|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Mailer's writer friends is present in the Volkswagen with him in Chapter 2?
(a) Dwight Macdonald.
(b) Paul Goodman.
(c) Robert Lowell.
(d) None of them.
2. What is the highest estimate given in Chapter 5 for the number of marchers who may attend?
3. What does Mailer begin working on in Occaquan in Chapter 7?
(a) An open letter to the papers.
(b) His speech upon release.
(c) An outline for a new novel.
(d) A rebuttal to Teague's ideology.
4. How many marchers does the New York Times suggest will be at the Pentagon protest in Chapter 5?
5. How is Mailer certain the MP in Chapter 6 is not going to hit him?
(a) His hand is trembling.
(b) He is black.
(c) He says he is a fan.
(d) He does not have a club.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting her Mailer when he arrives at booking in Occoquan at the end of Chapter 5?
2. What word does Mailer use to describe supporters of the ear in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 4, to what does Mailer compare the people on the bus?
4. What left-wing attorney does the Mobilization Committee meet with in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 1 of Book II, to whom does the "writer" pass the baton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the tone of the novel shift dramatically at the beginning of Book II?
2. How does Mailer think about his family in Chapter 5?
3. Why is the Vietnam War fought, according to Mailer in Chapter 7?
4. What bad news greets Mailer when he returns to New York in Chapter 11?
5. What comic episode happens when Mailer is getting changed for his arraignment in Chapter 8?
6. How does Dick Fontaine figure into the events of this section?
7. What conclusion does Mailer draw from two articles at the end of Chapter 6?
8. What metaphor does Mailer draw to the Pentagon in Chapter 4?
9. How is the crowd becoming unruly in Chapter 4?
10. How does Dellinger go about planning the march in Chapters 2 and 3?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)