|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mailer forget to give back to the hostess when he leaves the party in Chapter 4?
(a) A cloth napkin.
(b) Her housekey.
(c) A copy of his book.
(d) Her husband's necktie.
2. How does the audience respond to Lowell's poem in Chapter 6?
(a) They give a standing ovation.
(b) They leave.
(c) They offer polite applause.
(d) They sit impassively.
3. In Chapter 4, what events does Mailer contend are always the same?
(a) Book discussions.
(b) Liberal parties.
(c) Vietnam protests.
(d) Rides from airports to hotels.
4. In Chapter 1, what is significant about Mailer's state at the time he is arrested?
(a) He is sedated.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is naked.
5. How does Mailer offend the hostess in Chapter 4?
(a) He breaks her toilet.
(b) He call her a loon.
(c) He refuses dinner.
(d) He forgets her name.
6. In Chapter 1, what does Mailer claim the young generation hates more than anything else?
(d) The free market.
7. Who is entertaining the audience when the speakers arrive?
(a) A poet.
(b) An improv group.
(c) A troup of mimes.
(d) A folk music group.
8. What is scheduled to happen in Washington, DC, the day that Mailer arrives?
(a) A dinner at the Watergate.
(b) A small concert on the Mall.
(c) A series of speeches at a theatre.
(d) A march to the Capitol.
9. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer say he has sworn not to do, because it will support continued fighting Vietnam?
(a) Purchase Coors beer.
(b) Read the Washington Post.
(c) Pay a 10% increase in the income tax.
(d) Turn in aluminum as certain stations.
10. What does Mailer carry with him when he leaves the part in Chapter 4?
(a) A Havana cigar.
(b) A vase.
(c) A coffee cup of whiskey.
(d) A handful of crackers and cheese.
11. In Chapter 6, how does Mailer characterize Macdonald politically?
(a) A Trotskyite.
(b) A libertarian.
(c) A know-nothing.
(d) An anti-communist.
12. To what does Mailer compare his hangover in Chapter 2?
(a) An atomic bomb.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A garbage heap.
13. Which social or literary figure calls Mailer in Chapter 2?
(a) Abbie Hoffman.
(b) Jean Genet.
(c) Robert Lowell.
(d) Mitch Goodman.
14. Who begins the informal meeting in Chapter 3?
(a) Mitch Goodman.
(b) Paul Goodman.
(c) Robert Lowell.
(d) Norman Mailer.
15. What does Mailer state in Chapter 5 is the best course of action if you cannot please a liberal hostess?
(a) Get her a gift basket.
(b) Apologize profusely.
(c) Wrong her completely.
(d) Slip out inconspiculously.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many draft cards are turned in at Justice in Chapter 4?
2. Where do Lowell, Mailer, and Macdonald go after the card return in Chapter 4?
3. What is Mailer doing in Chapter 5 when a Time Magazine correspondent approaches him?
4. What crime would Mailer be guilty of in returning young men's draft cards during the march, according to the statement in Chapter 2?
5. Which of the following men is not quoted by Mailer is having advocated sensory adjudication in Chapter 2?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)