|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aelfric say is revealed when Christ performs miracles through saints?
2. Who, living between the years 955-1020, does the author of the introduction to Example and Exhortation state was the "most significant figure in this age of religious and educational reform"?
3. What is the traditional kenning for a wife?
4. What is the name of the book that the author claims to be the earliest and most substantial work of scientific prose?
5. In what year did Alcuin of York leave England at the request of Charlemagne?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
2. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
3. Why does the author to the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." state that Anglo-Saxon riddles "satisfy us both as enigmas and as poems"?
4. How does the merchant justify his worth to the teacher?
5. In what ways was the "Exeter Book" used prior to the book's importance being known?
6. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
7. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
8. What happened to the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
9. What were some of the things that Boniface did when he worked as a missionary between 722 and 752?
10. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the characteristics of typical Anglo-Saxon literature? What did the Anglos look for in their heroes? What did Anglos parts of a man's character were praised by the Anglo-Saxons?
Essay Topic 2
What are three qualities of an elegy? Name the quality, give a textual example, and explain your choice. Why/how does the poem show the specific characteristics of an elegy?
Essay Topic 3
What are the qualities of an epic? In what ways does "Beowulf" exemplify the characteristics of an epic? Be sure to give specific textual examples to support your claim.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)