* The author opens the preface by explaining that Walter, a good friend, had asked him to publish his writings on the nature of love between lovers.
* The author explained that Book One would consider courtly love, its definition, origin, effects, between whom it might occur, its generation and its lifespan. It would also define signs of love's return and how lovers should behave if infidelity should occur.
* The author described love as an innate suffering that arises from the perception and focus on the beauty of another.
* Great suffering and feeling of paralyzing fear were described by the author as the result of love that is not yet balanced.
* The author explained that love can only exist between a man and a woman and that nature forbids homosexuality.
* Love has many effects, among them making an uncouth...
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)