|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mailer's lawyer in Chapter 9?
(c) de Grazia.
2. Who in the Volkswagen does the MP subdue in Chapter 2?
(a) The freedom fighter.
(b) The "Nazi."
(c) Walter Teague.
3. What game does Mailer play with a cellmate to pass the time in Chapter 5?
(c) 20 questions.
(d) Gin rummy.
4. From what neighborhood in New York are the acquaintances Mailer encounters in Occaquan?
(a) Hell's Kitchen.
(b) Murray Hill.
(c) Greenwich Village.
(d) Upper East Side.
5. What does Mailer tell Fontain about his arrest in Chapter 1?
(a) It is not the first time he has been in handcuffs.
(b) It is unjust.
(c) It was done correctly.
(d) It will not stop the cause.
6. What is Mailer worried about missing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Lowell's party.
(d) His medication time.
7. Which of Mailer's writer friends is present in the Volkswagen with him in Chapter 2?
(a) Robert Lowell.
(b) None of them.
(c) Dwight Macdonald.
(d) Paul Goodman.
8. What type of overtones are part of Mailer's speech in Chapter 10?
9. How many days in jail is Mailer sentenced to in Chapter 9?
10. Which of the following is not something Mailer describes as the march begins in Chapter 4?
(a) Reporters vying for the best shots.
(b) Helicopters flying overhead.
(c) Police beating riot shields.
(d) Cars driving slowly past the march.
11. How is Mailer dressed for court in Chapter 9?
(a) He is naked.
(b) A tee shirt and jeans.
(c) A dashiki.
(d) A vest, tie, and cufflinks.
12. Where is the bus in Chapter 4 taking Mailer and the other marchers?
(a) A post office in Alexandria.
(b) A police station in Bethesda.
(c) A bus depot in Brookland.
(d) A school in Baltimore.
13. At what time in Chapter 8 does Teague begin his lectures again?
(a) 8 AM.
(b) 12 PM.
(c) 5 AM.
(d) 4 PM.
14. About what do the arrested marchers speculate at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Whether they will have to spend the night in jail.
(b) What the coverage of the march will highlight.
(c) If they will have to serve time.
(d) If Robert Lowell was arrested.
15. Which of the following is not a reason Mailer gives for a person's opposition to the War in Chapter 7?
(a) He has Communist sympathies.
(b) He is afraid of the draft.
(c) He is a pacifist.
(d) He believes it is an unjust war.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, to what does Mailer compare the people on the bus?
2. What is happening to Mailer at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What reason does the judge give for giving Mailer a stiffer sentence in Chapter 9?
4. What word does Mailer use to describe supporters of the ear in Chapter 7?
5. What does one of the older gentlemen tell a young black man who gets overly angry in Chapter 4?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)