|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a system of kin recognition listed in the novel?
(a) Sensual Recognition.
(b) Allelic Recognition.
(c) Recognition by Association.
(d) Spatial Distribution.
2. What is morphogenesis?
(a) The procedure through which embryos become adults.
(b) The procedure through which eggs are fertilized.
(c) The procedure through which cells divide.
(d) The procedure through which folic acid becomes nitrogen.
3. Which of the following is NOT a method of foraging discussed in this novel?
(a) Solitary foraging.
(b) Decay foraging.
(c) Central-place foraging.
(d) Group retrieval.
4. What is the fastest way to increase the size of an ant colony?
(a) Increase the number of male ants.
(b) Increase the number of queens.
(c) Increase the number of female ants.
(d) Increase the number of workers.
5. How old is the oldest ant fossil found to date?
(a) 80 million years old.
(b) 18 million years old.
(c) 800 million years old.
(d) 8 million years old.
6. What happens to the offspring of a queen when she is forced into a polygyny society?
(a) The number of her offspring increases.
(b) The number of her offspring decreases.
(c) The number of her offspring is unaffected.
(d) She will no longer produce offspring.
7. What do young, nonreproductive ants do with their eggs?
(a) They bury them.
(b) They abandon them.
(c) They feed them to the queen.
(d) Nonreproductive ants do not produce eggs.
8. Which of the following acts is NOT part of the Founding Stage in an ant colony?
(a) Rearing young.
(b) Constructing a nest.
(c) Foraging for food.
9. Which of the following terms describes an ant colony's maintenance by self-regulation?
10. During trophallaxis communication, what is exchanged between individuals?
11. On which species of ants was a study relating to worker ants, and their response to nutritional needs, performed?
(a) Army ants.
(b) Fire ants.
(c) Leaf cutter ants.
(d) Weaver ants.
12. Which of the following terms expresses the ideal of group production with the disregard of individual needs?
13. During what era did Crozier argue that scientists should not "discard kin selection in favor of parental manipulation" altering the way most scientists deal with kin selection?
14. How are alien species treated when they enter the nest?
(a) They are ignored.
(b) They are welcomed.
(c) They are killed.
(d) They are forced out.
15. Which of the following groups of insects uses kin recognition similar to ants?
(a) Honey bees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the scientific name for the first generation of workers?
2. Which of the following is NOT a theory associated with sociobiology?
3. Which of the following is NOT a way ant species deal with their dead?
4. What are repletes concerned with?
5. At what university were radioactive ants found in the 1960s?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)