|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The object in the second stanza of "Thirty-One Riddles" is what by nature?
2. What do some believe the "Exeter Book" has been used as in the past?
(a) Bread and cheese board.
(b) All of those listed.
(c) Beer mat.
(d) Cutting Board.
3. According to "The History of the English Church and People," how does Bede describe the complexions of the slaves seen by Gregory in the Roman marketplace?
4. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
(a) South Danes.
(b) West Saxons.
5. How many times a day does the shepard milk his sheep?
(b) 2 times.
(c) Never- he doesn't own sheep.
(d) 3 times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where, according to the excerpt from "The History of the English Church and People," had the slaves that Gregory saw hail from?
2. In "Greetings in Christ," what does the author of the section say are susceptible to the "wear and tear of centuries"?
3. Where did the act of freeing a slave take place to "prevent subsequent violation"?
4. What object was given "store" as seen in "Beowulf" and named to a recipient in one king's will?
5. Who is the first of the "Three Charms" against?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author to the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." state that Anglo-Saxon riddles "satisfy us both as enigmas and as poems"?
2. Why did Pope Gregory I write a letter to Candidus?
3. Where was the greatest amount of scientific prose found in Anglo-Saxon literature?
4. In the beginning, when Latin was still a widely used language, what was English primarily used for?
5. Why were some Anglo-Saxon women known by the kenning "peace-weaver"?
6. In 754, what was deemed a reminder that "some pagans were determined to resist Christianity at all costs"?
7. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
8. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
9. What was the reason that many Anglos found it necessary to learn the English language?
10. What is the basic subject matter of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)