|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
2. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
3. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
4. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
5. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
Essay Topic 1
"Beowulf" has distinct imagery associated with light and dark. Choose three light images in the text; define the image, and show the contrasting dark image. Please explain the images use in the text. What purpose do the images serve?
Essay Topic 2
The text gives six examples of elegies from the Anglo-Saxon period. Which elegy do you believe was the most important? Why? Support your answer textually--make sure that your answer includes the characteristics of an elegy and why your choice best exemplifies the traditional Anglo-Saxon period.
Essay Topic 3
What were the characteristics of typical Anglo-Saxon literature? What did the Anglos look for in their heroes? What did Anglos parts of a man's character were praised by the Anglo-Saxons?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)