|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose "dwarf alter ego" did Mailer claim to be at the Ambassador speech, according to Macdonald in Chapter 3?
(a) Ben Franklin's.
(b) William Burroughs'.
(c) Abbie Hoffman's.
(d) Lyndon Johnson's.
2. To what does Mailer compare his hangover in Chapter 2?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) An atomic bomb.
(c) A garbage heap.
3. Where do Lowell, Mailer, and Macdonald go after the card return in Chapter 4?
(a) A bar.
(b) A hot-dog stand.
(c) The Pentagon.
(d) The hotel.
4. In Chapter 1, what does Mailer determine is the goal of an invasion of the Pentagon?
(a) To obstruct the daily activity of the Pentagon.
(b) To wound the American military symbolically.
(c) To achieve publicity for the next day's events.
(d) To provide Paul Goodman a platform to self-promote.
5. What is Mailer's primary complaint about the performance space?
(a) There are no curtains on the stage.
(b) The seats are uncomfortable.
(c) There is no ventilation.
(d) The sound system is bad.
6. In Chapter 2, what word does Mailer want to tell Mitch Goodman to shove?
7. In Chapter 3, what concern does does Goodman have about the route to the Pentagon?
(a) The route involves a numer of sudden turns.
(b) There are rumors of roadblocks on the road.
(c) Law enforcement wants them to take the narrowest road.
(d) Know one knows the route.
8. Who begins the informal meeting in Chapter 3?
(a) Mitch Goodman.
(b) Robert Lowell.
(c) Norman Mailer.
(d) Paul Goodman.
9. What did the performance space in this section used to be used for?
(a) A vaudville house.
(b) A church.
(c) A school auditorium.
(d) A movie theater.
10. What word does Mailer use repeatedly in Chapter 1 to describe the effect of the Pentagon March?
11. In Chapter 2, what drug does Mailer repeatedly decry?
12. In Chapter 5, who attempts to silence de Grazia and Mailer as they squabble onstage?
(a) The Time Magazine reporter.
13. In Chapter 1, Mailer claims that America's New Left is drawing its political aesthetic from what country?
14. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer say he has sworn not to do, because it will support continued fighting Vietnam?
(a) Turn in aluminum as certain stations.
(b) Purchase Coors beer.
(c) Read the Washington Post.
(d) Pay a 10% increase in the income tax.
15. Why do Mailer, Macdonald and Lowell want to be arrested first on Saturday?
(a) They want to escape Mitch Goodman.
(b) They want to catch an evening flight back to New York.
(c) They want to get out of the hot sun quickly.
(d) Only the first ones arrested will be photographed.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mailer in Chapter 3, how did Robert Lowell avoid fighting in World War II?
2. What other protest speaker is on the same plane as with Mailer in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Chapter 2 take place?
4. How does Mailer offend the hostess in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 3, Mailer states that left-wing groups should choose names similar to what?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)