|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beowulf use to fight Grendel?
2. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
3. In "The Battle of Maldon," who "over-confidently allowed the Danes to cross the causeway"?
4. According to the author of the introduction to The Elegies, what do many Anglo-Saxon poems fail to have a "sufficient frame" of?
5. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. Explain the procedure of lawsuits for Anglo-Saxons.
3. What were the two key relationships at the heart of Anglo-Saxon society?
4. What were some of the earliest codes found to survive from the kingdom of Kent (690-725)?
5. Who was defined as the "most unfortunate man" in Anglo-Saxon society?
6. According to the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems," what purpose do/did the heroic poems serve historically?
7. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
8. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
9. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
10. What is the main theme of the poem "The Wanderer"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the characteristics of typical Anglo-Saxon literature? What did the Anglos look for in their heroes? What did Anglos parts of a man's character were praised by the Anglo-Saxons?
Essay Topic 2
Christianity quickly became the superior religion for Anglo-Saxons. What did Christianity hold for Anglos? Why was it found to be superior to previous religious thought?
Essay Topic 3
For many years Latin was the only written language to exist for Anglo-Saxons. Why was it important for the common man to learn Latin? In what ways did the emergence of the English language benefit the Anglos? Which language did the text deem more important? Support your answer textually.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)