|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a concern for major workers?
(a) Food storage.
2. For which of the following activities is communication most important within an ant colony?
3. How many life cycle stages do all ant colonies go through?
4. Which of the following elements was brought by ants to the Amazon rainforest?
(a) Coal dust.
(b) Gold filaments.
(c) Formic acid.
5. How do the heads of major workers compare to the heads of minor workers?
(a) Major heads are typically larger.
(b) Minor workers do not have heads.
(c) Major heads are typically smaller.
(d) Major and minor heads are identical.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which species of ants was a study relating to worker ants, and their response to nutritional needs, performed?
2. What happens to the offspring of a queen when she is forced into a polygyny society?
3. What is the first stage in ant colony development?
4. Who coined the term "social insects"?
5. In the woodlands of New England, ants move as much soil as what other insect?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do ant colonies succeed in securing true slavery?
2. Why is communication between ants important during transportation?
3. What claim of colony odor did scientists Jaffe and Sanchez make in 1984?
4. How do ant colonies treat foreign ants that wander in the nest?
5. What is the Hymenoptera order, and how do ants fit in this order?
6. How are ant colonies defined?
7. What are barrack nests?
8. Why are extra queens often considered an unnecessary burden within a colony?
9. What controversy surrounds the ant fossil discovered in the Victoria, Australia by Jell and Duncan in 1986?
10. What defense mechanism is unique to the Asian ant species known as Camponotus Saundersi?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)