|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the woman who "begged men from Cwaespatric"?
2. In what year did Pope Gregory pen a letter to Candidus?
3. Whose power does the opening line of "For a Swarm of Bees" recognize?
4. Who, living between the years 955-1020, does the author of the introduction to Example and Exhortation state was the "most significant figure in this age of religious and educational reform"?
5. How many charters and grants survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
(b) More than 1,600.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
2. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
3. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
4. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
5. What was the first use of the runic alphabet?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)