Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
2. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
3. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
4. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
5. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
Essay Topic 1
Kennings and alliteration were used throughout Beowulf and the Elegies. Why was the use of both poetic devices important to the oral tradition of Anglo-Saxon literature? In what ways did the use of kennings and alliteration help to insure the passage of the tales throughout time?
Essay Topic 2
Religion seemed to have saved the lives of many a seafaring man. Compare the religious thought in both "The Wanderer" and "The Seafarer." How are the authors' thoughts similar? In what ways was religion necessary for survival?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the riddles presented in "I Saw a Strange Creature..." Look at the final page from the section and list the author's possible answer to the riddle. Choose a contrasting answer for the riddle. Support your answer in a fully developed essay paying special attention to specific textual evidence that supports your answer.
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)