|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the central action of the protest Mailer is invited to in Chapter 2?
(a) The barricading of the Department of Justice.
(b) The returning of war medals.
(c) The turning in of draft cards.
(d) The obstructing of traffic outside the White House.
2. Where does Chapter 2 take place?
(a) An office on I Street.
(b) A publishing house.
(c) Mailer's den.
(d) A New York bistro.
3. According to Mailer in Chapter 3, how did Robert Lowell avoid fighting in World War II?
(a) He was a conscientious objector.
(b) He has flat feet.
(c) He became a foreign correspondent for the AP.
(d) He worked in a munitions factory.
4. Where do Lowell, Mailer, and Macdonald go after the card return in Chapter 4?
(a) A bar.
(b) The hotel.
(c) A hot-dog stand.
(d) The Pentagon.
5. The opening of the novel is taken from an article in which publication?
(a) Time Magazine.
(b) The New Yorker.
(d) The Washington Post.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose flattery in Chapter 4 is Mailer suspicious of?
2. What is scheduled to happen in Washington, DC, the day that Mailer arrives?
3. What crime would Mailer be guilty of in returning young men's draft cards during the march, according to the statement in Chapter 2?
4. Who is entertaining the audience when the speakers arrive?
5. Why does Mailer's conversation with Macdonald become awkward in Chapter 4?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)