|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mailer take from de Grazia in Chapter 4?
(a) The emcee role for the evening.
(b) The key to his hotel room.
(c) The telling of a story from their time in Madrid.
(d) His drink.
2. Which descriptor best describes Mailer's feelings while watching Lowell speak in Chapter 6?
3. Which of Mailer's books is he clinging onto at he enters the theatre in Chapter 5?
(a) The White Negro.
(b) The Naked and the Dead.
(c) Why Are We in Vietnam?
(d) The Executioner's Song.
4. What did the performance space in this section used to be used for?
(a) A church.
(b) A school auditorium.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) A vaudville house.
5. What is significant about the way Lowell recites his poetry in Chapter 6?
(a) He does not use notes.
(b) He affects a British accent.
(c) He speaks incredibly quietly.
(d) He pauses for minutes at a time.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, who does Mailer get into a cloyingly complimentary conversation?
2. In Chapter 1, Mailer claims that America's New Left is drawing its political aesthetic from what country?
3. According to the article in Chapter 1, why is Norman Mailer arrested?
4. Which character in Chapter 3 is astounded by the fact that the papers were kind to Mailer's performance and not his?
5. The opening of the novel is taken from an article in which publication?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)