|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first character introduced in the book?
2. What disguise does Jacky use to escape the Rat Castle?
(a) Ahmed the Hindoo.
(d) Colin Lepovre.
3. What is Benner holding in the carriage?
(a) A sextant.
(b) A pistol.
(c) The Book of Thoth.
(d) A sword.
4. Who grabs Doyle's leg before Bugs can lead Doyle away?
(c) Skate Benjamin.
5. What was ether used for?
(a) To make Doyle unconscious.
(b) A spell to track the time travelers.
(c) To open the time gate.
(d) To clean the banquet table.
6. What is the first time-specific thing Doyle sees after the time jump?
(a) Dog Face Joe.
(c) A gypsy camp.
(d) Two people in a carriage.
7. What did Horrabin and his men do to Dumb Tom outside the theater where he was begging?
(a) Rob him.
(b) Rescue him.
(c) Stab him.
(d) Expose him as a fraud.
8. What is Darrow holding hostage from his men?
(b) Dog Face Joe.
9. Where do the time tourists claim to be from?
10. While Doyle's health is declining at the inn, he determines to confront ________ alone.
(d) Dog Face Joe.
11. What is Dumb Tom gnawing on in the streets when he begs in front of the theater?
(b) Stale bread.
(c) Gold sovereign.
(d) Red scarf.
12. What does Doyle try to sell at the fish market in Billingsgate?
(b) His clothes.
(c) Pea soup.
13. Who captured Doyle at the inn, shortly to let him go?
(a) Copenhagen Jack.
(b) Damnable Richard.
14. Who does Copenhagen Jack tell Doyle to be?
(a) Dog Face Joe.
(d) Dumb Tom.
15. The setting of the prologue takes place six miles from which European city?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Romany using in the woods?
2. Who does Doyle meet after he loses his products as a costermonger?
3. Who do Fikee and Romany work for?
4. Doyle debates going inside the same pub he sees the whistler enter. Who encourages him to go inside?
5. What does Romany do to mask Doyle's cry for help?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)