|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mailer state in Chapter 5 is the best course of action if you cannot please a liberal hostess?
(a) Get her a gift basket.
(b) Apologize profusely.
(c) Slip out inconspiculously.
(d) Wrong her completely.
2. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer say he has sworn not to do, because it will support continued fighting Vietnam?
(a) Read the Washington Post.
(b) Pay a 10% increase in the income tax.
(c) Turn in aluminum as certain stations.
(d) Purchase Coors beer.
3. Which of Mailer's books is he clinging onto at he enters the theatre in Chapter 5?
(a) The Naked and the Dead.
(b) Why Are We in Vietnam?
(c) The Executioner's Song.
(d) The White Negro.
4. How does Mailer offend the hostess in Chapter 4?
(a) He refuses dinner.
(b) He forgets her name.
(c) He call her a loon.
(d) He breaks her toilet.
5. In Chapter 1, what does Mailer claim the young generation hates more than anything else?
(c) The free market.
6. How many draft cards are turned in at Justice in Chapter 4?
7. What did the performance space in this section used to be used for?
(a) A school auditorium.
(b) A church.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) A vaudville house.
8. In Chapter 1, how long does Mailer suggest it will take to accurately understand the value of the March?
(a) 100 years.
(b) 40-50 years.
(c) 5-10 years.
(d) 10-20 years.
9. In Chapter 1, who does Mailer get into a cloyingly complimentary conversation?
(a) Robert Lowell.
(b) Paul Goodman.
(c) Dwight Macdonald.
(d) William Sloane Coffin.
10. Where are the protest speakers going when they leave the part at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) A bar.
(b) The hotel.
(c) The Department of Justice.
(d) The theater.
11. At which hotel is Mailer staying?
(a) The Willard.
(b) The Marriot.
(c) The Hay-Adams.
(d) The Watergate.
12. Which of the following locations is not one that Mailer mentions rioting over the Vietnam issue in Chapter 2?
(a) Read College.
(b) Boston Common.
(c) Los Angeles, CA.
(d) University of Wisconsin.
13. In Chapter 2, what drug does Mailer repeatedly decry?
14. Which of the following is not one of the aspects of war that Mailer mentions being disagreeable in Chapter 2?
(a) Intestinal agitation.
(b) The omnipresence of death.
(c) Constant fatigue.
(d) Trudging through mud.
15. Which of the following writers is not speaking at the protest?
(a) Susan Sontag.
(b) Robert Lowell.
(c) Dwight Macdonald.
(d) Ed de Grazia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Mailer keep hearing as he marches to the Washington Memorial in Chapter 2?
2. Which descriptor best describes Mailer's feelings while watching Lowell speak in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 6, what does Mailer do after leaving the theatre?
4. What favor has Mailer recently done for Goodman?
5. Where do the organizers of the March go for breakfast in Chapter 3?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)