|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
2. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
3. What did the runic alphabet come to be used for later (after its first use)?
4. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
5. How many poems are included in the canon of the "Exeter Book"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the twelve charms?
2. What are a few of the "problems" that "Bald's Leechbook" addresses?
3. Where was the greatest amount of scientific prose found in Anglo-Saxon literature?
4. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
5. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
6. In 754, what was deemed a reminder that "some pagans were determined to resist Christianity at all costs"?
7. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
8. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
9. What is the basic subject matter of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
10. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kennings and alliteration were used throughout Beowulf and the Elegies. Why was the use of both poetic devices important to the oral tradition of Anglo-Saxon literature? In what ways did the use of kennings and alliteration help to insure the passage of the tales throughout time?
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe to be the most important section of the book? Why? What does its inclusion add to the text? What would its exclusion mean to the history of Anglo-Saxon literature?
Essay Topic 3
"Beowulf" has distinct imagery associated with light and dark. Choose three light images in the text; define the image, and show the contrasting dark image. Please explain the images use in the text. What purpose do the images serve?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)