|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
2. How many charters and grants survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
3. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
4. What does the moth devour in "Thirty-One Riddles"?
5. What physical feature did Gregory state made the name of the "Angles" appropriate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
2. Why did Pope Gregory I write a letter to Candidus?
3. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
4. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
5. How does the merchant justify his worth to the teacher?
6. Why do the pupils in "A Colloquy" ask to be taught Latin?
7. Where was the greatest amount of scientific prose found in Anglo-Saxon literature?
8. Describe the three sections of "Bald's Leechbook".
9. Why were some Anglo-Saxon women known by the kenning "peace-weaver"?
10. What were some of the things that Boniface did when he worked as a missionary between 722 and 752?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the riddles presented in "I Saw a Strange Creature..." Look at the final page from the section and list the author's possible answer to the riddle. Choose a contrasting answer for the riddle. Support your answer in a fully developed essay paying special attention to specific textual evidence that supports your answer.
Essay Topic 2
"Beowulf" has distinct imagery associated with light and dark. Choose three light images in the text; define the image, and show the contrasting dark image. Please explain the images use in the text. What purpose do the images serve?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the Anglos were by trade seafarers. What did a typical seafarer face during their lives? What were the highlights of being a seafarer? What were the pitfalls of being a seafarer?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)