|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what book are the "six so-called Elegies" found?
2. In "The Battle of Maldon," who "over-confidently allowed the Danes to cross the causeway"?
3. Who does the author in the introduction to the Laws section say, "most of us" need to turn to in order to "establish the exact wording of a law"?
4. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
5. In what year did Pope Gregory invite Augustine to convert the English to Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
2. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
3. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
4. According to the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems," what purpose do/did the heroic poems serve historically?
5. Why were some laws of the Anglo-Saxon period never put into writing?
6. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
7. Who was defined as the "most unfortunate man" in Anglo-Saxon society?
8. What two things is "The Battle of Maldon" concerned with in regard to theme?
9. What does Beowulf say about his upcoming battle with Grendel?
10. What is the topic of the six "so-called Elegies"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kennings and alliteration were used throughout Beowulf and the Elegies. Why was the use of both poetic devices important to the oral tradition of Anglo-Saxon literature? In what ways did the use of kennings and alliteration help to insure the passage of the tales throughout time?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the riddles presented in "I Saw a Strange Creature..." Look at the final page from the section and list the author's possible answer to the riddle. Choose a contrasting answer for the riddle. Support your answer in a fully developed essay paying special attention to specific textual evidence that supports your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Beowulf and Grendel. How do each epitomize good and evil?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)