|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mailer's primary complaint about the performance space?
(a) The seats are uncomfortable.
(b) There are no curtains on the stage.
(c) There is no ventilation.
(d) The sound system is bad.
2. What word does Mailer use repeatedly in Chapter 1 to describe the effect of the Pentagon March?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer specifically not want done to him at the protest, should the police sweep in?
(a) He does not want to be struck.
(b) He does not want to be shot.
(c) He does not want to be arrested.
(d) He does not want to be maced.
4. Which famous black leader's sister speaks in Chapter 3?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Bobby Seale.
(c) Medger Evers.
(d) Malcolm X.
5. In Chapter 1, what does Mailer determine is the goal of an invasion of the Pentagon?
(a) To provide Paul Goodman a platform to self-promote.
(b) To obstruct the daily activity of the Pentagon.
(c) To achieve publicity for the next day's events.
(d) To wound the American military symbolically.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the audience respond to Lowell's poem in Chapter 6?
2. What does Mailer liken himself to when he begins emceeing in Chapter 5?
3. Whose "dwarf alter ego" did Mailer claim to be at the Ambassador speech, according to Macdonald in Chapter 3?
4. How does Mailer dismiss de Grazia from the stage to begin emceeing the night in Chapter 5?
5. What is the central action of the protest Mailer is invited to in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mailer characterize the march to the Washington Monument in Chapter 2?
2. What metaphor does Mailer use in Chapter 5 to describe the Vietnam controvery in America and who takes what sides?
3. What does Mailer feel about left-wing splinter groups' names in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Mailer agree to join the Pentagon protest in Chapter 2?
5. What does Mailer find at the church in Chapter 3?
6. What concerns Goodman about the protest planning in Chapter 3?
7. How is Mailer received after Lowell in Chapter 6?
8. How does Mailer respond to William Sloane Coffin in Chapter 3?
9. What state is Mailer in when he leaves the party in Chapter 4?
10. How does Mailer annoy Ed de Grazia in Chapter 4?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)