|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gender of ants typically makes up an ant colony?
(a) Colonies are mostly sexless.
(b) Colonies are mostly male.
(c) Colonies are split between male and female ants.
(d) Colonies are mostly female.
2. Which of the following groups within an ant colony produces the strongest identification odor?
(a) Sexually mature ants.
(b) Queen ants.
(c) Larvae ants.
(d) Worker ants.
3. Which part of an ant's body is used most during kin recognition?
4. Which of the following activities did Huber mistakenly think was play among ant species?
5. Which of the following is NOT a method of communication used by ant species?
6. How many grades does Evans give for the behavior variation of ants?
7. Of all the landscapes explored in the opening of this novel, which landscape has the highest density of ants per hectare?
(a) The Ivory Coast.
(b) The Amazonian Rainforest.
(c) The Fittkau Forests.
(d) The Zaire Savannahs.
8. Which of the following is NOT a theory associated with sociobiology?
(a) Colony Odor.
(b) Offspring Consent.
(c) Parental Manipulation.
(d) Kin Selection.
9. Which of the following species of ants is NOT considered territorial?
(a) Honeypot ants.
(b) Leaf cutter ants.
(c) Harvesting ants.
(d) Weaver ants.
10. Which of the following was NOT an achievement obtained in the goal toward understanding reductionism?
(a) The perception of heterarchical organization.
(b) The rearing of isolated ant larvae.
(c) The activation of social behavioral response.
(d) The simulation of nest building.
11. Which of the following is NOT a ways Wilson describes foreign ants being treated?
(a) They are killed.
(b) They are pestered with constant nipping and leg pulling.
(c) They are forced to lock mandibles in a dual.
(d) They are accepted, but withheld food.
12. What differentiates aldates from other ants in a colony?
(a) Reproductive organs.
(c) Long antennae.
13. In the woodlands of New England, ants move as much soil as what other insect?
(c) Scarab Beetles.
14. How fast can the desert ant run?
(a) 10 meters per minute.
(b) 1 meter per second.
(c) 1 meter per minute.
(d) 10 meters per second.
15. Through what body part do ants emit pheromones?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do young, nonreproductive ants do with their eggs?
2. What is another way of defining pheromonal communication?
3. What is morphogenesis?
4. What did scientist Santschi find that ants follow, during his experiment in 1911?
5. Which of the following are used by worker ants to stimulate new larvae growth?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)