|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
2. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
3. At the time of the meeting between the teacher and the hunter, why had the hunter not hunted "today"?
4. Who was the prior of the monastery at Dol Brittany in 924?
5. What object was given "store" as seen in "Beowulf" and named to a recipient in one king's will?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning, when Latin was still a widely used language, what was English primarily used for?
2. Why does the fisherman state that he would not wish to fish for whales?
3. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
4. How does the merchant justify his worth to the teacher?
5. What does the hunter receive in return for the beasts that he slays for his king?
6. What happened to the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
7. In 754, what was deemed a reminder that "some pagans were determined to resist Christianity at all costs"?
8. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
9. What are the twelve charms?
10. What is the basic subject matter of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Beowulf and Grendel. How do each epitomize good and evil?
Essay Topic 2
The history of the Anglo-Saxons was very important for many reasons. Why did the loss of so many documents hurt the history of the Anglos? What was important about the documents that they were able to protect? What were the Anglos able to learn about their own history based upon these texts?
Essay Topic 3
Christianity quickly became the superior religion for Anglo-Saxons. What did Christianity hold for Anglos? Why was it found to be superior to previous religious thought?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)