|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the aspects of war that Mailer mentions being disagreeable in Chapter 2?
(a) Constant fatigue.
(b) Intestinal agitation.
(c) The omnipresence of death.
(d) Trudging through mud.
2. What strain of sociopolitical thinking does Mailer chart through America in a speech in Chapter 1?
(b) Trade protectionism.
(c) Fiscal conservatism.
3. In Chapter 2, what drug does Mailer repeatedly decry?
4. Where does Chapter 2 take place?
(a) A New York bistro.
(b) A publishing house.
(c) Mailer's den.
(d) An office on I Street.
5. Where are the protest speakers going when they leave the part at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) A bar.
(b) The theater.
(c) The Department of Justice.
(d) The hotel.
6. To what does Mailer compare his hangover in Chapter 2?
(b) An atomic bomb.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A garbage heap.
7. In Chapter 5, who attempts to silence de Grazia and Mailer as they squabble onstage?
(d) The Time Magazine reporter.
8. In Chapter 3, Mailer states that left-wing groups should choose names similar to what?
(a) Religious sects.
(b) Motorcycle gangs.
(c) Fortune 500 companies.
(d) Right-wing groups.
9. How long has the audience been waiting when the speakers arrive at the theatre in Chapter 5?
(a) 5 hours.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 1 hour.
10. Which Ivy League university did both Mailer and the Chapter 2 caller graduate from?
11. Which of the following ideas is not something that Mailer declares the young generation believes in more fervently than its forebears in Chapter 1?
(b) Hegelian dialectics.
12. What is significant about the way Lowell recites his poetry in Chapter 6?
(a) He does not use notes.
(b) He pauses for minutes at a time.
(c) He speaks incredibly quietly.
(d) He affects a British accent.
13. What does Mailer forget to give back to the hostess when he leaves the party in Chapter 4?
(a) Her housekey.
(b) Her husband's necktie.
(c) A cloth napkin.
(d) A copy of his book.
14. How many draft cards are turned in at Justice in Chapter 4?
15. Why do Mailer, Macdonald and Lowell want to be arrested first on Saturday?
(a) They want to catch an evening flight back to New York.
(b) They want to escape Mitch Goodman.
(c) They want to get out of the hot sun quickly.
(d) Only the first ones arrested will be photographed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what word does Mailer want to tell Mitch Goodman to shove?
2. What does Mailer recall as he walks toward the Washington Monument in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Mailer determine is the goal of an invasion of the Pentagon?
4. In Chapter 1, what does Mailer claim the young generation hates more than anything else?
5. Who speaks with Mitch Goodman at the Justice Department in Chapter 4?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)