|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 1, to what does Mailer compare the atmosphere of the Hay-Adams breakfast crowd?
(a) The running of the bulls,
(b) A whorehouse.
(c) A class reunion.
(d) A press conference.
2. What is scheduled to happen in Washington, DC, the day that Mailer arrives?
(a) A dinner at the Watergate.
(b) A small concert on the Mall.
(c) A march to the Capitol.
(d) A series of speeches at a theatre.
3. According to the article in Chapter 1, why is Norman Mailer arrested?
(a) He punches a presenter at an awards banquet.
(b) He crosses a police line.
(c) He is caught carrying a large bag of marijuana.
(d) He vomits on the Lincoln Memorial.
4. At what theatre is the presentation of Chapter 5 located?
(a) The Ambassador.
(b) The National Theatre.
(c) Ford's Theatre.
(d) The Arena.
5. Who speaks with Mitch Goodman at the Justice Department in Chapter 4?
(a) Norman Mailer.
(b) Dr. Ben Spock.
(c) Robert Lowell.
(d) Noam Chomsky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which social or literary figure calls Mailer in Chapter 2?
2. Where does Chapter 2 take place?
3. Who is William Sloane Coffin?
4. What does Mailer drink during the party of Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 6, how does the audience respond to Mailer's profane tirade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What appraisal of Robert Lowell does Mailer make in en route to the Department of Justice in Chapter 3?
2. Why are Mailer, Macdonald, and Lowell ambivalent about getting arrested in Chapter 1?
3. How does Mailer respond to William Sloane Coffin in Chapter 3?
4. How is Robert Lowell received by the audience?
5. What does Mailer pointedly note about the black delegates at the march in Chapter 3?
6. What metaphor does Mailer use in Chapter 5 to describe the Vietnam controvery in America and who takes what sides?
7. What reasoning does Mailer give for placing himself at the center of the narrative of the novel in Chapter 1?
8. What does Mailer find at the church in Chapter 3?
9. Describe Norman Mailer as a character.
10. What amusing interchange happens between Mailer and Lowell in this section?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)