|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mailer dismiss de Grazia from the stage to begin emceeing the night in Chapter 5?
(a) He slaps his behind.
(b) He orders him to fetch some water.
(c) He waltzes him off the stage.
(d) He pushes him over.
2. Why do Mailer, Macdonald and Lowell want to be arrested first on Saturday?
(a) Only the first ones arrested will be photographed.
(b) They want to catch an evening flight back to New York.
(c) They want to escape Mitch Goodman.
(d) They want to get out of the hot sun quickly.
3. Which famous black leader's sister speaks in Chapter 3?
(a) Bobby Seale.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) Medger Evers.
(d) Malcolm X.
4. What does Mailer liken himself to when he begins emceeing in Chapter 5?
(a) A mason laying foundation.
(b) A jazz musician riffing on a theme.
(c) A surgeon tending a breech birth.
(d) A lawyer parsing words.
5. What is Mailer doing in Chapter 5 when a Time Magazine correspondent approaches him?
(a) Vomiting out the window.
(b) Sleeping in the aisle.
(c) Urinating on the floor.
(d) Trying to punch Paul Goodman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in Chapter 3 is astounded by the fact that the papers were kind to Mailer's performance and not his?
2. Which social or literary figure calls Mailer in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Mailer say he has sworn not to do, because it will support continued fighting Vietnam?
4. At which hotel is Mailer staying?
5. Which of the following is not one of the aspects of war that Mailer mentions being disagreeable in Chapter 2?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)