|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what neighborhood in New York are the acquaintances Mailer encounters in Occaquan?
(a) Murray Hill.
(b) Hell's Kitchen.
(c) Upper East Side.
(d) Greenwich Village.
2. To what does Mailer compare the MP's on the bus in Chapter 4?
(b) Keystone cops.
(d) Substitute teachers.
3. Which of the following titles is not one that Mailer the narrator gives himself, Lowell, and Macdonald in Chapter 4?
(a) The Novelist.
(b) The Critic.
(c) The Journalist.
(d) The Poet.
4. What left-wing attorney does the Mobilization Committee meet with in Chapter 4?
(c) de Grazia.
(d) Van Cleve.
5. What game does Mailer play with a cellmate to pass the time in Chapter 5?
(c) 20 questions.
(d) Gin rummy.
6. In Chapter 5, what is Mailer's assessment of the mistake the Revolutionary Contingent made during the march?
(a) It lacked a clear system of communication.
(b) It was poorly armed.
(c) It acted too soon.
(d) It was too spread out.
7. What good news does John Boyle give Mailer in Chapter 3?
(a) Lowell and Macdonald will be in the next group.
(b) The march successfully invaded the Pentagon.
(c) They will be fed soon.
(d) They will probably be released.
8. What is Mailer worried about missing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(c) His medication time.
(d) Lowell's party.
9. How does Mailer plead at his lawyer's suggestion?
(a) He refuses to acknowledge the legitimacy of the court.
(b) Not guilty.
(c) No contest.
10. Which character introduced in this section has been arrested 9 times at protests?
(a) John Boyle.
(b) The Hungarian freedom fighter.
(c) Walter Teague.
(d) The "nazi."
11. What word best describes the collective mood of the protesters at the beginning of Chapter 4?
12. How many marchers does the New York Times suggest will be at the Pentagon protest in Chapter 5?
13. Who in the Volkswagen does the MP subdue in Chapter 2?
(a) The "Nazi."
(c) Walter Teague.
(d) The freedom fighter.
14. What is Dick Fontaine doing at the march in Chapter 1?
(a) Playing guitar.
(b) Filming Mailer.
(c) Dispersing masks for tear gas.
(d) Providing legal support.
15. Who is waiting her Mailer when he arrives at booking in Occoquan at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) His documentary crew.
(b) Mitch Goodman.
(c) A hired driver and car to the airport.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the judge give for giving Mailer a stiffer sentence in Chapter 9?
2. What state is the MP from?
3. What sources are reviewed through much of Chapter 5?
4. What type of quasi-religious ceremony does the music group perform in Chapter 5?
5. Where is the bus in Chapter 4 taking Mailer and the other marchers?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)