|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, how long has the crown been waiting to march?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) Several hours.
(c) Fifteen minutes.
(d) About one hour.
2. In what month is the March held?
3. What does Mailer begin working on in Occaquan in Chapter 7?
(a) An open letter to the papers.
(b) A rebuttal to Teague's ideology.
(c) His speech upon release.
(d) An outline for a new novel.
4. In Chapter 6, Mailer acknowledges that what was present on both sides of the line at the Pentagon?
5. Which of Mailer's writer friends is present in the Volkswagen with him in Chapter 2?
(a) Dwight Macdonald.
(b) Paul Goodman.
(c) None of them.
(d) Robert Lowell.
6. How many days in jail is Mailer sentenced to in Chapter 9?
7. In Chapter 4, to what does Mailer compare the people on the bus?
(a) A group of kindergarteners.
(b) A rock band on tour.
(c) A family reunion.
(d) A high school sports team.
8. Who is Mailer's lawyer in Chapter 9?
(a) de Grazia.
9. Who arrives in in Chapter 4 as the protesters are forming ranks?
(a) The Black Panthers.
(b) Televisions crews.
(c) The police.
(d) Noam Chomsky.
10. Which character introduced in this section has been arrested 9 times at protests?
(a) Walter Teague.
(b) The "nazi."
(c) John Boyle.
(d) The Hungarian freedom fighter.
11. Which of the following titles is not one that Mailer the narrator gives himself, Lowell, and Macdonald in Chapter 4?
(a) The Poet.
(b) The Novelist.
(c) The Journalist.
(d) The Critic.
12. What is Donald Kalish's profession?
(a) He is a professor.
(b) He is a priest.
(c) He is a writer.
(d) He is a news reporter.
13. How does Mailer signal that he wants to be arrested at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) He punches an MP.
(b) He lays prostrate on the ground.
(c) He throws a can at a police cruiser.
(d) He crosses a rope line.
14. Who in Chapter 5, is completely enthralled by the band's activities?
15. What reason does the judge give for giving Mailer a stiffer sentence in Chapter 9?
(a) He has been uncooperative throughout.
(b) He is a consistent violator of the law.
(c) He is older and more influential.
(d) He was late to court.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mailer certain the MP in Chapter 6 is not going to hit him?
2. Where is the bus in Chapter 4 taking Mailer and the other marchers?
3. Which of the following militant groups chooses to sit and hold their ground at the March?
4. What is the stated goal of the March, as articulated by the Steering Committee in Chapter 3?
5. At what time in Chapter 8 does Teague begin his lectures again?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)