|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the protest speakers going when they leave the part at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) The theater.
(b) The hotel.
(c) A bar.
(d) The Department of Justice.
2. What does Mailer liken himself to when he begins emceeing in Chapter 5?
(a) A lawyer parsing words.
(b) A mason laying foundation.
(c) A surgeon tending a breech birth.
(d) A jazz musician riffing on a theme.
3. What other protest speaker is on the same plane as with Mailer in Chapter 3?
(a) Ed de Grazia.
(b) Dwight Macdonald.
(c) Paul Goodman.
(d) Robert Lowell.
4. What is significant about the way Lowell recites his poetry in Chapter 6?
(a) He speaks incredibly quietly.
(b) He affects a British accent.
(c) He pauses for minutes at a time.
(d) He does not use notes.
5. What did the performance space in this section used to be used for?
(a) A school auditorium.
(b) A vaudville house.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) A church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mailer drink during the party of Chapter 4?
2. Who is entertaining the audience when the speakers arrive?
3. With whom does Mailer get into a shouting matching in Chapter 6?
4. What is Mailer doing in Chapter 5 when a Time Magazine correspondent approaches him?
5. What does Mailer carry with him when he leaves the part in Chapter 4?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)