|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first of the "Three Charms" against?
2. At the time of the meeting between the teacher and the hunter, why had the hunter not hunted "today"?
3. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
4. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
5. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways was the "Exeter Book" used prior to the book's importance being known?
2. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
3. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
4. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
5. Why does the author to the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." state that Anglo-Saxon riddles "satisfy us both as enigmas and as poems"?
6. What are the twelve charms?
7. What was the reason that many Anglos found it necessary to learn the English language?
8. Why does the fisherman state that he would not wish to fish for whales?
9. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
10. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What seems to be an embedded theme throughout all of Anglo-Saxon texts? What theme is addressed in all of the examples provided in "The Anglo-Saxon World"? Support your answer drawing from at least one text from each of the sections.
Essay Topic 2
What are the multiple facets that the "Exeter Book" performed? Why was it important? What did it address? What did it provide to the Anglo-Saxon society?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the formal elements included in Anglo-Saxon writing? State at least three of the formal elements, name an example from the text, and explain why the example exemplifies the element detailed.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)