|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mailer plead at his lawyer's suggestion?
(a) Not guilty.
(b) No contest.
(c) He refuses to acknowledge the legitimacy of the court.
2. To what ancient monument does Mailer compare the Pentagon in Chapter 4?
(a) The Colloseum.
(b) The Pyramids.
(c) The Tower of Babel.
(d) The Great Wall.
3. What game does Mailer play with a cellmate to pass the time in Chapter 5?
(b) 20 questions.
(d) Gin rummy.
4. What is Mailer worried about missing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(b) His medication time.
(c) Lowell's party.
5. Which two gods does Mailer insist the war supports in Chapter 7?
(a) Technology and commercialism.
(b) Marx and Smith.
(c) Bloodshed and madness.
(d) Money and power.
6. What Communist leader's writings is Walter Teague teaching in Chapter 6?
7. Which writer does Mailer think he is a stand-in for the young people in Chapter 7?
8. What word does Mailer use to describe supporters of the ear in Chapter 7?
9. Who in Chapter 5, is completely enthralled by the band's activities?
10. What good news does John Boyle give Mailer in Chapter 3?
(a) The march successfully invaded the Pentagon.
(b) Lowell and Macdonald will be in the next group.
(c) They will be fed soon.
(d) They will probably be released.
11. Which character introduced in this section has been arrested 9 times at protests?
(a) The "nazi."
(b) The Hungarian freedom fighter.
(c) John Boyle.
(d) Walter Teague.
12. What state is the MP from?
(a) West Virginia.
(b) New Jersey.
13. What is the highest estimate given in Chapter 5 for the number of marchers who may attend?
14. What word best describes the collective mood of the protesters at the beginning of Chapter 4?
15. Which of the following is not a reason Mailer gives for a person's opposition to the War in Chapter 7?
(a) He believes it is an unjust war.
(b) He has Communist sympathies.
(c) He is afraid of the draft.
(d) He is a pacifist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an area that the attorney of Chapter 4 gets permission for protest activity?
2. Who is Mailer's lawyer in Chapter 9?
3. What does Mailer tell Fontain about his arrest in Chapter 1?
4. How does Mailer respond to the band's ritual in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 4, to what does Mailer compare the people on the bus?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)