|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Medea, during her dream, does not think that Jason is there for the fleece. What does her dream tell her he is there for?
2. Who helped the Argonauts escape from their enemies at sea by sending lightning flashes from the sky?
3. Why does Chalkiope go to Medea's room in the midst of her trying to come up with a plan to gain Medea's help for Jason?
4. What goddess was rising as Medea fled the castle?
5. Why does Aietes beleive that Jason has come from Hellas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Medea normally do during the day?
2. What did Aeites have Hephaistos make for his palace?
3. After Jason completes Aietes's challenge, what does Aietes do?
4. How does Hera convince Thetis to help the Argonauts?
5. Describe the four springs that flow from Aietes's palace.
6. Why is Erato called Erato?
7. Why do the Argonauts think that Jason should not protect Medea?
8. What happens to ensure that the Argonauts know the path they are to take back to Hellas?
9. What does Kirke have to do to cleanse Jason and Medea of the murder?
10. What plan does Argos have to insure that Jason succeeds at Aietes's challenge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon the text, answer the following questions: What is a hero? What qualities does it take to be a hero? How do heroes prove themselves? Who deems someone a hero?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the men fear different aspects of their journey. The men find the courage to speak about their fears. What fears do the men of the Argo have? Why do they have these fears? How do the fears of the men affect the outcome of the immediate challenge that they face?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a major theme in the text. But here, it is not one specific love that emerges as important. The objective of this essay is to examine the different types of love as seen in the text. What are at least three different types of love? What are the characteristics of the love? What is the outcome of the love?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)