|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What response does Coffin get to his turning in of the draft cards in Chapter 4?
(a) He gets into a heated argument with the Solicitor General.
(b) He is refused by the Justice officials.
(c) He is arrested.
(d) He is swarmed by press.
2. In Chapter 2, what drug does Mailer repeatedly decry?
3. What other protest speaker is on the same plane as with Mailer in Chapter 3?
(a) Robert Lowell.
(b) Dwight Macdonald.
(c) Paul Goodman.
(d) Ed de Grazia.
4. What does Mailer intimate about his drinking the night before Chapter 1?
(a) He did not get very drunk.
(b) He blacked out.
(c) He became belligerent toward his fellow writers.
(d) He abstained from all alcohol.
5. Whose "dwarf alter ego" did Mailer claim to be at the Ambassador speech, according to Macdonald in Chapter 3?
(a) Abbie Hoffman's.
(b) Lyndon Johnson's.
(c) Ben Franklin's.
(d) William Burroughs'.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 1, to what does Mailer compare the atmosphere of the Hay-Adams breakfast crowd?
2. Why does Mailer's conversation with Macdonald become awkward in Chapter 4?
3. What is Mailer's primary complaint about the performance space?
4. The opening of the novel is taken from an article in which publication?
5. How many draft cards are turned in at Justice in Chapter 4?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)