|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In King Alfred's preface to "St. Gregory's 'Pastoral Care,' who does he "bids greet"?
2. What kingdom does the author of the introduction to "Greetings in Christ" say the "boys" came from?
3. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
4. What is "elf-shot"?
5. What do some believe the "Exeter Book" has been used as in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four things that the shepherd does every day?
2. In what ways was the "Exeter Book" used prior to the book's importance being known?
3. Why does the author to the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." state that Anglo-Saxon riddles "satisfy us both as enigmas and as poems"?
4. Where was the greatest amount of scientific prose found in Anglo-Saxon literature?
5. What is the basic subject matter of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
6. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
7. What happened to the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
8. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
9. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
10. What were some of the things that Boniface did when he worked as a missionary between 722 and 752?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Beowulf" has distinct imagery associated with light and dark. Choose three light images in the text; define the image, and show the contrasting dark image. Please explain the images use in the text. What purpose do the images serve?
Essay Topic 2
For many years Latin was the only written language to exist for Anglo-Saxons. Why was it important for the common man to learn Latin? In what ways did the emergence of the English language benefit the Anglos? Which language did the text deem more important? Support your answer textually.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that riddles where important during the Anglo-Saxon period? What purpose did they serve? Why did they focus on the themes they did?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)