|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Chapter 2 take place?
(a) A New York bistro.
(b) A publishing house.
(c) An office on I Street.
(d) Mailer's den.
2. In Chapter 6, how does the audience respond to Mailer's profane tirade?
(a) They applaud politely.
(b) They give him a standing ovation.
(c) Halk of them walk out.
(d) They boo him.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Mailer resolve to do?
(a) Slip out of Washingotn in the afternoon.
(b) Punch Mitch Goodman.
(c) Get arrested.
(d) Stay sober for the march.
4. In Chapter 2, to whom does Mailer state he holds final allegiance?
(c) Fellow artists.
(d) The government.
5. Who is entertaining the audience when the speakers arrive?
(a) A folk music group.
(b) An improv group.
(c) A troup of mimes.
(d) A poet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mailer doing in Chapter 5 when a Time Magazine correspondent approaches him?
2. What does Mailer liken himself to when he begins emceeing in Chapter 5?
3. How long has the audience been waiting when the speakers arrive at the theatre in Chapter 5?
4. At which hotel is Mailer staying?
5. Where are the protest speakers going when they leave the part at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Norman Mailer characterize his hangover in Chapter 2?
2. What does Mailer find at the church in Chapter 3?
3. Why are Mailer, Macdonald, and Lowell ambivalent about getting arrested in Chapter 1?
4. What concerns Goodman about the protest planning in Chapter 3?
5. What does Mailer pointedly note about the black delegates at the march in Chapter 3?
6. How is Robert Lowell received by the audience?
7. Why does Mailer state he does not have a good instinct for speeches at protests?
8. Why is Dwight Macdonald livid about the newspaper coverage of the Ambassador event in Chapter 3?
9. What reasoning does Mailer give for placing himself at the center of the narrative of the novel in Chapter 1?
10. What does Mailer feel about left-wing splinter groups' names in Chapter 3?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)