|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many stress patterns does all Old English poetry contain?
2. What is embedded in the hilt of the sword of Constantine the Great?
3. According to "The History of the English Church and People," how does Bede describe the complexions of the slaves seen by Gregory in the Roman marketplace?
4. At dawn what is the first thing that the ploughman does in the morning?
5. What is the subject and tone of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Beowulf" has distinct imagery associated with light and dark. Choose three light images in the text; define the image, and show the contrasting dark image. Please explain the images use in the text. What purpose do the images serve?
Essay Topic 2
The history of the Anglo-Saxons was very important for many reasons. Why did the loss of so many documents hurt the history of the Anglos? What was important about the documents that they were able to protect? What were the Anglos able to learn about their own history based upon these texts?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the riddles presented in "I Saw a Strange Creature..." Look at the final page from the section and list the author's possible answer to the riddle. Choose a contrasting answer for the riddle. Support your answer in a fully developed essay paying special attention to specific textual evidence that supports your answer.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)