|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does "the ultimate parasite" Teleutomyrmex schneideri live?
2. During what decade did scientists begin to focus on competition within community organization?
3. During what season of the year do harvester ants struggle with "triple crunch"?
4. Where was Wilson heading when he was desperately trying to get a hold of Le Pouce to perform a specialized predator field study?
(a) Phnom Penh.
5. Which of the following is NOT a host used by fungus-growing ants in their gardens?
6. How many species of army ants can be found in "The New World"?
7. What is the most effective way for ants to subdue their prey?
(a) Wrestling with legs.
(b) Poisonous stingers.
(c) Pinning with antennae.
(d) Strong mandibles.
8. How long can ants be stored in alcohol?
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
9. How is dulosis defined?
10. Which of the following is NOT a behavioral category for myrmecophiles?
11. What part of their body do army ants link to create a chain, or barrier?
(a) Their abdomens.
(b) Their legs.
(c) Their antennae.
(d) Their heads.
12. How long should vials used for preservation be?
(a) 75 mm.
(b) 85 mm.
(c) 55 mm.
(d) 65 mm.
13. What shape does an ant garden typically take?
14. What are bead glands also known as?
(a) Gold bodies.
(b) Pearl bodies.
(c) Emerald bodies.
(d) Diamond bodies.
15. In what country did scientists Vepsalainen and Pisarski devise a three-tiered classification for hierarchical competition?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following ant species is of most interest to Wilson and Holldobler in their discussion of fungus growing ants?
2. Which of the following countries is the Eciton Burchelli army ant NOT found?
3. Which of the following is NOT part of mutualism within ant-plant symbiosis?
4. According to Wilson, which of the following ants is best to study and preserve?
5. Which of the following is another name for fungus growing ants?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)