|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The riddles are described as being both "witty and obscene," and they are given this name?
(a) Double entendres.
2. Where, according to the excerpt from "The History of the English Church and People," had the slaves that Gregory saw hail from?
3. What does the "metrical irregularity" of the charms point to?
(a) A written tradition.
(b) A Celtic tradition.
(c) An oral tradition.
(d) A Norse tradition.
4. At the time of the meeting between the teacher and the hunter, why had the hunter not hunted "today"?
(a) It was Sunday.
(b) The lord of the region forbid hunting.
(c) He broke his arm and can no longer hunt.
(d) He has been ill.
5. Where did the act of freeing a slave take place to "prevent subsequent violation"?
(a) In a court.
(b) In the town square.
(c) At an alter.
(d) At the lord's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
2. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
3. In what year did Gregory send Augustine to Kent?
4. One of the riddles in the "Exeter Book" was used "to show the way in which the runic alphabet was a kind of"?
5. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author to the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." state that Anglo-Saxon riddles "satisfy us both as enigmas and as poems"?
2. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
3. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
4. In 754, what was deemed a reminder that "some pagans were determined to resist Christianity at all costs"?
5. What are the four things that the shepherd does every day?
6. What was the reason that many Anglos found it necessary to learn the English language?
7. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
8. What were some of the things that Boniface did when he worked as a missionary between 722 and 752?
9. What does the hunter receive in return for the beasts that he slays for his king?
10. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)