|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following types of ants maintain many different nests although they only live in one at a time?
(a) Leaf cutter ants.
(b) Army ants.
(c) Weaver ants.
(d) Fire ants
2. Which of the following is NOT an insect phenomenon documented in the opening of this novel?
(a) The effects of competition on community structure.
(b) The social effects of monarchical rule.
(c) The shaping of castes through natural selection.
(d) The hierarchy in control processes.
3. Where do sweat bees primarily burrow?
(b) In trees.
(c) In garbage dumps.
(d) Near water.
4. Which of the following groups of ants spends the most time self-grooming?
(a) Major workers.
(b) Minor workers.
(c) They all spend equal amounts of time self-grooming.
5. Which of the following was the first scientist to discuss kin selection in ants?
6. Which of the following is NOT a way ant species deal with their dead?
(a) Discarding the dead.
(b) Cannibaling the dead.
(c) Abandoning the dead.
(d) Burying the dead.
7. Which of the following procedures is NOT altered when an individual undergoes sociogenesis?
(b) Sexual fertility.
(d) Physical location.
8. How many times their own body weight do Idaho harvester ants retrieve during their lifetime?
(a) Twice their body weight.
(b) 2000 times their body weight.
(c) 200 times their body weight.
(d) 20 times their body weight.
9. Which of the following is NOT a ways Wilson describes foreign ants being treated?
(a) They are accepted, but withheld food.
(b) They are killed.
(c) They are pestered with constant nipping and leg pulling.
(d) They are forced to lock mandibles in a dual.
10. What happens when a queen ant is found to be infertile?
(a) She is killed.
(b) She is expelled from the colony.
(c) She is ignored.
(d) She becomes a worker ant.
11. Which of the following scientists pointed out that colonies of social insects tend to be more harmonious when the members are all closely related?
12. What is considered the final stage of a mature ant colony?
(a) The Founding Stage.
(b) The Virgin Stage.
(c) The Reproductive Stage.
(d) The Ergonomic Stage.
13. How many levels of genealogical relationships do sweat bees have with one another?
14. Which of the following ants are considered most altruistic?
(d) Male drone workers.
15. On which species of ants was a study relating to worker ants, and their response to nutritional needs, performed?
(a) Fire ants.
(b) Army ants.
(c) Leaf cutter ants.
(d) Weaver ants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of an ant's body is used most during kin recognition?
2. How much of the Amazon rainforest is composed of ants and other insects?
3. What month of the year is considered the "nuptial flight" month for ant species?
4. Which of the following species of ants performed poorest during a study of group transportation?
5. What species of ant carries large quantities of freshly cut vegetation into underground nests as deep as six meters?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)