|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did James Wilson argue concerning the question of taxation?
2. Which delegate expressed his regrets about not signing the Constitution?
3. What did Mr. Williamson advocate for the term length on the election or appointment of the executive?
4. What did Benjamin Franklin advocate in a speech?
5. What did "Brutus" argue in his letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was DeWitt's position on ratification?
2. What did "Brutus" argue concerning standing armies?
3. How did the signing of the Constitution go?
4. What was at issue as delegates debated the qualifications for suffrage?
5. What was added to the draft of the Constitution?
6. Who objected to the Constitution and why did they object?
7. What was James Madison's position on the election of the executive?
8. Describe Patrick Henry's first speech to the Virginia legislature.
9. What was Mr. Gerry's objection to the Constitution?
10. What was Mr. Mason's objection to the Constitution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the opposition to the ratification of the Constitution. What were the objections to the ratification of the Constitution? How unified were the opponents of ratification?
Essay Topic 2
What values and what practical considerations were written into the Constitution regarding the election of government officials? How did the current electoral system evolve from the first debates through the draft Constitution and then the ratification process? What were the dominant arguments on either side of the debate, and whose values were ultimately written into the Constitution?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. What themes are constant between the two documents? What are the main differences? What themes survived the war and the Articles of Confederation?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)