|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Husband's Message."
(b) "The Wife's Lament."
(c) "The Wanderer."
(d) "The Seafarer."
2. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
(a) 2 from "each side".
(b) 1 from "each side".
(c) 4 from "each side".
(d) 3 from "each side".
3. Other than paying six shillings to his lord for riding "on his own business on that day," what can a servant choose as his punishment?
4. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
(a) "The Finnesburh Fragment."
(b) "The Battle of Maldon."
5. Who does Hrothgar know from Beowulf's family?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person that "was a crucial member of a tribe or a society" and existed as "a living memory"?
2. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
3. What does Beowulf use to fight Grendel?
4. In how many "key relationships" did the heart of the Anglo-Saxon society lay?
5. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
2. What did one of King Edwin's men state were the differences between their time and the time of "which we have no knowledge"?
3. Why did Caedmon state that he left the feast and went to the stables?
4. Explain the procedure of lawsuits for Anglo-Saxons.
5. What does Beowulf say about his upcoming battle with Grendel?
6. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
7. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
8. What were the two key relationships at the heart of Anglo-Saxon society?
9. What is the main theme of the poem "The Wanderer"?
10. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)