|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first English secular biography?
2. What was the first use of the runic alphabet?
3. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
4. What was the name of the first book that King Alfred translated into the vernacular?
5. In what year was the "Exeter Book" bequeathed to the Cathedral Library?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the merchant justify his worth to the teacher?
2. Why were some Anglo-Saxon women known by the kenning "peace-weaver"?
3. What are the twelve charms?
4. Where was the greatest amount of scientific prose found in Anglo-Saxon literature?
5. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
6. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
7. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
8. Why do the pupils in "A Colloquy" ask to be taught Latin?
9. What does the hunter receive in return for the beasts that he slays for his king?
10. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the Anglos were by trade seafarers. What did a typical seafarer face during their lives? What were the highlights of being a seafarer? What were the pitfalls of being a seafarer?
Essay Topic 2
For many years Latin was the only written language to exist for Anglo-Saxons. Why was it important for the common man to learn Latin? In what ways did the emergence of the English language benefit the Anglos? Which language did the text deem more important? Support your answer textually.
Essay Topic 3
What are the characteristics of an epic hero? In what ways does Beowulf exemplify these qualities? Be sure to describe each characteristic/quality with a direct textual example and explanation as to why Beowulf is an epic hero.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)