|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who devises a plan regarding the continuation of the voyage after the battle with the Colchians?
2. How many times does Medea call out to Phrontis?
3. How is Jason related to Aietes?
4. After Jason completed his challenge, what does Aietes spend all night pondering?
5. Who does Hera ask to watch for Medea and Jason's leave from Kirke's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kirke have to do to cleanse Jason and Medea of the murder?
2. After Jason completes Aietes's challenge, what does Aietes do?
3. What does Medea ask of her maids in regard to her plan to help Jason?
4. Why does Jason agree to take Medea away from her father's lands?
5. What does Medea tell Jason will happen if he breaks his promise to her?
6. Why is Erato called Erato?
7. What does Aietes threaten his people with after he finds out that Jason has Medea?
8. Describe the four springs that flow from Aietes's palace.
9. What does Jason promise Medea after she asks him to take her with him?
10. Why does Hera seek out Kypris (Aphrodite) to help Jason's quest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony behind the fact that a blind man, Phineus, would know of the path that the Argonauts must take to obtain the Golden Fleece?
Essay Topic 2
Given the way that Medea is described in the text, what is ironic about what she brings about through the actions of others. Is Medea evil?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters and write an analysis: Hercales, Tiphys, or Argos. What characteristics do they have that makes them heroes? Why is their role in the text important? What does the character offer to Jason and his quest?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)