|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
(a) St. Peter.
(b) St. Edmund.
(c) St. Matthew.
(d) St. Roslin.
2. What is "elf-shot"?
3. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
(a) He fashioned the world.
(b) He would vanquish.
(c) He traveled the world.
(d) He wanted to search.
4. At dawn what is the first thing that the ploughman does in the morning?
(a) Start a fire.
(b) Feed the cattle.
(c) Milk the goats.
(d) Drive oxen to field.
5. How many charters and grants survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
(c) More than 1,600.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Pope Gregory pen a letter to Candidus?
2. Whose will is the earliest surviving will of any Anglo-Saxon king?
3. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
4. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
5. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author to the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." state that Anglo-Saxon riddles "satisfy us both as enigmas and as poems"?
2. What is the basic subject matter of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
3. Why did Pope Gregory I write a letter to Candidus?
4. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
5. What happened to the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
6. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
7. What does the hunter receive in return for the beasts that he slays for his king?
8. What are the four things that the shepherd does every day?
9. What was the reason that many Anglos found it necessary to learn the English language?
10. In what ways was the "Exeter Book" used prior to the book's importance being known?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)