|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Ivy League university did both Mailer and the Chapter 2 caller graduate from?
2. To what does Mailer compare his hangover in Chapter 2?
(a) A garbage heap.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) An atomic bomb.
3. What word does Mailer use repeatedly in Chapter 1 to describe the effect of the Pentagon March?
4. Which of the following ideas is not something that Mailer declares the young generation believes in more fervently than its forebears in Chapter 1?
(a) Hegelian dialectics.
5. In Chapter 6, how does the audience respond to Mailer's profane tirade?
(a) They applaud politely.
(b) Halk of them walk out.
(c) They give him a standing ovation.
(d) They boo him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks with Mitch Goodman at the Justice Department in Chapter 4?
2. Where did Mailer and the Chapter 2 caller spend a period of time after college?
3. In Chapter 1, what is significant about Mailer's state at the time he is arrested?
4. Who performs first in the event of Chapter 5?
5. Why do Mailer, Macdonald and Lowell want to be arrested first on Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasoning does Mailer give for placing himself at the center of the narrative of the novel in Chapter 1?
2. What do the Fugs do at the Pentagon in Chapter 5?
3. In the detain room in Chapter 3, what strikes Mailer about the people around him?
4. What do the MP's and the marchers have in common, according to Mailer in Chapter 6?
5. How does Mailer characterize the march to the Washington Monument in Chapter 2?
6. What comic episode happens when Mailer is getting changed for his arraignment in Chapter 8?
7. Why are Mailer, Macdonald, and Lowell ambivalent about getting arrested in Chapter 1?
8. Describe the interactions Mailer has with his fellow speakers at the party in Chapter 4.
9. What state is Mailer in when he leaves the party in Chapter 4?
10. Describe Norman Mailer's arrest in Chapter 6?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)