|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what word does Mailer want to tell Mitch Goodman to shove?
2. In Chapter 6, how does Mailer characterize Macdonald politically?
(a) A libertarian.
(b) A know-nothing.
(c) A Trotskyite.
(d) An anti-communist.
3. According to Mailer in Chapter 3, how did Robert Lowell avoid fighting in World War II?
(a) He has flat feet.
(b) He became a foreign correspondent for the AP.
(c) He worked in a munitions factory.
(d) He was a conscientious objector.
4. What does Mailer forget to give back to the hostess when he leaves the party in Chapter 4?
(a) Her husband's necktie.
(b) A cloth napkin.
(c) Her housekey.
(d) A copy of his book.
5. Where are the protest speakers going when they leave the part at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) The Department of Justice.
(b) The theater.
(c) The hotel.
(d) A bar.
6. How does Mailer dismiss de Grazia from the stage to begin emceeing the night in Chapter 5?
(a) He waltzes him off the stage.
(b) He slaps his behind.
(c) He orders him to fetch some water.
(d) He pushes him over.
7. Which of the following is not one of the aspects of war that Mailer mentions being disagreeable in Chapter 2?
(a) Intestinal agitation.
(b) Trudging through mud.
(c) The omnipresence of death.
(d) Constant fatigue.
8. In Chapter 2, to whom does Mailer state he holds final allegiance?
(c) Fellow artists.
(d) The government.
9. In Chapter 6, what does Mailer do after leaving the theatre?
(a) He goes to the hotel.
(b) He falls asleep in a doorway.
(c) He sleeps backstage.
(d) He goes to another bar.
10. Which of the following is not a style of dress that marchers wear in Chapter 2?
(a) Turkish shepherd robes.
(b) Eisenhower jackets.
(c) Sgt. Pepper uniforms.
(d) African dashikis.
11. Which of the following writers is not speaking at the protest?
(a) Robert Lowell.
(b) Susan Sontag.
(c) Ed de Grazia.
(d) Dwight Macdonald.
12. On what day of the week is the march taking place?
13. Who performs first in the event of Chapter 5?
14. How does the audience respond to Lowell's poem in Chapter 6?
(a) They leave.
(b) They sit impassively.
(c) They offer polite applause.
(d) They give a standing ovation.
15. What did the performance space in this section used to be used for?
(a) A church.
(b) A vaudville house.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) A school auditorium.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chapter 2 take place?
2. At which hotel is Mailer staying?
3. To what does Mailer compare his hangover in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 1, how long does Mailer suggest it will take to accurately understand the value of the March?
5. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer agree to do the protest?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)