|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Brutus" say about the danger of trying to govern a large area?
2. What argument did James Madison make concerning the fear of a centralized government?
3. What position was James Wilson asked to take in the Constitutional debate?
4. What did "Federal Farmer" see as a danger in the Constitution?
5. What did Mr. Sherman advocate about executive veto power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Massachusetts, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island recommend after their ratification conventions?
2. What were the different views on the question of ratification of the Constitution?
3. What were the "Federal Farmer's" arguments regarding ratification?
4. What did the dissenters say after losing the ratification vote in the Pennsylvania convention?
5. What was James Madison's position on the election of the executive?
6. Who objected to the Constitution and why did they object?
7. What was Mr. Mason's objection to the Constitution?
8. How did the signing of the Constitution go?
9. How did Publius respond to Anti-Federalist concerns about tyranny in the Constitution?
10. What was DeWitt's position on ratification?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What values and what practical considerations were written into the Constitution regarding the election of government officials? How did the current electoral system evolve from the first debates through the draft Constitution and then the ratification process? What were the dominant arguments on either side of the debate, and whose values were ultimately written into the Constitution?
Essay Topic 2
The Constitution was the result of a great deal of negotiation. What other opposition was there, besides the opposition between Federalists and Anti-Federalists? What parties found themselves in opposition? How did they resolve their opposition, and were their methods of compromise similar to the Great Compromise.
Essay Topic 3
How were populous states and small states treated differently by the Constitutional Convention? What issues divided them, and how did they balance their interests in the national government?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)