|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During trophallaxis communication, what is exchanged between individuals?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways biomass is measured?
3. Which of the following species of ants is known to cover their queen during immigration from one nest to another?
(a) African weaver ants.
(b) Driver ants.
(c) Leaf cutter ants.
(d) Haploid number ants.
4. What month of the year is considered the "nuptial flight" month for ant species?
5. Which of the following groups of ants is most likely to eat a dead nest mate?
(a) Minor workers.
(b) Queen ants.
(c) Male ants.
(d) Major workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following ant hormones is found in many vegetable oils?
2. What are gamergates?
3. What is the focus of the Ergonomic Stage of an ant colony?
4. During what era did Crozier argue that scientists should not "discard kin selection in favor of parental manipulation" altering the way most scientists deal with kin selection?
5. How do the heads of major workers compare to the heads of minor workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization did scientists make about the Myrmica ants ability to differentiate larvae from eggs?
2. What is the most common form of communication between ants, and how is it expressed?
3. How is ant communication categorized?
4. How do ant colonies succeed in securing true slavery?
5. What are "sibling species?"
6. What factors affect the success of foraging within an ant colony?
7. How do Idaho harvester ants exhibit altruistic behavior?
8. What happens during the ergonomic stage of an ant colony?
9. What happens during the founding stage of an ant colony?
10. What is acoustic communication? How is it achieved within an ant community?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)