|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time in Chapter 8 does Teague begin his lectures again?
(a) 8 AM.
(b) 4 PM.
(c) 5 AM.
(d) 12 PM.
2. How does Mailer describe the MP's face at the end of Chapter 1?
3. Why does Mailer determine it is time to get arrested in the end of Chapter 5?
(a) People begin fleeing.
(b) The band stops playing.
(c) Mitch Goodman signals him.
(d) The afternoon is getting late.
4. How does Mailer plead at his lawyer's suggestion?
(a) Not guilty.
(c) No contest.
(d) He refuses to acknowledge the legitimacy of the court.
5. Which character introduced in this section has been arrested 9 times at protests?
(a) Walter Teague.
(b) The "nazi."
(c) John Boyle.
(d) The Hungarian freedom fighter.
6. What type of overtones are part of Mailer's speech in Chapter 10?
7. What is happening to Mailer at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) He is giving a television interview.
(b) He is being arrested.
(c) He is sleeping under a tree.
(d) He is lying on the ground after being maced.
8. In Chapter 5, what is Mailer's assessment of the mistake the Revolutionary Contingent made during the march?
(a) It was poorly armed.
(b) It lacked a clear system of communication.
(c) It acted too soon.
(d) It was too spread out.
9. Which music group is playing at the Pentagon in Chapter 5?
(a) The Band.
(b) The Fugs.
(c) The New York Dolls.
(d) The Magic Tramps.
10. Which of Mailer's writer friends is present in the Volkswagen with him in Chapter 2?
(a) None of them.
(b) Robert Lowell.
(c) Paul Goodman.
(d) Dwight Macdonald.
11. Which New York-based journalist is quoted at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Truman Capote.
(b) Jimmy Breslin.
(c) Frank Rich.
(d) Pauline Kael.
12. Which two gods does Mailer insist the war supports in Chapter 7?
(a) Money and power.
(b) Technology and commercialism.
(c) Bloodshed and madness.
(d) Marx and Smith.
13. What does Mailer tell Fontain about his arrest in Chapter 1?
(a) It was done correctly.
(b) It will not stop the cause.
(c) It is unjust.
(d) It is not the first time he has been in handcuffs.
14. What Communist leader's writings is Walter Teague teaching in Chapter 6?
15. In Chapter 4, to what does Mailer compare the people on the bus?
(a) A high school sports team.
(b) A group of kindergarteners.
(c) A rock band on tour.
(d) A family reunion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good news does John Boyle give Mailer in Chapter 3?
2. Which of the following is not something Mailer describes as the march begins in Chapter 4?
3. About what do the arrested marchers speculate at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. Why did march planning committee visit the Pentagon numerous times before the march?
5. In Chapter 1 of Book II, to whom does the "writer" pass the baton?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)