|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who raided Lindisfarne on June 8, 793?
(b) Pagan heathens.
(d) Celtic monks.
2. Where does the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." say riddles similar to the semi-metaphorical riddles of the "Exeter Book" occur?
(b) Chaucer's texts.
(c) Writings of the Pearl Poet.
(d) The Bible.
3. According to the introduction to "Greetings in Christ," who possessed "the sword of Constantine the Great"?
(c) St. Maurice.
(d) Alan the Geat.
4. At dawn what is the first thing that the ploughman does in the morning?
(a) Start a fire.
(b) Drive oxen to field.
(c) Milk the goats.
(d) Feed the cattle.
5. What object was given "store" as seen in "Beowulf" and named to a recipient in one king's will?
(c) Throne chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, living between the years 955-1020, does the author of the introduction to Example and Exhortation state was the "most significant figure in this age of religious and educational reform"?
2. What is "elf-shot"?
3. What does "eorpan motor" mean?
4. Where did the act of freeing a slave take place to "prevent subsequent violation"?
5. One of the riddles in the "Exeter Book" was used "to show the way in which the runic alphabet was a kind of"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning, when Latin was still a widely used language, what was English primarily used for?
2. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
3. In what ways was the "Exeter Book" used prior to the book's importance being known?
4. In 754, what was deemed a reminder that "some pagans were determined to resist Christianity at all costs"?
5. Why did Pope Gregory I write a letter to Candidus?
6. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
7. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
8. Describe the three sections of "Bald's Leechbook".
9. What were some of the things that Boniface did when he worked as a missionary between 722 and 752?
10. Why does the fisherman state that he would not wish to fish for whales?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)