|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor has Mailer recently done for Goodman?
(a) He became Goodman's son's godfather.
(b) He praised him on the Dick Cavett Show.
(c) He recommended him for a Times op-ed.
(d) He wrote a blurb for his book.
2. According to Mailer in Chapter 3, how did Robert Lowell avoid fighting in World War II?
(a) He was a conscientious objector.
(b) He became a foreign correspondent for the AP.
(c) He has flat feet.
(d) He worked in a munitions factory.
3. Who speaks with Mitch Goodman at the Justice Department in Chapter 4?
(a) Dr. Ben Spock.
(b) Robert Lowell.
(c) Norman Mailer.
(d) Noam Chomsky.
4. In Chapter 1, what does Mailer determine is the goal of an invasion of the Pentagon?
(a) To achieve publicity for the next day's events.
(b) To obstruct the daily activity of the Pentagon.
(c) To provide Paul Goodman a platform to self-promote.
(d) To wound the American military symbolically.
5. Who is William Sloane Coffin?
(a) A local DC businessman.
(b) Editor of The New Republic.
(c) Chaplain at Yale.
(d) A former Air Force pilot.
6. What does Mailer take from de Grazia in Chapter 4?
(a) The telling of a story from their time in Madrid.
(b) The key to his hotel room.
(c) The emcee role for the evening.
(d) His drink.
7. In Chapter 2, what drug does Mailer repeatedly decry?
8. How does the audience respond to Lowell's poem in Chapter 6?
(a) They offer polite applause.
(b) They give a standing ovation.
(c) They sit impassively.
(d) They leave.
9. Whose "dwarf alter ego" did Mailer claim to be at the Ambassador speech, according to Macdonald in Chapter 3?
(a) Lyndon Johnson's.
(b) Abbie Hoffman's.
(c) Ben Franklin's.
(d) William Burroughs'.
10. Where do Lowell, Mailer, and Macdonald go after the card return in Chapter 4?
(a) A hot-dog stand.
(b) The Pentagon.
(c) A bar.
(d) The hotel.
11. Why does Mailer's conversation with Macdonald become awkward in Chapter 4?
(a) Mailer is sleeping with Macdonald's wife.
(b) Macdonald is reviewing Mailer's book.
(c) Mailer has recently discovered he's on the Pulitzer short list.
(d) Macdonald got the post at the New Yorker Mailer wants.
12. In Chapter 6, what does Mailer do after leaving the theatre?
(a) He goes to another bar.
(b) He sleeps backstage.
(c) He goes to the hotel.
(d) He falls asleep in a doorway.
13. What strain of sociopolitical thinking does Mailer chart through America in a speech in Chapter 1?
(b) Fiscal conservatism.
(d) Trade protectionism.
14. What is provided for the young men in Chapter 3's breakfast?
(b) Toasted English muffins.
(c) Bananas and cantaloupe.
(d) Peanut butter and bread.
15. Whose flattery in Chapter 4 is Mailer suspicious of?
(a) de Grazia's.
(d) The host's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins the informal meeting in Chapter 3?
2. Where does Chapter 2 take place?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Mailer resolve to do?
4. In Chapter 6, how does the audience respond to Mailer's profane tirade?
5. What does Goodman in Chapter 2 indicate may happen at the protest?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)