|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the "Exeter Book" bequeathed to the Cathedral Library?
2. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
3. In what year was the "terrible winter" in "The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle"?
4. What physical feature did Gregory state made the name of the "Angles" appropriate?
5. What was the name of the first book that King Alfred translated into the vernacular?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning, when Latin was still a widely used language, what was English primarily used for?
2. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
3. What was the reason that many Anglos found it necessary to learn the English language?
4. Why were some Anglo-Saxon women known by the kenning "peace-weaver"?
5. What are the twelve charms?
6. In what ways was the "Exeter Book" used prior to the book's importance being known?
7. Where was the greatest amount of scientific prose found in Anglo-Saxon literature?
8. Why did Pope Gregory I write a letter to Candidus?
9. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
10. How does the merchant justify his worth to the teacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Exile was a main theme throughout Anglo-Saxon literature. What selection from the text best represents the theme of exile? Why? Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
The history of the Anglo-Saxons was very important for many reasons. Why did the loss of so many documents hurt the history of the Anglos? What was important about the documents that they were able to protect? What were the Anglos able to learn about their own history based upon these texts?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that riddles where important during the Anglo-Saxon period? What purpose did they serve? Why did they focus on the themes they did?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)