|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sickness does "Bald's Leechbook" address in the opening line?
2. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
3. What position was Candidus set to take up in Gaul?
4. What does Aelfric say is revealed when Christ performs miracles through saints?
5. In what year did Alcuin of York leave England at the request of Charlemagne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the hunter receive in return for the beasts that he slays for his king?
2. Why were some Anglo-Saxon women known by the kenning "peace-weaver"?
3. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
4. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
5. Where was the greatest amount of scientific prose found in Anglo-Saxon literature?
6. Why does the fisherman state that he would not wish to fish for whales?
7. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
8. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
9. Why do the pupils in "A Colloquy" ask to be taught Latin?
10. What are the twelve charms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe to be the most important section of the book? Why? What does its inclusion add to the text? What would its exclusion mean to the history of Anglo-Saxon literature?
Essay Topic 2
What are the characteristics of an epic hero? In what ways does Beowulf exemplify these qualities? Be sure to describe each characteristic/quality with a direct textual example and explanation as to why Beowulf is an epic hero.
Essay Topic 3
What are the qualities of an epic? In what ways does "Beowulf" exemplify the characteristics of an epic? Be sure to give specific textual examples to support your claim.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)