|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the bus in Chapter 4 taking Mailer and the other marchers?
(a) A bus depot in Brookland.
(b) A school in Baltimore.
(c) A post office in Alexandria.
(d) A police station in Bethesda.
2. What game does Mailer play with a cellmate to pass the time in Chapter 5?
(a) Gin rummy.
(b) 20 questions.
3. Which of the following militant groups chooses to sit and hold their ground at the March?
(a) The Black Panthers.
(c) The Symbionese Liberation Army.
(d) The Weathermen.
4. How does Mailer signal that he wants to be arrested at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) He punches an MP.
(b) He lays prostrate on the ground.
(c) He crosses a rope line.
(d) He throws a can at a police cruiser.
5. What type of quasi-religious ceremony does the music group perform in Chapter 5?
(a) A laying-on of hands.
(b) A wedding.
(c) A baptism.
(d) An exorcism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of overtones are part of Mailer's speech in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 1 of Book II, to whom does the "writer" pass the baton?
3. At what time in Chapter 8 does Teague begin his lectures again?
4. Who arrives in in Chapter 4 as the protesters are forming ranks?
5. How many marchers does the New York Times suggest will be at the Pentagon protest in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fracas does Mailer get into in Chapter 2?
2. Why is the Vietnam War fought, according to Mailer in Chapter 7?
3. What comic episode happens when Mailer is getting changed for his arraignment in Chapter 8?
4. Describe the more extreme voices in the march planning as discussed in Chapter 5.
5. How does Dellinger go about planning the march in Chapters 2 and 3?
6. Describe the mood of the crown in the beginning of Chapter 4.
7. How does Dick Fontaine figure into the events of this section?
8. How does Mailer think about his family in Chapter 5?
9. How does the tone of the novel shift dramatically at the beginning of Book II?
10. Describe Norman Mailer's arrest in Chapter 6?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)