|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two gods does Mailer insist the war supports in Chapter 7?
(a) Money and power.
(b) Marx and Smith.
(c) Technology and commercialism.
(d) Bloodshed and madness.
2. How does Mailer describe the MP's face at the end of Chapter 1?
3. In what month is the March held?
4. What does Mailer tell Fontain about his arrest in Chapter 1?
(a) It is unjust.
(b) It is not the first time he has been in handcuffs.
(c) It was done correctly.
(d) It will not stop the cause.
5. Who arrives in in Chapter 4 as the protesters are forming ranks?
(a) The Black Panthers.
(b) The police.
(c) Noam Chomsky.
(d) Televisions crews.
6. From what neighborhood in New York are the acquaintances Mailer encounters in Occaquan?
(a) Upper East Side.
(b) Hell's Kitchen.
(c) Murray Hill.
(d) Greenwich Village.
7. In Chapter 1 of Book II, to whom does the "writer" pass the baton?
(a) The journalist.
(b) The historian.
(c) The essayist.
(d) The revolutionary.
8. How is Mailer certain the MP in Chapter 6 is not going to hit him?
(a) He says he is a fan.
(b) He is black.
(c) His hand is trembling.
(d) He does not have a club.
9. Counting his current one, how many wives has Mailer had?
10. What is happening to Mailer at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) He is lying on the ground after being maced.
(b) He is giving a television interview.
(c) He is being arrested.
(d) He is sleeping under a tree.
11. What good news does John Boyle give Mailer in Chapter 3?
(a) Lowell and Macdonald will be in the next group.
(b) They will be fed soon.
(c) The march successfully invaded the Pentagon.
(d) They will probably be released.
12. How many days in jail is Mailer sentenced to in Chapter 9?
13. Which of the following titles is not one that Mailer the narrator gives himself, Lowell, and Macdonald in Chapter 4?
(a) The Journalist.
(b) The Poet.
(c) The Critic.
(d) The Novelist.
14. About what do the arrested marchers speculate at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) What the coverage of the march will highlight.
(b) Whether they will have to spend the night in jail.
(c) If Robert Lowell was arrested.
(d) If they will have to serve time.
15. What reason does the judge give for giving Mailer a stiffer sentence in Chapter 9?
(a) He is a consistent violator of the law.
(b) He was late to court.
(c) He is older and more influential.
(d) He has been uncooperative throughout.
Short Answer Questions
1. Next to what famous left icon's bunk does Mailer lay down at the end of Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 6, Mailer acknowledges that what was present on both sides of the line at the Pentagon?
3. Why did march planning committee visit the Pentagon numerous times before the march?
4. How is Mailer dressed for court in Chapter 9?
5. After a term in which of Mailer's books has the band named itself?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)