|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date of Bede's death?
2. How many lines is "The Battle of Maldon" missing at the beginning?
3. During what century were the Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity?
4. How many shillings will it cost someone if they were to "breach the Church's protection"?
5. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. What is the basis of all elegies?
3. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
4. What is the topic of the six "so-called Elegies"?
5. What were some of the earliest codes found to survive from the kingdom of Kent (690-725)?
6. According to the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems," what purpose do/did the heroic poems serve historically?
7. What purpose did the scop have in Anglo-Saxon history?
8. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
9. What were some of the common problems that lawmakers had to address during the Anglo-Saxon period?
10. To whom is Grendel related and why is this important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the qualities of an epic? In what ways does "Beowulf" exemplify the characteristics of an epic? Be sure to give specific textual examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Christianity quickly became the superior religion for Anglo-Saxons. What did Christianity hold for Anglos? Why was it found to be superior to previous religious thought?
Essay Topic 3
The history of the Anglo-Saxons was very important for many reasons. Why did the loss of so many documents hurt the history of the Anglos? What was important about the documents that they were able to protect? What were the Anglos able to learn about their own history based upon these texts?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)