|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hero in "The Finnesburh Fragment"?
2. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
3. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
4. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
5. In "The Wanderer," from whom does the wanderer plead for pity and mercy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
3. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
4. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
5. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
6. What are the twelve charms?
7. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
8. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
9. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
10. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
Essay Topic 1
"Beowulf" has distinct imagery associated with light and dark. Choose three light images in the text; define the image, and show the contrasting dark image. Please explain the images use in the text. What purpose do the images serve?
Essay Topic 2
The history of the Anglo-Saxons was very important for many reasons. Why did the loss of so many documents hurt the history of the Anglos? What was important about the documents that they were able to protect? What were the Anglos able to learn about their own history based upon these texts?
Essay Topic 3
What were the characteristics of typical Anglo-Saxon literature? What did the Anglos look for in their heroes? What did Anglos parts of a man's character were praised by the Anglo-Saxons?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)