|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the author of "The Battle of Brunanburh" state is a "man of discretion"?
2. Other than paying six shillings to his lord for riding "on his own business on that day," what can a servant choose as his punishment?
3. Who made the weapon with which Beowulf beheads Grendel's mother?
4. In "The Ruin," what does the author name as "wondrous" and "wrecked by fate"?
(a) An affair.
(b) A whale-path.
(c) A stone-wall.
(d) A love lost.
5. What does Hrothgar promise Beowulf for killing Grendel?
(a) A wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Beowulf's death?
2. Who was "Letter to the English" meant to act as moral support for?
3. What is the author of "The Wanderer" searching for in his elegy?
4. What century was it when pagan Germanic tribesman "swarmed" into England?
5. Who is Grendel a descendant of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems" call "The Battle of Maldon" one of "the best battle poems in the English language"?
2. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
3. What did one of King Edwin's men state were the differences between their time and the time of "which we have no knowledge"?
4. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
5. According to the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems," what purpose do/did the heroic poems serve historically?
6. What were some of the common problems that lawmakers had to address during the Anglo-Saxon period?
7. What were the many reasons that Bede was renowned?
8. Why were some laws of the Anglo-Saxon period never put into writing?
9. What were the two key relationships at the heart of Anglo-Saxon society?
10. What two things is "The Battle of Maldon" concerned with in regard to theme?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)