|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What species of ant carries large quantities of freshly cut vegetation into underground nests as deep as six meters?
(b) Solenopsis Invicta.
2. Which of the following is NOT a concern for major workers?
(c) Food storage.
3. Who removes a newly fertilized queen ant's wings?
(a) She removes them herself.
(b) Her wings dissolve after fertilization.
(c) Her partner removes them.
(d) Her young remove them.
4. How long does it take a foreign ant to produce a new colony odor?
(a) 10 days.
(b) 20 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 40 days.
5. During what era did Crozier argue that scientists should not "discard kin selection in favor of parental manipulation" altering the way most scientists deal with kin selection?
6. What gender of ants typically makes up an ant colony?
(a) Colonies are mostly male.
(b) Colonies are split between male and female ants.
(c) Colonies are mostly female.
(d) Colonies are mostly sexless.
7. Which of the following is NOT a category of ant communication?
8. Which of the following is NOT a criterion used to decide that an ant colony is a unit rather than a group of individuals?
(a) It is precise in execution of planned actions.
(b) It undergoes an adaptive cycle of growth.
(c) It differentiates into germ plasma.
(d) It shows idiosyncrasies in behavior, size, and structure.
9. How fast can the desert ant run?
(a) 10 meters per second.
(b) 10 meters per minute.
(c) 1 meter per minute.
(d) 1 meter per second.
10. How many ants are contained in each hectare of soil in the Amazonian rainforest?
(a) 8 million.
(b) 80 million.
(d) 18 million.
11. Which of the following is NOT a genus of ant that participates in polygyny?
12. Which of the following is NOT a reason for nest migration that Wilson describes in this text?
(b) Climate change.
13. Which of the following types of ants maintain many different nests although they only live in one at a time?
(a) Leaf cutter ants.
(b) Weaver ants.
(c) Army ants.
(d) Fire ants
14. How many levels of genealogical relationships do sweat bees have with one another?
15. What part of milling-major heads are adapted for their work?
(a) Their mouths.
(b) Their eyes.
(c) Their antennae.
(d) Their ears.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following physical attributes signifies a queen within a swarm of ants?
2. Which of the following procedures is NOT altered when an individual undergoes sociogenesis?
3. What does the stridulatory organ in an ant's anatomy do?
4. What is the first stage in ant colony development?
5. Which of the following ants are considered most altruistic?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)