Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
2. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
3. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
4. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
5. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
Essay Topic 1
The text gives six examples of elegies from the Anglo-Saxon period. Which elegy do you believe was the most important? Why? Support your answer textually--make sure that your answer includes the characteristics of an elegy and why your choice best exemplifies the traditional Anglo-Saxon period.
Essay Topic 2
Christianity quickly became the superior religion for Anglo-Saxons. What did Christianity hold for Anglos? Why was it found to be superior to previous religious thought?
Essay Topic 3
What are the characteristics of an epic hero? In what ways does Beowulf exemplify these qualities? Be sure to describe each characteristic/quality with a direct textual example and explanation as to why Beowulf is an epic hero.
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)