|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the stanza that begins "I saw a creature," what sticks out behind the creature?
(a) His stomach.
(b) His tail.
(c) His foot.
(d) A row of spines.
2. Who was the godson of Aethelstan?
(d) Alan the Great.
3. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
(a) A monk.
(b) A hunter.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) A ploughman.
4. In what year did Alcuin of York leave England at the request of Charlemagne?
5. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
(a) Memories of times at their best.
(b) The turmoil of the times.
(c) Recollections of seafareres.
(d) The normal grind of everyday life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
2. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
3. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
4. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
5. What is embedded in the hilt of the sword of Constantine the Great?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)