|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "The Wife's Lament," what "goes side by side with those who suffer longing for a loved one"?
2. How many men does Grendel murder just before his fight with Beowulf?
3. In how many "key relationships" did the heart of the Anglo-Saxon society lay?
4. Who is jealous of Beowulf?
5. During what century were the Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Pope Gregory invite Augustine to convert the English to Christianity?
2. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
3. Wihtred was king over what people?
4. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
5. In what book are the "six so-called Elegies" found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
2. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
3. In the beginning, when Latin was still a widely used language, what was English primarily used for?
4. What did one of King Edwin's men state were the differences between their time and the time of "which we have no knowledge"?
5. What is the basis of all elegies?
6. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
7. What are the four things that the shepherd does every day?
8. Why does the author to the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." state that Anglo-Saxon riddles "satisfy us both as enigmas and as poems"?
9. In 754, what was deemed a reminder that "some pagans were determined to resist Christianity at all costs"?
10. Why did Caedmon state that he left the feast and went to the stables?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)