|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who raided Lindisfarne on June 8, 793?
(b) Celtic monks.
(c) Pagan heathens.
2. During the conversation between the teacher and the fowler, what do readers find out the fowler "does" to birds "in many ways"?
(a) Damages them.
(b) Fools them.
(c) Entices them.
(d) Entrances them.
3. In the stanza that begins "I saw a creature," what sticks out behind the creature?
(a) His stomach.
(b) A row of spines.
(c) His tail.
(d) His foot.
4. What do some believe the "Exeter Book" has been used as in the past?
(a) Beer mat.
(b) Cutting Board.
(c) All of those listed.
(d) Bread and cheese board.
5. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
(a) If they divorce, and they have a child.
(b) If she outlives him, and they have a child.
(c) If she outlives him.
(d) If she found him guilty of lechery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
2. What was the first English secular biography?
3. In what year did Gregory send Augustine to Kent?
4. Whose power does the opening line of "For a Swarm of Bees" recognize?
5. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a few of the "problems" that "Bald's Leechbook" addresses?
2. Why did Pope Gregory I write a letter to Candidus?
3. What are the twelve charms?
4. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
5. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
6. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
7. In the beginning, when Latin was still a widely used language, what was English primarily used for?
8. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
9. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
10. What happened to the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)