|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapters 1-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 1, to what does Mailer compare the atmosphere of the Hay-Adams breakfast crowd?
(a) A press conference.
(b) The running of the bulls,
(c) A class reunion.
(d) A whorehouse.
2. Why do Mailer, Macdonald and Lowell want to be arrested first on Saturday?
(a) Only the first ones arrested will be photographed.
(b) They want to escape Mitch Goodman.
(c) They want to get out of the hot sun quickly.
(d) They want to catch an evening flight back to New York.
3. What is significant about the way Lowell recites his poetry in Chapter 6?
(a) He does not use notes.
(b) He pauses for minutes at a time.
(c) He speaks incredibly quietly.
(d) He affects a British accent.
4. How is Mailer dressed for court in Chapter 9?
(a) A tee shirt and jeans.
(b) He is naked.
(c) A dashiki.
(d) A vest, tie, and cufflinks.
5. What does Mailer state in Chapter 5 is the best course of action if you cannot please a liberal hostess?
(a) Wrong her completely.
(b) Slip out inconspiculously.
(c) Get her a gift basket.
(d) Apologize profusely.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Revolutionary Contingent do during the March, as noted in Chapter 5?
2. How many days in jail is Mailer sentenced to in Chapter 9?
3. The opening of the novel is taken from an article in which publication?
4. What is the central action of the protest Mailer is invited to in Chapter 2?
5. Which descriptor best describes Mailer's feelings while watching Lowell speak in Chapter 6?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)