|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One, Introduction to the Treatise on Love, Chapter 6, Dialogue 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If a nobleman wished to select a middle class woman, what was his best course of action to woo her?
(a) Acts of love.
(b) Small gifts.
(c) Loving gazes.
(d) Special speech.
2. Despite her social rank, how might a middle class man perceive a noblewoman to be?
3. According to the author, what does love cause a person to seek above all other things?
(a) A glimpse of the one he loves.
(b) The thought of the one he loves.
(c) The embrace of the one he loves.
(d) The chance to speak with the one he loves.
4. In the four-stage theory of appropriate development of love, what is the first stage?
(a) Whole person.
5. Among the author's twelve rules for acquiring love, what did he have to say about avarice, or love of wealth?
(a) Accept it.
(b) Avoid it.
(c) Cherish it.
(d) Seek it out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might a middle class woman have said to a nobleman about his social ranking if he had pursued her romantically?
2. When a man of higher nobility spoke to a woman of higher nobility, why did the woman say she was reluctant to fall in love?
3. Though God did not ban a man of the clergy from courtly love, what did God ban him from?
4. During a conversation between a nobleman and a noblewoman, what was she to give permission for him to do?
5. What did the author note that women can achieve through marriage, but men cannot?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)