(b) Love is essentially a form of greed.
(c) Love eliminates greed.
(d) Love is destroyed by greed.
2. What is the meaning of the word from which "love" is derived?
(a) To seize.
(b) To capture.
(c) A gift.
(d) Of great purity.
3. In the dialogue between the nobleman and the noblewoman, how was the nobleman advised to respond when the noblewoman admitted that enjoying love was great and rejecting it was harmful, and though she was afraid of love's burdens, she had an interest in it?
(a) He should be wary of her.
(b) He should correct her gently.
(c) He should embrace her.
(d) He should thank her.
4. In the four-stage theory of appropriate development of love, to what age group does a woman's ideal man belong?
(a) Her own age group.
(b) At least twice her age.
5. What did the author write that all involved in courtly love should avoid?
(a) Embarrassing the other.
(b) Too much desire.
(c) Bad appearances.
(d) Too much flattery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the five ways to acquire love, which is the only one worthy of love?
2. How did the author approach the topic of homosexuality?
3. According to the author, about what do people in love think continually?
4. According to the author, upon what do lovers focus their attention?
5. Which of the two lovers, if any, did the higher noblewoman think a man should give up?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)