Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hero in "The Finnesburh Fragment"?
2. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
3. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
4. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
5. In "The Wanderer," from whom does the wanderer plead for pity and mercy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
3. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
4. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
5. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
6. What are the twelve charms?
7. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
8. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
9. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
10. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
Essay Topic 1
Christianity quickly became the superior religion for Anglo-Saxons. What did Christianity hold for Anglos? Why was it found to be superior to previous religious thought?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think that riddles where important during the Anglo-Saxon period? What purpose did they serve? Why did they focus on the themes they did?
Essay Topic 3
For many years Latin was the only written language to exist for Anglo-Saxons. Why was it important for the common man to learn Latin? In what ways did the emergence of the English language benefit the Anglos? Which language did the text deem more important? Support your answer textually.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)