|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Mailer use to describe supporters of the ear in Chapter 7?
2. What good news does John Boyle give Mailer in Chapter 3?
(a) They will probably be released.
(b) The march successfully invaded the Pentagon.
(c) They will be fed soon.
(d) Lowell and Macdonald will be in the next group.
3. Which two gods does Mailer insist the war supports in Chapter 7?
(a) Marx and Smith.
(b) Technology and commercialism.
(c) Bloodshed and madness.
(d) Money and power.
4. What sources are reviewed through much of Chapter 5?
(a) Newspaper articles.
(b) Dellinger's journals.
(c) Accounting statements.
(d) Mobilization Committee minutes.
5. What reason does the judge give for giving Mailer a stiffer sentence in Chapter 9?
(a) He has been uncooperative throughout.
(b) He was late to court.
(c) He is older and more influential.
(d) He is a consistent violator of the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Mailer play with a cellmate to pass the time in Chapter 5?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 4, how long has the crown been waiting to march?
3. In Chapter 3, what city does the Steering Committee meet in?
4. Which of the following is not a reason Mailer gives for a person's opposition to the War in Chapter 7?
5. Why did march planning committee visit the Pentagon numerous times before the march?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the tone of the novel shift dramatically at the beginning of Book II?
2. What reasons does Mailer list in Chapter 7 for people to be against the war?
3. How does Dick Fontaine figure into the events of this section?
4. What conclusion does Mailer draw from two articles at the end of Chapter 6?
5. Describe the more extreme voices in the march planning as discussed in Chapter 5.
6. Describe the scene in Occaquan at the beginning of Chapter 6.
7. What permits does the Mobilization Committee get in Chapter 4?
8. How does Mailer fair in court in Chapter 9?
9. What bad news greets Mailer when he returns to New York in Chapter 11?
10. Describe the mood of the crown in the beginning of Chapter 4.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)