|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How fast can the desert ant run?
(a) 1 meter per second.
(b) 1 meter per minute.
(c) 10 meters per second.
(d) 10 meters per minute.
2. Which of the following is NOT a genus of ant that participates in polygyny?
3. How do the heads of major workers compare to the heads of minor workers?
(a) Major heads are typically smaller.
(b) Major and minor heads are identical.
(c) Major heads are typically larger.
(d) Minor workers do not have heads.
4. What part of milling-major heads are adapted for their work?
(a) Their eyes.
(b) Their antennae.
(c) Their mouths.
(d) Their ears.
5. Which of the following is NOT a factor distracting from optimal foraging within an ant colony?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of hierarchy does Wilson use to describe an ant colony?
2. How many ants are contained in each hectare of soil in the Amazonian rainforest?
3. Which of the following species of ants performed poorest during a study of group transportation?
4. What differentiates aldates from other ants in a colony?
5. Which of the following is NOT a phase of colony defense?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the caste system within a given ant colony change according to the demographic?
2. What realization did scientists make about the Myrmica ants ability to differentiate larvae from eggs?
3. How are ant colonies defined?
4. What are "sibling species?"
5. Why does Wilson think vertebrate animals are heavily favored in science books?
6. What malleable criteria were used to decide that ant colonies were units rather than large groups of individuals?
7. Why are male ants typically neglected in taxonomic studies?
8. What defense mechanism is unique to the Asian ant species known as Camponotus Saundersi?
9. How did the study of swallows affect the way scientists viewed spatial distribution?
10. What is the most common form of communication between ants, and how is it expressed?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)