|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does the audience respond to Mailer's profane tirade?
(a) They boo him.
(b) They give him a standing ovation.
(c) Halk of them walk out.
(d) They applaud politely.
2. How does the audience respond to Lowell's poem in Chapter 6?
(a) They sit impassively.
(b) They leave.
(c) They offer polite applause.
(d) They give a standing ovation.
3. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer specifically not want done to him at the protest, should the police sweep in?
(a) He does not want to be shot.
(b) He does not want to be arrested.
(c) He does not want to be struck.
(d) He does not want to be maced.
4. In Chapter 5, who attempts to silence de Grazia and Mailer as they squabble onstage?
(d) The Time Magazine reporter.
5. In Chapter 1, what is significant about Mailer's state at the time he is arrested?
(a) He is sedated.
(b) He is naked.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mailer and the Chapter 2 caller spend a period of time after college?
2. Who is entertaining the audience when the speakers arrive?
3. At which hotel is Mailer staying?
4. Where do Lowell, Mailer, and Macdonald go after the card return in Chapter 4?
5. What instrument does Mailer keep hearing as he marches to the Washington Memorial in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What appraisal of Robert Lowell does Mailer make in en route to the Department of Justice in Chapter 3?
2. What does Mailer feel about left-wing splinter groups' names in Chapter 3?
3. Describe Norman Mailer as a character.
4. How does Mailer respond to William Sloane Coffin in Chapter 3?
5. Why is Mailer late to emcee the event in Chapter 5?
6. What reasoning does Mailer give for placing himself at the center of the narrative of the novel in Chapter 1?
7. Describe the performance space of this section.
8. What rationalization does Mailer give for taking his book from the hostess's house in Chapter 5?
9. What is the plan for the Justice Department protest?
10. Why is Dwight Macdonald livid about the newspaper coverage of the Ambassador event in Chapter 3?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)