|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aietes plan to do to the Argo when Jason fails at his challenge?
(a) Sink it as offering to Posiedon.
(b) Tear it apart and throw the pieces over the mountain.
(c) Send it unmanned out to sea.
(d) Burn it.
2. Whose "ploughland" does Aietes plow with the bronze-hoofed bulls?
3. What animal speaks to Jason and Moposos to tell them of the plan for Jason to meet Medea?
(a) A bull.
(b) A crow.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A dove.
4. What gods does Aietes call to as Jason and the Argonauts flee from Aietes's land?
(a) Zeus and Ares.
(b) Zeus and Helios.
(c) Poseidon and Ares.
(d) Helios and Poseidon.
5. After Jason completed his challenge, what does Aietes spend all night pondering?
(a) How to gain back his peoples' faith.
(b) How to refuse the giving of the fleece.
(c) How to punish Medea.
(d) How to kill all of the Argonauts.
6. Who does Hera bid to come see her from the sea after Jason and Medea leave Kirke's home?
7. On the island of Aithalia, what objects do the Argonauts use to wipe their sweat?
(a) Dove feathers.
(b) Grave markers.
(d) Tea leaves.
8. On the third day at sea, who does Medea say an offering needs to be made to?
9. To whom are the Islands of the Brygoi dedicated to?
10. In the Plain of Kirke, what hangs from the elm and willow branches?
(a) Baskets of offereings to the gods.
(b) Sliver fleece.
(c) Flower and fruit wreaths.
11. Who protects Jason and the others as they walk to Aietes' palace?
12. Why does Jason say that their hopes of returning safely to Hellas are slim?
(a) Because they must entrust women.
(b) Because he is weak from the voyage.
(c) Because the challenges are very difficult.
(d) Because Zeus will not allow him to succeed.
13. Who places a grievous fear in Medea's heart regarding her part in helping Jason succeed?
(b) Her servant.
14. What does Medea fear so much that she decides not to kill herself on the night she agrees to help Jason?
(a) Not being able to tell her family why she posioned herself.
(b) Losing Jason's love.
(c) Losing her family.
15. What does the narrator compare the light given off of the fleece to?
(a) Aether's light.
(b) Aphrodite's beauty.
(c) Zeus's lightning.
(d) Apollo's light.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea cut off and leave for her mother as a memorial of her virginity?
2. What happens to the women of the Plain of Kirke when they die?
3. What type of animal does Kirke use to soak Jason and Medea's hands in blood?
4. Who did Hera give Thetis as a husband?
5. What are Kirke's beasts made of?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)