|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a method of communication used by ant species?
2. What did scientist Santschi find that ants follow, during his experiment in 1911?
(a) The wind.
(b) The sun.
(c) The moon.
(d) The pull of gravity.
3. What does the stridulatory organ in an ant's anatomy do?
(a) Vibrates with sound.
(b) Emits odors.
(c) Processes scent.
(d) Makes sound.
4. What is another way of defining pheromonal communication?
(a) Liquid communication.
(b) Chemical communication.
(c) Group communication.
(d) Attack communication.
5. How many levels of genealogical relationships do sweat bees have with one another?
6. Which of the following activities did Huber mistakenly think was play among ant species?
7. Which of the following worlds does Wilson claim that ants run?
(a) The coastal world.
(b) All of the above.
(c) The terrestrial world.
(d) The aquatic world.
8. Which of the following is NOT a segment in an ant's body?
(a) The gaster.
(b) The petiole.
(c) The kampf.
(d) The alitrunk.
9. When did Creighton create his useful review of "Ants North of Mexico"?
10. Which of the following scientists pointed out that colonies of social insects tend to be more harmonious when the members are all closely related?
11. What gender of ants typically makes up an ant colony?
(a) Colonies are mostly female.
(b) Colonies are split between male and female ants.
(c) Colonies are mostly sexless.
(d) Colonies are mostly male.
12. How many categories of ant communication are there?
13. What happens when a queen ant is found to be infertile?
(a) She is killed.
(b) She becomes a worker ant.
(c) She is ignored.
(d) She is expelled from the colony.
14. How many grades does Evans give for the behavior variation of ants?
15. What is polyethism?
(a) Division of work by strength.
(b) Division of work by age.
(c) Division of work by caste.
(d) Division of work by gender.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what university were radioactive ants found in the 1960s?
2. What is the focus of the Ergonomic Stage of an ant colony?
3. Which of the following is NOT a factor distracting from optimal foraging within an ant colony?
4. During what era did Crozier argue that scientists should not "discard kin selection in favor of parental manipulation" altering the way most scientists deal with kin selection?
5. What species of ant carries large quantities of freshly cut vegetation into underground nests as deep as six meters?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)