|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose "dwarf alter ego" did Mailer claim to be at the Ambassador speech, according to Macdonald in Chapter 3?
(a) Ben Franklin's.
(b) Abbie Hoffman's.
(c) Lyndon Johnson's.
(d) William Burroughs'.
2. What is significant about the way Lowell recites his poetry in Chapter 6?
(a) He speaks incredibly quietly.
(b) He pauses for minutes at a time.
(c) He affects a British accent.
(d) He does not use notes.
3. Who is William Sloane Coffin?
(a) Chaplain at Yale.
(b) Editor of The New Republic.
(c) A local DC businessman.
(d) A former Air Force pilot.
4. Where do Lowell, Mailer, and Macdonald go after the card return in Chapter 4?
(a) A hot-dog stand.
(b) A bar.
(c) The hotel.
(d) The Pentagon.
5. According to Mailer in Chapter 3, how did Robert Lowell avoid fighting in World War II?
(a) He has flat feet.
(b) He worked in a munitions factory.
(c) He was a conscientious objector.
(d) He became a foreign correspondent for the AP.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor has Mailer recently done for Goodman?
2. Who is entertaining the audience when the speakers arrive?
3. What word does Mailer use repeatedly in Chapter 1 to describe the effect of the Pentagon March?
4. To what does Mailer compare his hangover in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 1, what does Mailer claim the young generation hates more than anything else?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)