|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of overtones are part of Mailer's speech in Chapter 10?
2. Where is the bus in Chapter 4 taking Mailer and the other marchers?
(a) A police station in Bethesda.
(b) A bus depot in Brookland.
(c) A post office in Alexandria.
(d) A school in Baltimore.
3. Which character introduced in this section has been arrested 9 times at protests?
(a) John Boyle.
(b) The "nazi."
(c) The Hungarian freedom fighter.
(d) Walter Teague.
4. How is Mailer certain the MP in Chapter 6 is not going to hit him?
(a) He is black.
(b) His hand is trembling.
(c) He says he is a fan.
(d) He does not have a club.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 4, how long has the crown been waiting to march?
(a) Several hours.
(b) Fifteen minutes.
(c) About one hour.
(d) Half an hour.
6. In Chapter 1 of Book II, to whom does the "writer" pass the baton?
(a) The historian.
(b) The revolutionary.
(c) The journalist.
(d) The essayist.
7. How many marchers does the New York Times suggest will be at the Pentagon protest in Chapter 5?
8. What type of quasi-religious ceremony does the music group perform in Chapter 5?
(a) An exorcism.
(b) A laying-on of hands.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A baptism.
9. Which of the following militant groups chooses to sit and hold their ground at the March?
(b) The Symbionese Liberation Army.
(c) The Weathermen.
(d) The Black Panthers.
10. What does one of the older gentlemen tell a young black man who gets overly angry in Chapter 4?
(a) To just go home.
(b) To lead the way to the Pentagon.
(c) To have a swig of scotch.
(d) To speak to one of the monitors.
11. How does Mailer describe the MP's face at the end of Chapter 1?
12. How is Mailer dressed for court in Chapter 9?
(a) A dashiki.
(b) A vest, tie, and cufflinks.
(c) He is naked.
(d) A tee shirt and jeans.
13. Next to what famous left icon's bunk does Mailer lay down at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Dan Berrigan.
(b) Noam Chomsky.
(c) Abbie Hoffman.
(d) Wavy Gravy.
14. Which New York-based journalist is quoted at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Truman Capote.
(b) Jimmy Breslin.
(c) Pauline Kael.
(d) Frank Rich.
15. In Chapter 5, what is Mailer's assessment of the mistake the Revolutionary Contingent made during the march?
(a) It lacked a clear system of communication.
(b) It acted too soon.
(c) It was poorly armed.
(d) It was too spread out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mailer signal that he wants to be arrested at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. Which of the following is not a reason Mailer gives for a person's opposition to the War in Chapter 7?
3. Which of the following is not an area that the attorney of Chapter 4 gets permission for protest activity?
4. Who in the Volkswagen does the MP subdue in Chapter 2?
5. Who in Chapter 5, is completely enthralled by the band's activities?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)