|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a concern for major workers?
(d) Food storage.
2. Which of the following worlds does Wilson claim that ants run?
(a) The terrestrial world.
(b) All of the above.
(c) The aquatic world.
(d) The coastal world.
3. How fast can the desert ant run?
(a) 10 meters per second.
(b) 10 meters per minute.
(c) 1 meter per second.
(d) 1 meter per minute.
4. Of all the landscapes explored in the opening of this novel, which landscape has the highest density of ants per hectare?
(a) The Zaire Savannahs.
(b) The Amazonian Rainforest.
(c) The Ivory Coast.
(d) The Fittkau Forests.
5. Which of the following is NOT an insect phenomenon documented in the opening of this novel?
(a) The effects of competition on community structure.
(b) The shaping of castes through natural selection.
(c) The hierarchy in control processes.
(d) The social effects of monarchical rule.
6. Which of the following acts is NOT part of the Founding Stage in an ant colony?
(b) Foraging for food.
(c) Constructing a nest.
(d) Rearing young.
7. How many ants are contained in each hectare of soil in the Amazonian rainforest?
(a) 80 million.
(b) 18 million.
(c) 8 million.
8. What happens in during pleometriosis?
(a) Multiple queens battle for power within a colony.
(b) Multiple queens from one colony start multiple nests that do not relate.
(c) Multiple queens start a colony together.
(d) Multiple queens work together to physically eliminate a powerful queen.
9. Which of the following groups of insects uses kin recognition similar to ants?
(b) Honey bees.
10. Which of the following was the first scientist to discuss kin selection in ants?
11. How old is the oldest ant fossil found to date?
(a) 8 million years old.
(b) 80 million years old.
(c) 800 million years old.
(d) 18 million years old.
12. During trophallaxis communication, what is exchanged between individuals?
13. Which of the following is NOT a way ant species deal with their dead?
(a) Burying the dead.
(b) Abandoning the dead.
(c) Discarding the dead.
(d) Cannibaling the dead.
14. What gender of ants typically makes up an ant colony?
(a) Colonies are mostly male.
(b) Colonies are split between male and female ants.
(c) Colonies are mostly sexless.
(d) Colonies are mostly female.
15. Which of the following ants are considered most altruistic?
(c) Male drone workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a method of communication used by ant species?
2. What are thermophilic ants drawn to?
3. Which of the following was NOT an achievement obtained in the goal toward understanding reductionism?
4. From what gland do ants lay odor trails leading to food sources?
5. What happens to the offspring of a queen when she is forced into a polygyny society?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)