|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many stress patterns does all Old English poetry contain?
2. What was the first use of the runic alphabet?
(b) Education of children.
(d) Education of slaves.
3. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
4. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
(a) West Saxons.
(b) South Danes.
5. What object was given "store" as seen in "Beowulf" and named to a recipient in one king's will?
(c) Throne chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the conversation between the teacher and the fowler, what do readers find out the fowler "does" to birds "in many ways"?
2. What is the name of the woman who "begged men from Cwaespatric"?
3. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
4. One of the riddles in the "Exeter Book" was used "to show the way in which the runic alphabet was a kind of"?
5. How many charters and grants survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
2. What does the hunter receive in return for the beasts that he slays for his king?
3. What were some of the things that Boniface did when he worked as a missionary between 722 and 752?
4. What are the twelve charms?
5. Why does the fisherman state that he would not wish to fish for whales?
6. In the beginning, when Latin was still a widely used language, what was English primarily used for?
7. What are the four things that the shepherd does every day?
8. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
9. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
10. Why did Pope Gregory I write a letter to Candidus?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)