|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Ivy League university did both Mailer and the Chapter 2 caller graduate from?
2. In Chapter 3, Mailer states that left-wing groups should choose names similar to what?
(a) Right-wing groups.
(b) Motorcycle gangs.
(c) Fortune 500 companies.
(d) Religious sects.
3. Why does Mailer's conversation with Macdonald become awkward in Chapter 4?
(a) Macdonald is reviewing Mailer's book.
(b) Macdonald got the post at the New Yorker Mailer wants.
(c) Mailer is sleeping with Macdonald's wife.
(d) Mailer has recently discovered he's on the Pulitzer short list.
4. What strain of sociopolitical thinking does Mailer chart through America in a speech in Chapter 1?
(a) Trade protectionism.
(c) Fiscal conservatism.
5. What is the central action of the protest Mailer is invited to in Chapter 2?
(a) The barricading of the Department of Justice.
(b) The obstructing of traffic outside the White House.
(c) The returning of war medals.
(d) The turning in of draft cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer agree to do the protest?
2. What does Mailer liken himself to when he begins emceeing in Chapter 5?
3. What vulgar story does Mailer tell the assembled audience in Chapter 6?
4. What does Mailer drink during the party of Chapter 4?
5. What does Mailer carry with him when he leaves the part in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interactions Mailer has with his fellow speakers at the party in Chapter 4.
2. What amusing interchange happens between Mailer and Lowell in this section?
3. What does Mailer pointedly note about the black delegates at the march in Chapter 3?
4. Describe Norman Mailer as a character.
5. What is the plan for the Justice Department protest?
6. How do Ed de Grazia and Mailer scuffle in Chapter 5?
7. Why does Mailer state he does not have a good instinct for speeches at protests?
8. What happens once the group arrives at the Justice Department in Chapter 4?
9. Why does Mailer agree to join the Pentagon protest in Chapter 2?
10. Why is Dwight Macdonald livid about the newspaper coverage of the Ambassador event in Chapter 3?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)