|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which goddess does Pelias ignore during the feast?
2. What does Phineus tell the Argonauts to avoid as they proceed to Bithynians?
3. For how many days do the Argonauts stay on Lykos's land?
4. What is the name of the mortal that both Zeus and Apollo fail to "deflower"?
5. Who is the father of Polyphemus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the ship the Argo so special?
2. What must the Argonauts do to ensure that they make it through the Clashing Rocks?
3. What is the history of Orpheus?
4. Why do Idmon and Idas begin to fight prior to setting sail from Hellas?
5. What does Idmon tell the Argonauts prior to them leaving on their voyage?
6. Who do the Argonauts first choose as their leader and what does that man say?
7. Why does Zetes question Phineus about the Argonauts' involvement with the prophecy?
8. Why is the land where Sthenelos's tomb resides called "Lyre"?
9. Why was Phineus being punished by Zeus?
10. What do the Argonauts do to set a trap for the Harpies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Apollonius of Rhodes find it necessary to give readers an in-depth description of the lineage of Greek mythology? Was this section necessary? Did it help you to understand the story?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the men fear different aspects of their journey. The men find the courage to speak about their fears. What fears do the men of the Argo have? Why do they have these fears? How do the fears of the men affect the outcome of the immediate challenge that they face?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do you think Jason's quest for the Golden Fleece was more about Jason's evolving character than the request of a king? What does Jason learn about himself? About others? Why could this be considered the more important quest?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)