|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the first book that King Alfred translated into the vernacular?
(a) "Pastoral Care."
(b) "Sins and Sinners."
(c) "The Importnace of Christianity."
(d) "Historical Moments in the Catholic Church."
2. According to the introduction to "Greetings in Christ," who possessed "the sword of Constantine the Great"?
(c) St. Maurice.
(d) Alan the Geat.
3. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
(a) Twelve charms.
(b) Four humors.
(c) Nine decending levels.
(d) Six "knowns."
4. What is the traditional kenning for a wife?
5. In what century was "An Estate Memorandum" written?
(a) 8th or 9th.
(b) 10th or 11th.
(c) 5th or 6th.
(d) 2nd or 3rd.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who "asked" the best known riddle of the Anglo-Saxon riddles?
2. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
3. What did the runic alphabet come to be used for later (after its first use)?
4. The object in the second stanza of "Thirty-One Riddles" is what by nature?
5. What is "elf-shot"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the things that Boniface did when he worked as a missionary between 722 and 752?
2. In the beginning, when Latin was still a widely used language, what was English primarily used for?
3. Describe the three sections of "Bald's Leechbook".
4. Why do the pupils in "A Colloquy" ask to be taught Latin?
5. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
6. What happened to the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
7. What are a few of the "problems" that "Bald's Leechbook" addresses?
8. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
9. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
10. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)