|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
(a) Hell's Hall.
2. What is the name of the man that Beowulf challenges to a swimming race?
3. In what year did Pope Gregory invite Augustine to convert the English to Christianity?
4. What is Grendel unable to approach in Heorot?
(a) The queen.
(c) The throne.
(d) The banner.
5. How many lines is "The Battle of Maldon" missing at the beginning?
Short Answer Questions
1. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
2. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
3. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
4. According to "The Wife's Lament," what "goes side by side with those who suffer longing for a loved one"?
5. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1104 regarding the opening of Cuthbert's coffin?
2. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
3. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
4. What were the many reasons that Bede was renowned?
5. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
6. Why did Caedmon state that he left the feast and went to the stables?
7. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
8. What did one of King Edwin's men state were the differences between their time and the time of "which we have no knowledge"?
9. What were some of the earliest codes found to survive from the kingdom of Kent (690-725)?
10. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)