|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did James Wilson argue concerning the Constitution's provision for a standing army?
2. What method of ratification did Oliver Ellsworth advocate?
3. What did Benjamin Franklin say about supporters of the residency requirement for citizenship?
4. What did Mr. Williamson advocate for the term length on the election or appointment of the executive?
5. Which delegate expressed his regrets about not signing the Constitution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was James Madison's position on the election of the executive?
2. What was at issue as delegates debated the qualifications for suffrage?
3. Describe Patrick Henry's second speech to the Virginia legislature.
4. What was DeWitt's position on ratification?
5. What was John DeWitt's argument regarding the will of the people?
6. What was dropped from the draft of the Constitution?
7. Who objected to the Constitution and why did they object?
8. Describe James Wilson's speech.
9. What did the dissenters say after losing the ratification vote in the Pennsylvania convention?
10. What did Massachusetts, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island recommend after their ratification conventions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the opposition to the ratification of the Constitution. What were the objections to the ratification of the Constitution? How unified were the opponents of ratification?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Constitutional Convention protect states' rights? Discuss three issues as evidence of the Constitutional Convention's protection of the states.
Essay Topic 3
How did the Constitutional Convention establish a strong federal government? Discuss three issues as evidence of the Constitutional Convention's centralization of power in the federal government.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)