|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does the Argonauts send to Apsyrtos, as part of their plan to deceive him?
(a) The holy, purple robe of Hypsipyle.
(b) An arrow from Eros.
(c) A lightning bolt from Zeus.
(d) The shoes of Hermes.
2. What does the narrator compare the light given off of the fleece to?
(a) Zeus's lightning.
(b) Aether's light.
(c) Aphrodite's beauty.
(d) Apollo's light.
3. What does Jason promise Medea when she offers to help him get the fleece?
(a) To marry her.
(b) To take her to Hellas.
(c) All of these.
(d) To take her to his home.
4. What about Ganymede fills Zeus with desire?
(a) His weakness for wine.
(b) His physical strength.
(c) His beauty.
(d) His emotion.
5. Whose priestess was Medea?
6. Whose scepter does Jason take with him to speak to Aietes in regard to the fleece?
7. How many daughters does Aietes have?
8. What gift do the Argonauts give to the Hylleans?
(a) A robe of gold.
(b) A barrel of sought after wine.
(c) A supply of fresh-water fish.
(d) A tripod of Apollo.
9. Who protects Jason and the others as they walk to Aietes' palace?
10. What bird impales itself on the ships' sternpost?
(a) A hawk.
(b) An egret.
(c) A eagle.
(d) A black-kit.
11. Who does the narrator ask to reveal the thoughts of Medea at the opening of Book Four?
(a) A nymph.
(c) A Muse.
12. On the island of Aithalia, what objects do the Argonauts use to wipe their sweat?
(a) Grave markers.
(c) Tea leaves.
(d) Dove feathers.
13. What are Kirke's beasts made of?
(a) Jumbled limbs.
(b) Torsos of men with legs of lions and heads of bears.
(c) Wings of falcons and legs of lions.
(d) The hearts and eyes of murdered men.
14. Who is the son of Thetis?
15. What is Kirke doing when the Argonauts find her?
(a) Purifying her head.
(b) Weaving a robe.
(c) Collecting blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Hephaistos fashioned for Aietes' palace that had a bronze mouth and breathed fire?
2. Who does Argos say lived before the moon and ate acorns from the mountains?
3. What god devises a "plan" to cleanse the Argonauts of the "blood of the murder" that they carry after killing Apsyrtos?
4. What does Medea say she will do to the bulls of the challenge?
5. Who places a grievous fear in Medea's heart regarding her part in helping Jason succeed?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)