|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mailer liken himself to when he begins emceeing in Chapter 5?
(a) A mason laying foundation.
(b) A lawyer parsing words.
(c) A surgeon tending a breech birth.
(d) A jazz musician riffing on a theme.
2. In Chapter 2, to whom does Mailer state he holds final allegiance?
(c) The government.
(d) Fellow artists.
3. What does Goodman in Chapter 2 indicate may happen at the protest?
(a) They may egg the President's care.
(b) They may invade the Pentagon.
(c) Eugene McCarthy may speak.
(d) National press may cover the speeches.
4. How many draft cards are turned in at Justice in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 5, who attempts to silence de Grazia and Mailer as they squabble onstage?
(d) The Time Magazine reporter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mailer take from de Grazia in Chapter 4?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 1, to what does Mailer compare the atmosphere of the Hay-Adams breakfast crowd?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Mailer claim the young generation hates more than anything else?
4. Where do the organizers of the March go for breakfast in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 1, what is significant about Mailer's state at the time he is arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Mailer use in Chapter 5 to describe the Vietnam controvery in America and who takes what sides?
2. Why is Dwight Macdonald livid about the newspaper coverage of the Ambassador event in Chapter 3?
3. Describe Norman Mailer as a character.
4. What concerns Goodman about the protest planning in Chapter 3?
5. How is Mailer received after Lowell in Chapter 6?
6. What does Mailer find at the church in Chapter 3?
7. What does Mailer feel about left-wing splinter groups' names in Chapter 3?
8. What appraisal of Robert Lowell does Mailer make in en route to the Department of Justice in Chapter 3?
9. How do Ed de Grazia and Mailer scuffle in Chapter 5?
10. Describe the performance space of this section.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)