|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author say that Alfred failed to put some laws into writing?
2. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
3. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
4. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
5. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. What is the Germanic Code?
3. What were some of the earliest codes found to survive from the kingdom of Kent (690-725)?
4. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
5. Who was defined as the "most unfortunate man" in Anglo-Saxon society?
6. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
7. To whom is Grendel related and why is this important?
8. What were some of the common problems that lawmakers had to address during the Anglo-Saxon period?
9. Explain the procedure of lawsuits for Anglo-Saxons.
10. What were the two key relationships at the heart of Anglo-Saxon society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christianity quickly became the superior religion for Anglo-Saxons. What did Christianity hold for Anglos? Why was it found to be superior to previous religious thought?
Essay Topic 2
Kennings and alliteration were used throughout Beowulf and the Elegies. Why was the use of both poetic devices important to the oral tradition of Anglo-Saxon literature? In what ways did the use of kennings and alliteration help to insure the passage of the tales throughout time?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the formal elements included in Anglo-Saxon writing? State at least three of the formal elements, name an example from the text, and explain why the example exemplifies the element detailed.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)