|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do weaver ants live, exclusively?
(a) In trees.
(c) In vegetation.
(d) Near water.
2. During what decade did scientists begin to focus on competition within community organization?
3. Which of the following scientists used to preserve ants in vodka?
4. According to Pisarski's classification, what tier of workers will fight with alien workers?
(a) Tier 2.
(b) Tier 1.
(c) Tier 3.
(d) All tiers will fight alien workers.
5. How do major workers in a weaver ant nest treat minor workers?
(a) The major and minor workers are in constant competition.
(b) The major workers fear the minor worker.
(c) The major and minor workers work communally.
(d) The major workers ignore the minor workers.
6. What does the term "army ant" relate to?
(a) Defensive movement.
(d) Food location.
7. What do leafcutter ants primarily feed off?
(d) Plant matter.
8. What part of their body do army ants link to create a chain, or barrier?
(a) Their abdomens.
(b) Their legs.
(c) Their antennae.
(d) Their heads.
9. How many species of army ants can be found in "The New World"?
10. Which of the following scientists told the amusing anecdote about ants that stripped a garden overnight?
(d) von Hagen.
11. Which of the following is NOT a behavioral category for myrmecophiles?
12. Which of the following is NOT part of mutualism within ant-plant symbiosis?
(a) Ant parasites.
13. Which of the following countries is the Eciton Burchelli army ant NOT found?
14. How many foraging periods to harvester ants typically participate in each day?
15. During what season of the year are Solenopsis flies absent from most ecosystems?
Short Answer Questions
1. During his studies in Louisiana, what system did Moser find ant fungus growing ant nests?
2. Which of the following areas was NOT focused on in the chapter regarding plant-ant symbiosis?
3. What is the main component of a weaver ant's nest?
4. How many varieties of ant-plant symbiosis are categorized in this chapter?
5. Which of the following is NOT a host used by fungus-growing ants in their gardens?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)