|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer agree to do the protest?
(a) Cover it for the Village Voice.
(b) Be photographed with the organizer.
(c) Speak at it.
(d) Stay away from it.
2. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer specifically not want done to him at the protest, should the police sweep in?
(a) He does not want to be arrested.
(b) He does not want to be maced.
(c) He does not want to be shot.
(d) He does not want to be struck.
3. How does Mailer dismiss de Grazia from the stage to begin emceeing the night in Chapter 5?
(a) He waltzes him off the stage.
(b) He slaps his behind.
(c) He orders him to fetch some water.
(d) He pushes him over.
4. Where do Lowell, Mailer, and Macdonald go after the card return in Chapter 4?
(a) A hot-dog stand.
(b) A bar.
(c) The Pentagon.
(d) The hotel.
5. What does Mailer intimate about his drinking the night before Chapter 1?
(a) He did not get very drunk.
(b) He became belligerent toward his fellow writers.
(c) He blacked out.
(d) He abstained from all alcohol.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does Mailer characterize Macdonald politically?
2. In Chapter 1, Mailer claims that America's New Left is drawing its political aesthetic from what country?
3. What response does Coffin get to his turning in of the draft cards in Chapter 4?
4. What is the central action of the protest Mailer is invited to in Chapter 2?
5. What does Mailer forget to give back to the hostess when he leaves the party in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mailer late to emcee the event in Chapter 5?
2. Describe Mailer's emceeing in Chapters 5 and 6?
3. What state is Mailer in when he leaves the party in Chapter 4?
4. Describe the performance space of this section.
5. What concerns Goodman about the protest planning in Chapter 3?
6. What is Mailer's attitude toward protest at the beginning of the novel?
7. What does Mailer find at the church in Chapter 3?
8. How do Ed de Grazia and Mailer scuffle in Chapter 5?
9. What appraisal of Robert Lowell does Mailer make in en route to the Department of Justice in Chapter 3?
10. How does Mailer characterize the march to the Washington Monument in Chapter 2?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)