|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what is significant about Mailer's state at the time he is arrested?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is sedated.
(c) He is naked.
(d) He is asleep.
2. At which hotel is Mailer staying?
(a) The Hay-Adams.
(b) The Willard.
(c) The Watergate.
(d) The Marriot.
3. What does Goodman in Chapter 2 indicate may happen at the protest?
(a) They may egg the President's care.
(b) National press may cover the speeches.
(c) They may invade the Pentagon.
(d) Eugene McCarthy may speak.
4. In Chapter 3, what concern does does Goodman have about the route to the Pentagon?
(a) The route involves a numer of sudden turns.
(b) There are rumors of roadblocks on the road.
(c) Know one knows the route.
(d) Law enforcement wants them to take the narrowest road.
5. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer specifically not want done to him at the protest, should the police sweep in?
(a) He does not want to be struck.
(b) He does not want to be arrested.
(c) He does not want to be shot.
(d) He does not want to be maced.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a style of dress that marchers wear in Chapter 2?
2. Where do Lowell, Mailer, and Macdonald go after the card return in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 1, Mailer claims that America's New Left is drawing its political aesthetic from what country?
4. Which of the following locations is not one that Mailer mentions rioting over the Vietnam issue in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer agree to do the protest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rationalization does Mailer give for taking his book from the hostess's house in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Mailer agree to join the Pentagon protest in Chapter 2?
3. Why is Dwight Macdonald livid about the newspaper coverage of the Ambassador event in Chapter 3?
4. What narrative is told by the Time Magazine article of Chapter 1?
5. What does Mailer find at the church in Chapter 3?
6. What appraisal of Robert Lowell does Mailer make in en route to the Department of Justice in Chapter 3?
7. Describe the performance space of this section.
8. How does Mailer respond to William Sloane Coffin in Chapter 3?
9. What is Mailer's attitude toward protest at the beginning of the novel?
10. How does Mailer annoy Ed de Grazia in Chapter 4?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)