|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which social or literary figure calls Mailer in Chapter 2?
(a) Jean Genet.
(b) Abbie Hoffman.
(c) Mitch Goodman.
(d) Robert Lowell.
2. Which Ivy League university did both Mailer and the Chapter 2 caller graduate from?
3. What response does Coffin get to his turning in of the draft cards in Chapter 4?
(a) He is arrested.
(b) He is swarmed by press.
(c) He gets into a heated argument with the Solicitor General.
(d) He is refused by the Justice officials.
4. According to the article in Chapter 1, why is Norman Mailer arrested?
(a) He crosses a police line.
(b) He punches a presenter at an awards banquet.
(c) He vomits on the Lincoln Memorial.
(d) He is caught carrying a large bag of marijuana.
5. Which character in Chapter 3 is astounded by the fact that the papers were kind to Mailer's performance and not his?
(a) Robert Lowell.
(b) Dwight Macdonald.
(c) Ed de Grazia.
(d) Paul Goodman.
6. Which famous black leader's sister speaks in Chapter 3?
(a) Bobby Seale.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) Malcolm X.
(d) Medger Evers.
7. Whose "dwarf alter ego" did Mailer claim to be at the Ambassador speech, according to Macdonald in Chapter 3?
(a) William Burroughs'.
(b) Ben Franklin's.
(c) Abbie Hoffman's.
(d) Lyndon Johnson's.
8. Who performs first in the event of Chapter 5?
9. How does the audience respond to Lowell's poem in Chapter 6?
(a) They offer polite applause.
(b) They sit impassively.
(c) They give a standing ovation.
(d) They leave.
10. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer say he has sworn not to do, because it will support continued fighting Vietnam?
(a) Turn in aluminum as certain stations.
(b) Pay a 10% increase in the income tax.
(c) Read the Washington Post.
(d) Purchase Coors beer.
11. Who is William Sloane Coffin?
(a) Chaplain at Yale.
(b) A local DC businessman.
(c) Editor of The New Republic.
(d) A former Air Force pilot.
12. Who speaks with Mitch Goodman at the Justice Department in Chapter 4?
(a) Noam Chomsky.
(b) Dr. Ben Spock.
(c) Norman Mailer.
(d) Robert Lowell.
13. In Chapter 1, Mailer claims that America's New Left is drawing its political aesthetic from what country?
14. Which descriptor best describes Mailer's feelings while watching Lowell speak in Chapter 6?
15. In Chapter 4, what events does Mailer contend are always the same?
(a) Liberal parties.
(b) Book discussions.
(c) Rides from airports to hotels.
(d) Vietnam protests.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Mailer compare his hangover in Chapter 2?
2. What other protest speaker is on the same plane as with Mailer in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 3, Mailer states that left-wing groups should choose names similar to what?
4. On what day of the week is the march taking place?
5. Where did Mailer and the Chapter 2 caller spend a period of time after college?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)