|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what neighborhood in New York are the acquaintances Mailer encounters in Occaquan?
(a) Upper East Side.
(b) Hell's Kitchen.
(c) Greenwich Village.
(d) Murray Hill.
2. Which of the following titles is not one that Mailer the narrator gives himself, Lowell, and Macdonald in Chapter 4?
(a) The Critic.
(b) The Novelist.
(c) The Journalist.
(d) The Poet.
3. What is the highest estimate given in Chapter 5 for the number of marchers who may attend?
4. In Chapter 2, who does Dellinger bring on a Project Manager for the March?
(a) Ed de Grazia.
(b) Jerry Rubin.
(c) William Kunstler.
(d) Mitch Goodman.
5. What does the Revolutionary Contingent do during the March, as noted in Chapter 5?
(a) It lies prostrate on the lot of the Pentagon.
(b) It throws eggs at departing Pentagon officials' cars.
(c) It physically accosts MP's.
(d) It throws malatov cocktails.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two gods does Mailer insist the war supports in Chapter 7?
2. How does Mailer respond to the band's ritual in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 5, who goes to sleep in the cell with Mailer?
4. Why does Mailer determine it is time to get arrested in the end of Chapter 5?
5. Which character introduced in this section has been arrested 9 times at protests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Mailer list in Chapter 7 for people to be against the war?
2. Why is the Vietnam War fought, according to Mailer in Chapter 7?
3. How does the tone of the novel shift dramatically at the beginning of Book II?
4. How does Mailer think about his family in Chapter 5?
5. What train of people following the the march in Chapter 4?
6. Describe the scene in Occaquan at the beginning of Chapter 6.
7. What bad news greets Mailer when he returns to New York in Chapter 11?
8. Describe Norman Mailer's arrest in Chapter 6?
9. How does Mailer determine it is time to get arrested at the end of Chapter 5?
10. How is the crowd becoming unruly in Chapter 4?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)