|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose flattery in Chapter 4 is Mailer suspicious of?
(b) The host's.
(c) de Grazia's.
2. What is provided for the young men in Chapter 3's breakfast?
(b) Toasted English muffins.
(c) Peanut butter and bread.
(d) Bananas and cantaloupe.
3. Which Ivy League university did both Mailer and the Chapter 2 caller graduate from?
4. What favor has Mailer recently done for Goodman?
(a) He praised him on the Dick Cavett Show.
(b) He recommended him for a Times op-ed.
(c) He wrote a blurb for his book.
(d) He became Goodman's son's godfather.
5. Why does Mailer's conversation with Macdonald become awkward in Chapter 4?
(a) Macdonald is reviewing Mailer's book.
(b) Macdonald got the post at the New Yorker Mailer wants.
(c) Mailer is sleeping with Macdonald's wife.
(d) Mailer has recently discovered he's on the Pulitzer short list.
6. According to Mailer in Chapter 3, how did Robert Lowell avoid fighting in World War II?
(a) He worked in a munitions factory.
(b) He was a conscientious objector.
(c) He became a foreign correspondent for the AP.
(d) He has flat feet.
7. Why do Mailer, Macdonald and Lowell want to be arrested first on Saturday?
(a) Only the first ones arrested will be photographed.
(b) They want to escape Mitch Goodman.
(c) They want to get out of the hot sun quickly.
(d) They want to catch an evening flight back to New York.
8. What is significant about the way Lowell recites his poetry in Chapter 6?
(a) He speaks incredibly quietly.
(b) He does not use notes.
(c) He pauses for minutes at a time.
(d) He affects a British accent.
9. In Chapter 6, what does Mailer do after leaving the theatre?
(a) He falls asleep in a doorway.
(b) He goes to another bar.
(c) He goes to the hotel.
(d) He sleeps backstage.
10. What does Mailer carry with him when he leaves the part in Chapter 4?
(a) A handful of crackers and cheese.
(b) A vase.
(c) A coffee cup of whiskey.
(d) A Havana cigar.
11. In Chapter 5, who attempts to silence de Grazia and Mailer as they squabble onstage?
(c) The Time Magazine reporter.
12. Where do Lowell, Mailer, and Macdonald go after the card return in Chapter 4?
(a) The hotel.
(b) A bar.
(c) A hot-dog stand.
(d) The Pentagon.
13. Which famous black leader's sister speaks in Chapter 3?
(a) Malcolm X.
(b) Medger Evers.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Bobby Seale.
14. Where are the protest speakers going when they leave the part at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) The hotel.
(b) The theater.
(c) A bar.
(d) The Department of Justice.
15. In Chapter 1, what does Mailer claim the young generation hates more than anything else?
(c) The free market.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the performance space in this section used to be used for?
2. In Chapter 4, what events does Mailer contend are always the same?
3. According to the article in Chapter 1, why is Norman Mailer arrested?
4. What is scheduled to happen in Washington, DC, the day that Mailer arrives?
5. Who is William Sloane Coffin?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)