|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Grendel a descendant of?
2. What is the date of Bede's death?
(a) January 4, 704.
(b) May 25, 735.
(c) December 25, 631.
(d) October 28, 739.
3. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
(a) "Misson" and "Molten".
(b) "Thricen" and "Shrine".
(c) "MIsendon" and "Candicet".
(d) "Single" and "Threefold".
4. How many men does Grendel murder on his first attack on the mead-hall?
5. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
(a) "The Battle of Maldon."
(b) "The Finnesburh Fragment."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Byrhthelm in "The Battle of Maldon," who alone can say who would control the battle field?
2. In "Cuthbert's Death and Disinterment," what type of home did Cuthbert seek out?
3. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
4. In "Deor", what did Weland "well know about"?
5. In a trial by ordeal, which rule speaks to the fine one would pay if found invalid and having broken the rules of the trial by ordeal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beowulf say about his upcoming battle with Grendel?
2. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
3. Why did Caedmon state that he left the feast and went to the stables?
4. What were some of the common problems that lawmakers had to address during the Anglo-Saxon period?
5. Why does Unferth challenge Beowulf's fame?
6. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
7. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
8. Why does the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems" call "The Battle of Maldon" one of "the best battle poems in the English language"?
9. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
10. What did one of King Edwin's men state were the differences between their time and the time of "which we have no knowledge"?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)