|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
(b) More than 200.
(d) Less than 100.
2. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
(a) West Saxons.
(c) South Danes.
3. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
(a) He fashioned the world.
(b) He wanted to search.
(c) He traveled the world.
(d) He would vanquish.
4. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
(a) A monk.
(b) A hunter.
(c) A ploughman.
(d) A carpenter.
5. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what century was "An Estate Memorandum" written?
2. One of the riddles in the "Exeter Book" was used "to show the way in which the runic alphabet was a kind of"?
3. Where did the act of freeing a slave take place to "prevent subsequent violation"?
4. Who was the leading astronomer during the period when Old English became a "vehicle capable of expressing scientific thought"?
5. In late Anglo-Saxon England, what were women at liberty to accept or reject?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)