|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sport does Mailer liken the debate over Vietnam to in Chapter 5?
2. Who performs first in the event of Chapter 5?
3. What does Goodman in Chapter 2 indicate may happen at the protest?
(a) They may invade the Pentagon.
(b) They may egg the President's care.
(c) Eugene McCarthy may speak.
(d) National press may cover the speeches.
4. In Chapter 2, what word does Mailer want to tell Mitch Goodman to shove?
5. According to the article in Chapter 1, why is Norman Mailer arrested?
(a) He is caught carrying a large bag of marijuana.
(b) He vomits on the Lincoln Memorial.
(c) He crosses a police line.
(d) He punches a presenter at an awards banquet.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what concern does does Goodman have about the route to the Pentagon?
2. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer agree to do the protest?
3. Which of the following men is not quoted by Mailer is having advocated sensory adjudication in Chapter 2?
4. What does Mailer forget to give back to the hostess when he leaves the party in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 2, what drug does Mailer repeatedly decry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What appraisal of Robert Lowell does Mailer make in en route to the Department of Justice in Chapter 3?
2. What does Mailer feel about left-wing splinter groups' names in Chapter 3?
3. What rationalization does Mailer give for taking his book from the hostess's house in Chapter 5?
4. What happens once the group arrives at the Justice Department in Chapter 4?
5. What metaphor does Mailer use in Chapter 5 to describe the Vietnam controvery in America and who takes what sides?
6. Describe the interactions Mailer has with his fellow speakers at the party in Chapter 4.
7. What amusing interchange happens between Mailer and Lowell in this section?
8. How does Mailer characterize the march to the Washington Monument in Chapter 2?
9. What reasoning does Mailer give for placing himself at the center of the narrative of the novel in Chapter 1?
10. Describe the performance space of this section.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)