|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Nobody is ever turned away from ____________."
(a) Pye Street Beggar House.
(b) Dr. Romany's Traveling Egyptian Fair.
(d) Horrabin's Hall.
2. What is Dumb Tom gnawing on in the streets when he begs in front of the theater?
(a) Stale bread.
(c) Red scarf.
(d) Gold sovereign.
3. Doyle works for ________ at the inn.
(c) Colin Lepovre.
4. What is the purpose of whistling the song?
(b) Recognition signal.
(d) Relaxation technique.
5. What are on the eggshells in the water?
(a) Little Mariners.
(c) Fishing nets.
6. Romany and Horrabin hold a conference while dangling from harnesses in what building?
(a) Big Ben.
(b) Rat's Castle.
(d) The Master's dome.
7. What does Doyle have that makes him appear consumptive?
(b) Stale bread.
(c) Festering sores.
(d) Bloody handkerchiefs.
8. Doyle debates going inside the same pub he sees the whistler enter. Who encourages him to go inside?
(a) Lord Byron.
9. What does Doyle buy to disinfect his ear?
10. Who is the first to shoot at Doyle in the water?
(d) Dog Face Joe.
11. What is the beggar known as Bugs trying to sell?
(a) Nothing, he's begging.
12. Who says, "Time is comparable to a river flowing under a layer of ice. It stretches us out like water weeds, from root to tip, from birth to death, curled around whatever rocks or snags happen to lie in our path; and no one can get out of the river because of the ice roof, and no one can turn back against the current for an instant?"
13. Who is the chubby man with long gray hair standing with the tavern manager?
14. Who is the dwarf?
(b) Skate Benjamin.
15. Who do Doyle and Benner plan to use to negotiate with Darrow?
(a) The Master.
(b) Dog Face Joe.
(c) Lord Byron.
(d) The Luck of the Surrey-side beggars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Benner want Doyle to do when they meet for the second time in 1810?
2. Who would Doyle rather have lunch with than Dog Face Joe?
3. What is Benner doing that prevents him from bringing the carriages?
4. Who is Doyle waiting for in the Jamaica Coffee House?
5. What is Elizabeth Tichy's missing fiancé's name?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)