|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was "Letter to the English" meant to act as moral support for?
2. When does the author believe that "Waldere" was written?
3. In "The Battle of Maldon," who does Byrhtnoth order to dismount?
4. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
5. What does the Introduction to the Law section say was gagged upon when fed to Ecclesiastics if they were found guilty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
2. Who was defined as the "most unfortunate man" in Anglo-Saxon society?
3. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
4. Why were some laws of the Anglo-Saxon period never put into writing?
5. What two things is "The Battle of Maldon" concerned with in regard to theme?
6. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
7. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
8. What happened in 1104 regarding the opening of Cuthbert's coffin?
9. Explain the procedure of lawsuits for Anglo-Saxons.
10. What does Beowulf say about his upcoming battle with Grendel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the formal elements included in Anglo-Saxon writing? State at least three of the formal elements, name an example from the text, and explain why the example exemplifies the element detailed.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the riddles presented in "I Saw a Strange Creature..." Look at the final page from the section and list the author's possible answer to the riddle. Choose a contrasting answer for the riddle. Support your answer in a fully developed essay paying special attention to specific textual evidence that supports your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are three qualities of an elegy? Name the quality, give a textual example, and explain your choice. Why/how does the poem show the specific characteristics of an elegy?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)