|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose "ploughland" does Aietes plow with the bronze-hoofed bulls?
2. Who, as told in a reflection, did Jason carry across a flooded stream?
3. Where does Kypris find Eros playing with knucklebones with Ganymede?
4. When Medea plans to go see her sister to "test her", how many times does she pace the hall?
5. At the "first glow of dawn", what does Medea place on her head as she goes to meet Jason for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenge does Aietes pose to Jason in exchange for the Golden Fleece?
2. What did Aeites have Hephaistos make for his palace?
3. What plan does Argos have to insure that Jason succeeds at Aietes's challenge?
4. What does Kirke have to do to cleanse Jason and Medea of the murder?
5. What happens to ensure that the Argonauts know the path they are to take back to Hellas?
6. Why does Jason agree to take Medea away from her father's lands?
7. How does Hera convince Thetis to help the Argonauts?
8. What does Medea ask of her maids in regard to her plan to help Jason?
9. Why do the Argonauts think that Jason should not protect Medea?
10. What does Medea do as she leaves her father's palace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony behind the fact that a blind man, Phineus, would know of the path that the Argonauts must take to obtain the Golden Fleece?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the men take heart in the prophecies and omens that they are shown. Chose one of the omens or prophecies and discuss the importance of it to the men. Why is the omen important? What is the message of the prophecy? What does it say about the men's trust in Fate? Does the prophecy or omen give the men courage?
Essay Topic 3
Given the way that Medea is described in the text, what is ironic about what she brings about through the actions of others. Is Medea evil?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)