|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where, according to the excerpt from "The History of the English Church and People," had the slaves that Gregory saw hail from?
2. How many stress patterns does all Old English poetry contain?
3. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
4. In what century was "An Estate Memorandum" written?
5. Who, living between the years 955-1020, does the author of the introduction to Example and Exhortation state was the "most significant figure in this age of religious and educational reform"?
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe to be the most important section of the book? Why? What does its inclusion add to the text? What would its exclusion mean to the history of Anglo-Saxon literature?
Essay Topic 2
Kennings and alliteration were used throughout Beowulf and the Elegies. Why was the use of both poetic devices important to the oral tradition of Anglo-Saxon literature? In what ways did the use of kennings and alliteration help to insure the passage of the tales throughout time?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that riddles where important during the Anglo-Saxon period? What purpose did they serve? Why did they focus on the themes they did?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)