|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In King Alfred's preface to "St. Gregory's 'Pastoral Care,' who does he "bids greet"?
(c) Bishop Waerferth.
2. What did the runic alphabet come to be used for later (after its first use)?
(a) Pagan theology.
(c) Christian theology.
3. What does "eorpan motor" mean?
(a) Mother's ear.
(b) Mother of earth.
(c) Exiled man.
(d) Eastern light.
4. Who said "What use is the abundance of books if there are none to read and understand them?"
(a) Alcuin of York.
5. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many charters and grants survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. What object was given "store" as seen in "Beowulf" and named to a recipient in one king's will?
3. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
4. At the time of the meeting between the teacher and the hunter, why had the hunter not hunted "today"?
5. What is embedded in the hilt of the sword of Constantine the Great?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four things that the shepherd does every day?
2. In the beginning, when Latin was still a widely used language, what was English primarily used for?
3. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
4. Why does the author to the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." state that Anglo-Saxon riddles "satisfy us both as enigmas and as poems"?
5. Where was the greatest amount of scientific prose found in Anglo-Saxon literature?
6. In 754, what was deemed a reminder that "some pagans were determined to resist Christianity at all costs"?
7. What happened to the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
8. What is the basic subject matter of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
9. Who wrote many of the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
10. What were some of the things that Boniface did when he worked as a missionary between 722 and 752?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)