|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are ushabtis?
(a) Magic spells.
(b) Wax statues of men.
(c) Ancient books.
(d) Traditional gypsy rolls.
2. What does Doyle have that makes him appear consumptive?
(b) Bloody handkerchiefs.
(c) Festering sores.
(d) Stale bread.
3. What does Doyle try to sell at the fish market in Billingsgate?
(b) His clothes.
(c) Pea soup.
4. What is Jacky disguised as when she is captured in the Rat Castle?
(a) Dog Face Joe.
(c) Dumb Tom.
(d) Ahmed the Hindoo.
5. After Doyle shaves his extra hair off, he looks in the mirror and sees __________.
(b) Colin Lepovre.
6. Doyle finds a journal in Darrow's possession with a record of the capture of a legendary London murderer. What was the murderer popularly believed to be?
(a) A time traveler.
(b) A werewolf.
(d) A sorcerer.
7. Who is the first character introduced in the book?
8. Who does Doyle discover whistling the song he recognizes?
(b) Dog Face Joe.
(c) The Luck of the Surrey-side beggars.
9. What is Romany's honorary chair?
(d) High chair.
10. What does Damnable Richard think Doyle is?
(a) A magician.
(b) A gentleman.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A costermonger.
11. What is Jacky's real first name?
12. __________ followed Romany through the woods, where he saw the carriages disappear.
(d) Damnable Richard.
13. What is the name of the poet Doyle is researching for a new biography?
14. What is it rumored in 1983, that Darrow has?
(a) A werewolf.
(c) A passage through time.
15. What does Doyle find behind the locked door the beggar opens for him?
(a) Time gap.
(b) Dog Face Joe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the dwarf?
2. How did Doyle's wife die?
3. What is Horrabin's father's name?
4. Who says, "Time is comparable to a river flowing under a layer of ice. It stretches us out like water weeds, from root to tip, from birth to death, curled around whatever rocks or snags happen to lie in our path; and no one can get out of the river because of the ice roof, and no one can turn back against the current for an instant?"
5. What does Doyle carve for dinner at the Pye Street Beggar House?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)