|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aietes plan to do to the Argo when Jason fails at his challenge?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Sink it as offering to Posiedon.
(c) Send it unmanned out to sea.
(d) Tear it apart and throw the pieces over the mountain.
2. How is Jason related to Aietes?
(a) Jason is a distant cousin of Aietes' father.
(b) Jason's father and Aietes' father are brothers.
(c) Aietes' father is Jason's uncle.
(d) Aietes' mother is Jason's aunt.
3. What does Medea promise to do to the dragon so that Jason may get the fleece?
(a) Drug it so that it forgets it's protecting the fleece.
(b) Drug it so Jason may kill it.
(c) Lure it away with magic.
(d) Put it to sleep.
4. Whose scepter does Jason take with him to speak to Aietes in regard to the fleece?
5. How is Argos related to Medea?
(a) Medea is his neice.
(b) Medea is his god-mother.
(c) Medea is his aunt.
(d) Medea is his sister.
6. What bird impales itself on the ships' sternpost?
(a) A eagle.
(b) An egret.
(c) A hawk.
(d) A black-kit.
7. What gift does the Argonauts send to Apsyrtos, as part of their plan to deceive him?
(a) The shoes of Hermes.
(b) An arrow from Eros.
(c) The holy, purple robe of Hypsipyle.
(d) A lightning bolt from Zeus.
8. Who is the steersman on the voyage back to Hellas?
9. What does Medea fear so much that she decides not to kill herself on the night she agrees to help Jason?
(a) Not being able to tell her family why she posioned herself.
(b) Losing her family.
(c) Losing Jason's love.
10. What is the name of the island where Poseidon settled his daughter after she had been taken by Phlius?
(a) "Phlius's Nightmare."
(b) "Poseidon's Rage."
(c) "Black Kerkyra."
(d) "Siren Island."
11. What had Hephaistos fashioned for Aietes' palace that had a bronze mouth and breathed fire?
12. What are Kirke's beasts made of?
(a) Jumbled limbs.
(b) Torsos of men with legs of lions and heads of bears.
(c) Wings of falcons and legs of lions.
(d) The hearts and eyes of murdered men.
13. What does Jason place over the fleece to keep it safe?
(a) An oxen's hide.
(b) A blanket woven by Hera.
(c) A scarf of golden color.
(d) A robe.
14. What herb does Medea use on the dragon?
15. Who does Hera bid to come see her from the sea after Jason and Medea leave Kirke's home?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the island of Aithalia, what objects do the Argonauts use to wipe their sweat?
2. If Chalkiope's sons perish, what does she swear to do to Medea if Medea fails to keep them safe?
3. Whose priestess was Medea?
4. To whom are the Islands of the Brygoi dedicated to?
5. Who does Kypris say should be cursed if they cannot help the goddesses achieve success for the Argonauts?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)