|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the first object in "Thirty-One Riddles" plunge through?
2. What object was given "store" as seen in "Beowulf" and named to a recipient in one king's will?
(d) Throne chair.
3. During the conversation between the teacher and the fowler, what do readers find out the fowler "does" to birds "in many ways"?
(a) Damages them.
(b) Entices them.
(c) Fools them.
(d) Entrances them.
4. In the stanza that begins "I saw a creature," what sticks out behind the creature?
(a) His stomach.
(b) His tail.
(c) A row of spines.
(d) His foot.
5. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the prior of the monastery at Dol Brittany in 924?
2. What is the name of the woman who "begged men from Cwaespatric"?
3. How many stress patterns does all Old English poetry contain?
4. In what year did Gregory send Augustine to Kent?
5. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
2. Describe the three sections of "Bald's Leechbook".
3. What is the basic subject matter of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
4. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
5. To whose writings are the Anglo-Saxon riddles compared?
6. In 754, what was deemed a reminder that "some pagans were determined to resist Christianity at all costs"?
7. Where was the greatest amount of scientific prose found in Anglo-Saxon literature?
8. What does the hunter receive in return for the beasts that he slays for his king?
9. Why were some Anglo-Saxon women known by the kenning "peace-weaver"?
10. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)