|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the vote tally when the Pennsylvania Convention voted on the Constitution?
2. What imbalance gave James Madison cause for worry about ratification in the states?
3. What were supporters of the residency requirement for citizenship afraid of?
4. What compromise did Mr. Gerry want to reject regarding the ratification of the Constitution?
5. What did Virginia propose in its ratification process?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was added to the draft of the Constitution?
2. What were the different views on the question of ratification of the Constitution?
3. How did Publius respond to Anti-Federalist concerns about tyranny in the Constitution?
4. What was John DeWitt's argument regarding the will of the people?
5. What were the proposals for the requirements for citizenship?
6. What did "Brutus" argue on the problem of representation in a large country?
7. What was DeWitt's position on ratification?
8. What was dropped from the draft of the Constitution?
9. What was the Constitutional Convention's debate over the slave trade, and how was it resolved?
10. What did the dissenters say after losing the ratification vote in the Pennsylvania convention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the Constitution changed by the ratification process? What was added? What was taken away? How did this affect the balance of powers between the states and the federal government?
Essay Topic 2
The Constitution was the result of a great deal of negotiation. What other opposition was there, besides the opposition between Federalists and Anti-Federalists? What parties found themselves in opposition? How did they resolve their opposition, and were their methods of compromise similar to the Great Compromise.
Essay Topic 3
What values and what practical considerations were written into the Constitution regarding the election of government officials? How did the current electoral system evolve from the first debates through the draft Constitution and then the ratification process? What were the dominant arguments on either side of the debate, and whose values were ultimately written into the Constitution?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)