Book One: Preparation and Departure
• King Pelias, of the city of Iolcus in Hellas, sends Jason and the Argonauts up the straits into the Black Sea in search of the Golden Fleece.
• An oracle warned him that a man appearing before him with one shoe would herald his death.
• Jason, who lost a shoe in the muddy bank of a river, appears before the King confirming his fears about the prophecy.
• Hoping that he will never see Jason again, he sends him off to sea.
• Jason gathers his crew.
• The Argo is primed, equipped, and ready to sail as the crew makes its way to the ship which is banked on the shore called Magnesian Pagasae.
• The townspeople do not support the King's decision to send these noblemen on this treacherous journey and pray for the crew's safe return.
• As Jason readies himself to leave home, he is...
This section contains 5,259 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)