|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does Mailer use to stand in for any sort of improvised speech?
(d) Holding court.
2. Which of the following ideas is not something that Mailer declares the young generation believes in more fervently than its forebears in Chapter 1?
(a) Hegelian dialectics.
3. What does Mailer forget to give back to the hostess when he leaves the party in Chapter 4?
(a) A cloth napkin.
(b) Her housekey.
(c) A copy of his book.
(d) Her husband's necktie.
4. What does Mailer intimate about his drinking the night before Chapter 1?
(a) He did not get very drunk.
(b) He abstained from all alcohol.
(c) He blacked out.
(d) He became belligerent toward his fellow writers.
5. Which famous black leader's sister speaks in Chapter 3?
(a) Malcolm X.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) Bobby Seale.
(d) Medger Evers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer agree to do the protest?
2. What does Goodman in Chapter 2 indicate may happen at the protest?
3. Where do Lowell, Mailer, and Macdonald go after the card return in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 4, what events does Mailer contend are always the same?
5. How long has the audience been waiting when the speakers arrive at the theatre in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mailer annoy Ed de Grazia in Chapter 4?
2. Describe Mailer's emceeing in Chapters 5 and 6?
3. Why is Mailer late to emcee the event in Chapter 5?
4. How is Robert Lowell received by the audience?
5. Describe the interactions Mailer has with his fellow speakers at the party in Chapter 4.
6. What concerns Goodman about the protest planning in Chapter 3?
7. What narrative is told by the Time Magazine article of Chapter 1?
8. What metaphor does Mailer use in Chapter 5 to describe the Vietnam controvery in America and who takes what sides?
9. How do Ed de Grazia and Mailer scuffle in Chapter 5?
10. How is Mailer received after Lowell in Chapter 6?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)