|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "elf-shot"?
2. Who, living between the years 955-1020, does the author of the introduction to Example and Exhortation state was the "most significant figure in this age of religious and educational reform"?
3. What was the name of the first book that King Alfred translated into the vernacular?
4. How many stress patterns does all Old English poetry contain?
5. What is the name of the woman who "begged men from Cwaespatric"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
2. What are the twelve charms?
3. Describe the three sections of "Bald's Leechbook".
4. What are a few of the "problems" that "Bald's Leechbook" addresses?
5. What does the hunter receive in return for the beasts that he slays for his king?
6. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
7. Why did Pope Gregory I write a letter to Candidus?
8. Why does the fisherman state that he would not wish to fish for whales?
9. How does the merchant justify his worth to the teacher?
10. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The history of the Anglo-Saxons was very important for many reasons. Why did the loss of so many documents hurt the history of the Anglos? What was important about the documents that they were able to protect? What were the Anglos able to learn about their own history based upon these texts?
Essay Topic 2
The text gives six examples of elegies from the Anglo-Saxon period. Which elegy do you believe was the most important? Why? Support your answer textually--make sure that your answer includes the characteristics of an elegy and why your choice best exemplifies the traditional Anglo-Saxon period.
Essay Topic 3
"Beowulf" has distinct imagery associated with light and dark. Choose three light images in the text; define the image, and show the contrasting dark image. Please explain the images use in the text. What purpose do the images serve?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)