|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that Beowulf challenges to a swimming race?
2. According to the author of the introduction to The Elegies, what do many Anglo-Saxon poems fail to have a "sufficient frame" of?
3. What adjective does the poet of "The Seafarer" use to describe the song that he sings of himself?
4. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
5. During what century were the Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Germanic Code?
2. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
3. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
4. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
5. What does Beowulf say about his upcoming battle with Grendel?
6. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
7. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
8. According to the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems," what purpose do/did the heroic poems serve historically?
9. What were some of the earliest codes found to survive from the kingdom of Kent (690-725)?
10. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe to be the most important section of the book? Why? What does its inclusion add to the text? What would its exclusion mean to the history of Anglo-Saxon literature?
Essay Topic 2
What are the characteristics of an epic hero? In what ways does Beowulf exemplify these qualities? Be sure to describe each characteristic/quality with a direct textual example and explanation as to why Beowulf is an epic hero.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the Anglos were by trade seafarers. What did a typical seafarer face during their lives? What were the highlights of being a seafarer? What were the pitfalls of being a seafarer?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)