|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following tasks is NOT a concern for minor workers?
(a) Brood care.
(c) Nest maintenance.
2. Which of the following physical attributes signifies a queen within a swarm of ants?
3. What gender of ants typically makes up an ant colony?
(a) Colonies are mostly male.
(b) Colonies are mostly female.
(c) Colonies are mostly sexless.
(d) Colonies are split between male and female ants.
4. How long does it take a foreign ant to produce a new colony odor?
(a) 40 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 10 days.
(d) 20 days.
5. Which of the following is NOT a factor distracting from optimal foraging within an ant colony?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following acts is NOT part of the Founding Stage in an ant colony?
2. How many queens are present in a Monogyny ant colony?
3. Which of the following is NOT a system of kin recognition listed in the novel?
4. What is the scientific name for the first generation of workers?
5. How are alien species treated when they enter the nest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do various ant species, as discussed in this novel, protect their nests from spiders?
2. How do male ants function within the colony caste system?
3. What happens during the reproductive stage of an ant colony?
4. What is the Hymenoptera order, and how do ants fit in this order?
5. What happens during the ergonomic stage of an ant colony?
6. What are barrack nests?
7. What claim of colony odor did scientists Jaffe and Sanchez make in 1984?
8. What are "Tramp Species" of ants?
9. How has the rearing of isolated ant larvae affected scientists' understanding of reductionism?
10. How have leafcutter ants altered the landscape in which they live?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)