|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was "Letter to the English" meant to act as moral support for?
2. How many shillings will it cost someone if they were to "breach the Church's protection"?
3. Other than paying six shillings to his lord for riding "on his own business on that day," what can a servant choose as his punishment?
4. In a trial by ordeal, which rule speaks to the fine one would pay if found invalid and having broken the rules of the trial by ordeal?
5. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
3. What were the two key relationships at the heart of Anglo-Saxon society?
4. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
5. To whom is Grendel related and why is this important?
6. What were some of the earliest codes found to survive from the kingdom of Kent (690-725)?
7. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
8. Explain the procedure of lawsuits for Anglo-Saxons.
9. What two things is "The Battle of Maldon" concerned with in regard to theme?
10. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What seems to be an embedded theme throughout all of Anglo-Saxon texts? What theme is addressed in all of the examples provided in "The Anglo-Saxon World"? Support your answer drawing from at least one text from each of the sections.
Essay Topic 2
Exile was a main theme throughout Anglo-Saxon literature. What selection from the text best represents the theme of exile? Why? Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
What are the qualities of an epic? In what ways does "Beowulf" exemplify the characteristics of an epic? Be sure to give specific textual examples to support your claim.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)