|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many marchers does the New York Times suggest will be at the Pentagon protest in Chapter 5?
2. What game does Mailer play with a cellmate to pass the time in Chapter 5?
(b) 20 questions.
(c) Gin rummy.
3. In Chapter 2, who does Dellinger bring on a Project Manager for the March?
(a) Jerry Rubin.
(b) Ed de Grazia.
(c) William Kunstler.
(d) Mitch Goodman.
4. About what do the arrested marchers speculate at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) What the coverage of the march will highlight.
(b) If Robert Lowell was arrested.
(c) If they will have to serve time.
(d) Whether they will have to spend the night in jail.
5. What reason does the judge give for giving Mailer a stiffer sentence in Chapter 9?
(a) He is a consistent violator of the law.
(b) He has been uncooperative throughout.
(c) He is older and more influential.
(d) He was late to court.
6. In Chapter 3, what city does the Steering Committee meet in?
(d) New York.
7. What city is Mailer in at the end of this section?
(b) New York.
(d) Washington, DC.
8. How does Mailer describe the MP's face at the end of Chapter 1?
9. What is happening to Mailer at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) He is sleeping under a tree.
(b) He is giving a television interview.
(c) He is being arrested.
(d) He is lying on the ground after being maced.
10. How many days in jail is Mailer sentenced to in Chapter 9?
11. What sources are reviewed through much of Chapter 5?
(a) Dellinger's journals.
(b) Newspaper articles.
(c) Mobilization Committee minutes.
(d) Accounting statements.
12. Who in the Volkswagen does the MP subdue in Chapter 2?
(b) Walter Teague.
(c) The "Nazi."
(d) The freedom fighter.
13. What does one of the older gentlemen tell a young black man who gets overly angry in Chapter 4?
(a) To have a swig of scotch.
(b) To lead the way to the Pentagon.
(c) To speak to one of the monitors.
(d) To just go home.
14. Who is Mailer's lawyer in Chapter 9?
(b) de Grazia.
15. What is Donald Kalish's profession?
(a) He is a news reporter.
(b) He is a professor.
(c) He is a priest.
(d) He is a writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Mailer's writer friends is present in the Volkswagen with him in Chapter 2?
2. Which music group is playing at the Pentagon in Chapter 5?
3. How does Mailer plead at his lawyer's suggestion?
4. At what time in Chapter 8 does Teague begin his lectures again?
5. How does Mailer signal that he wants to be arrested at the beginning of Chapter 6?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)