Part I, Chapters 1-4
• Time Magazine reports that Norman Mailer, drunk, is arrested crossing a police line.
• Mailer reluctantly agrees to speak at a Vietnam protest in Washington.
• Mailer gets drunk at a party before an evening of speeches and poetry.
• Mailer demands that he emcee the evenings event.
Part I, Chapters 5-6
• Mailer urinates drunkenly on the floor of the Ambassador bathroom.
• Mailer argues with de Grazia to emcee the event.
• Lowell gives a stirringly understated poetry reading.
• Mailer annoys the speakers and crowd with a loud and profane tirade.
• Mailer stalks off to sleep in the hotel.
Part II, Chapters 1-4
• Mailer wakes up incredibly hung over.
• Mailer meets Lowell, Macdonald, Paul Goodman, and Mitch Goodman at a church to prepare for the march.
• Everyone marches to the Department of Justice.
• After speeches, William Sloane Coffin tries unsuccessfully to return 994 draft cards to the DOJ.
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)