|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
2. In what year did Gregory send Augustine to Kent?
3. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
4. The object in the second stanza of "Thirty-One Riddles" is what by nature?
5. In what century did Old English become a "vehicle capable of expressing scientific thought"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What seems to be an embedded theme throughout all of Anglo-Saxon texts? What theme is addressed in all of the examples provided in "The Anglo-Saxon World"? Support your answer drawing from at least one text from each of the sections.
Essay Topic 2
What are three qualities of an elegy? Name the quality, give a textual example, and explain your choice. Why/how does the poem show the specific characteristics of an elegy?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Beowulf and Grendel. How do each epitomize good and evil?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)