|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does Mailer characterize Macdonald politically?
(a) An anti-communist.
(b) A know-nothing.
(c) A libertarian.
(d) A Trotskyite.
2. Which descriptor best describes Mailer's feelings while watching Lowell speak in Chapter 6?
3. At what theatre is the presentation of Chapter 5 located?
(a) The National Theatre.
(b) The Arena.
(c) The Ambassador.
(d) Ford's Theatre.
4. Who is entertaining the audience when the speakers arrive?
(a) A troup of mimes.
(b) An improv group.
(c) A poet.
(d) A folk music group.
5. What other protest speaker is on the same plane as with Mailer in Chapter 3?
(a) Dwight Macdonald.
(b) Paul Goodman.
(c) Ed de Grazia.
(d) Robert Lowell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mailer forget to give back to the hostess when he leaves the party in Chapter 4?
2. What is significant about the way Lowell recites his poetry in Chapter 6?
3. What does Mailer recall as he walks toward the Washington Monument in Chapter 2?
4. Why do Mailer, Macdonald and Lowell want to be arrested first on Saturday?
5. Which of the following ideas is not something that Mailer declares the young generation believes in more fervently than its forebears in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dwight Macdonald livid about the newspaper coverage of the Ambassador event in Chapter 3?
2. Why is Mailer late to emcee the event in Chapter 5?
3. What concerns Goodman about the protest planning in Chapter 3?
4. Describe the performance space of this section.
5. How does Mailer annoy Ed de Grazia in Chapter 4?
6. Why are Mailer, Macdonald, and Lowell ambivalent about getting arrested in Chapter 1?
7. Why does Mailer agree to join the Pentagon protest in Chapter 2?
8. What metaphor does Mailer use in Chapter 5 to describe the Vietnam controvery in America and who takes what sides?
9. What amusing interchange happens between Mailer and Lowell in this section?
10. Describe Mailer's emceeing in Chapters 5 and 6?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)