|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality is the "Nazi" who antagonizes Mailer in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 5, who goes to sleep in the cell with Mailer?
(a) Walter Teague.
(b) The Hungarian freedom fighter.
(c) John Doyle.
(d) Robert Lowell.
3. What does one of the older gentlemen tell a young black man who gets overly angry in Chapter 4?
(a) To lead the way to the Pentagon.
(b) To just go home.
(c) To speak to one of the monitors.
(d) To have a swig of scotch.
4. What is the stated goal of the March, as articulated by the Steering Committee in Chapter 3?
(a) To raise awareness of illegal bombing in Laos and Cambodia.
(b) To end the war in Vietnam.
(c) To shut down the war-making machine.
(d) To draw attention to the cost of the War.
5. What does Mailer begin working on in Occaquan in Chapter 7?
(a) An outline for a new novel.
(b) An open letter to the papers.
(c) A rebuttal to Teague's ideology.
(d) His speech upon release.
6. Why does Mailer determine it is time to get arrested in the end of Chapter 5?
(a) People begin fleeing.
(b) Mitch Goodman signals him.
(c) The band stops playing.
(d) The afternoon is getting late.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 4, how long has the crown been waiting to march?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) Several hours.
(c) Fifteen minutes.
(d) About one hour.
8. What word best describes the collective mood of the protesters at the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. In Chapter 5, what is Mailer's assessment of the mistake the Revolutionary Contingent made during the march?
(a) It was poorly armed.
(b) It acted too soon.
(c) It was too spread out.
(d) It lacked a clear system of communication.
10. What is Donald Kalish's profession?
(a) He is a writer.
(b) He is a news reporter.
(c) He is a priest.
(d) He is a professor.
11. Who in Chapter 5, is completely enthralled by the band's activities?
12. What game does Mailer play with a cellmate to pass the time in Chapter 5?
(b) Gin rummy.
(c) 20 questions.
13. Who in the Volkswagen does the MP subdue in Chapter 2?
(a) The freedom fighter.
(c) The "Nazi."
(d) Walter Teague.
14. At what time in Chapter 8 does Teague begin his lectures again?
(a) 12 PM.
(b) 5 AM.
(c) 4 PM.
(d) 8 AM.
15. Which New York-based journalist is quoted at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Frank Rich.
(b) Jimmy Breslin.
(c) Pauline Kael.
(d) Truman Capote.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mailer tell Fontain about his arrest in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 3, what city does the Steering Committee meet in?
3. What does the Revolutionary Contingent do during the March, as noted in Chapter 5?
4. Who arrives in in Chapter 4 as the protesters are forming ranks?
5. From what neighborhood in New York are the acquaintances Mailer encounters in Occaquan?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)