|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do Idaho harvester ants typically live after they begin foraging?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two years.
2. What is modulatory communication?
(a) Communication in regards to alien attack.
(b) Communication meant to alter another's behavior.
(c) Communication for the purpose of reproduction.
(d) Communication to the queen.
3. Where do sweat bees primarily burrow?
(a) In garbage dumps.
(b) In trees.
(c) Near water.
4. Which of the following is NOT a concern for major workers?
(b) Food storage.
5. What do young, nonreproductive ants do with their eggs?
(a) Nonreproductive ants do not produce eggs.
(b) They feed them to the queen.
(c) They abandon them.
(d) They bury them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the focus of the Ergonomic Stage of an ant colony?
2. What is the first stage in ant colony development?
3. Which of the following groups within an ant colony produces the strongest identification odor?
4. Which of the following groups of ants is most likely to eat a dead nest mate?
5. How old is the oldest ant fossil found to date?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wilson argue the Paleozoic Era changed insects?
2. How did the study of swallows affect the way scientists viewed spatial distribution?
3. What is the most common form of communication between ants, and how is it expressed?
4. What study was performed on fire ants leading to the understanding the foragers will respond to the nutritional needs of their colony?
5. What are the most common ways through with an ant colony becomes polygynus?
6. What happens during the reproductive stage of an ant colony?
7. What factors affect the success of foraging within an ant colony?
8. Why is communication between ants important during transportation?
9. What controversy surrounds the ant fossil discovered in the Victoria, Australia by Jell and Duncan in 1986?
10. What is the Hymenoptera order, and how do ants fit in this order?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)