|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "wergild" mean?
2. According to the introduction to the Heroic Poems section, what do heroic poems link our Anglo-Saxon ancestors to?
3. According to the author of the introduction to The Elegies, what do many Anglo-Saxon poems fail to have a "sufficient frame" of?
4. At what age (the boys' age) did Irish monks begin to train Anglo-Saxon boys as novices?
5. What is a compressed narrative poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. What is the basis of all elegies?
3. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
4. What two things is "The Battle of Maldon" concerned with in regard to theme?
5. What did one of King Edwin's men state were the differences between their time and the time of "which we have no knowledge"?
6. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
7. What purpose did the scop have in Anglo-Saxon history?
8. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
9. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
10. According to the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems," what purpose do/did the heroic poems serve historically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Beowulf and Grendel. How do each epitomize good and evil?
Essay Topic 2
What are three qualities of an elegy? Name the quality, give a textual example, and explain your choice. Why/how does the poem show the specific characteristics of an elegy?
Essay Topic 3
Religion seemed to have saved the lives of many a seafaring man. Compare the religious thought in both "The Wanderer" and "The Seafarer." How are the authors' thoughts similar? In what ways was religion necessary for survival?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)