|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Massachusetts, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island propose during their ratification discussions?
2. Which party did James Wilson belong to?
3. What did "Brutus" say about the danger of trying to govern a large area?
4. What imbalance gave James Madison cause for worry about ratification in the states?
5. What did Gouverneur Morris advocate about executive veto power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was added to the draft of the Constitution?
2. What positions did the delegates take on the election of the executive?
3. What was the Constitutional Convention's debate over the slave trade, and how was it resolved?
4. Describe Patrick Henry's second speech to the Virginia legislature.
5. What did the dissenters say after losing the ratification vote in the Pennsylvania convention?
6. Who objected to the Constitution and why did they object?
7. What was John DeWitt's argument regarding the will of the people?
8. What was Mr. Gerry's objection to the Constitution?
9. What was DeWitt's position on ratification?
10. What did Massachusetts, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island recommend after their ratification conventions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. What are the main differences? What similarities survived the Constitutional Convention, and why did they survive?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the paradox that a government needs to be strong in order to protect the people from the government itself. How was this notion handled by the delegates at the Constitutional Convention? What allowances were made so that the government was neither too strong nor too weak? What allowances were made to protect individual freedom?
Essay Topic 3
How did the delegates at the Constitutional Convention ensure separation of powers? What measures within the ratified Constitution created the checks and balances that would ensure separation of powers?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)