|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Hephaistos fashioned for Aietes' palace that had a bronze mouth and breathed fire?
2. What happens to the women of the Plain of Kirke when they die?
(a) They buried in the earth.
(b) They are put on boats and put out to sea.
(c) They are cremated.
(d) They are placed in a sacrifical tomb to Zeus.
3. Whose palace does Athena go to to ask for help for Jason's quest?
4. Whose priestess was Medea?
5. Why does Chalkiope go to Medea's room in the midst of her trying to come up with a plan to gain Medea's help for Jason?
(a) Medea has asked for her.
(b) She hears Medea screaming.
(c) Medea is crying.
(d) She hears Aietes planning on sending Medea away.
6. How is Jason related to Aietes?
(a) Aietes' mother is Jason's aunt.
(b) Aietes' father is Jason's uncle.
(c) Jason's father and Aietes' father are brothers.
(d) Jason is a distant cousin of Aietes' father.
7. What kind of tears does Medea weep during the night after she agrees to help Jason?
(a) Tears of fear.
(b) Tears of joy.
(c) Tears of pity.
(d) Tears of dishonor.
8. Medea, during her dream, does not think that Jason is there for the fleece. What does her dream tell her he is there for?
(a) To marry her.
(b) To steal the bulls.
(c) To overthrow her father.
(d) To kill her father.
9. Why does Jason say that their hopes of returning safely to Hellas are slim?
(a) Because he is weak from the voyage.
(b) Because they must entrust women.
(c) Because the challenges are very difficult.
(d) Because Zeus will not allow him to succeed.
10. What are Kirke's beasts made of?
(a) Torsos of men with legs of lions and heads of bears.
(b) Wings of falcons and legs of lions.
(c) Jumbled limbs.
(d) The hearts and eyes of murdered men.
11. What area does Medea step out onto from the Argo as she comes to the place where the fleece is?
(a) "The Bull's Bed."
(b) "The Ram's Bed."
(c) "Zeus' Bed."
(d) "Aiolos' Bed."
12. What does Medea cut off and leave for her mother as a memorial of her virginity?
(a) Her chastity ring.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) Her chastity belt.
(d) Her garder.
13. Who helped the Argonauts escape from their enemies at sea by sending lightning flashes from the sky?
14. What does Jason place over the fleece to keep it safe?
(a) A robe.
(b) A blanket woven by Hera.
(c) An oxen's hide.
(d) A scarf of golden color.
15. Who does Hera tell to blow a Zephyr wind to help the Argonauts to reach Alkinoos?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea say she will do to the bulls of the challenge?
2. What is Kirke doing when the Argonauts find her?
3. What goddess was rising as Medea fled the castle?
4. Whose scepter does Jason take with him to speak to Aietes in regard to the fleece?
5. Whose voice is heard by the Argonauts as they enter the Rhodanos?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)