|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is emceeing when Mailer arrives to the theatre in Chapter 5?
(b) de Grazia.
2. What does Mailer drink during the party of Chapter 4?
3. According to Mailer in Chapter 3, how did Robert Lowell avoid fighting in World War II?
(a) He worked in a munitions factory.
(b) He became a foreign correspondent for the AP.
(c) He was a conscientious objector.
(d) He has flat feet.
4. Which famous black leader's sister speaks in Chapter 3?
(a) Malcolm X.
(b) Medger Evers.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Bobby Seale.
5. Where does Chapter 2 take place?
(a) A New York bistro.
(b) A publishing house.
(c) Mailer's den.
(d) An office on I Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Mailer compare his hangover in Chapter 2?
2. What is significant about the way Lowell recites his poetry in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 6, how does Mailer characterize Macdonald politically?
4. Which of Mailer's books is he clinging onto at he enters the theatre in Chapter 5?
5. What is scheduled to happen in Washington, DC, the day that Mailer arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mailer find at the church in Chapter 3?
2. Describe the interactions Mailer has with his fellow speakers at the party in Chapter 4.
3. How does Mailer respond to William Sloane Coffin in Chapter 3?
4. How is Robert Lowell received by the audience?
5. What happens once the group arrives at the Justice Department in Chapter 4?
6. Describe Mailer's emceeing in Chapters 5 and 6?
7. What narrative is told by the Time Magazine article of Chapter 1?
8. Why is Dwight Macdonald livid about the newspaper coverage of the Ambassador event in Chapter 3?
9. How is Mailer received after Lowell in Chapter 6?
10. Describe Norman Mailer as a character.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)