|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wihtred was king over what people?
2. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
3. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
4. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
5. Who was "Letter to the English" meant to act as moral support for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
2. Explain the procedure of lawsuits for Anglo-Saxons.
3. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
4. Why does Unferth challenge Beowulf's fame?
5. What is the Germanic Code?
6. What purpose did the scop have in Anglo-Saxon history?
7. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
8. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
9. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
10. What did one of King Edwin's men state were the differences between their time and the time of "which we have no knowledge"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The history of the Anglo-Saxons was very important for many reasons. Why did the loss of so many documents hurt the history of the Anglos? What was important about the documents that they were able to protect? What were the Anglos able to learn about their own history based upon these texts?
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe to be the most important section of the book? Why? What does its inclusion add to the text? What would its exclusion mean to the history of Anglo-Saxon literature?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the formal elements included in Anglo-Saxon writing? State at least three of the formal elements, name an example from the text, and explain why the example exemplifies the element detailed.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)