|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
(a) 2 from "each side".
(b) 4 from "each side".
(c) 1 from "each side".
(d) 3 from "each side".
2. According to the author of the introduction to The Elegies, what do many Anglo-Saxon poems fail to have a "sufficient frame" of?
3. Wihtred was king over what people?
(a) South Dane.
4. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
(a) 100 sceattas.
(b) 50 sceattas.
(c) 25 sceattas.
(d) 80 sceattas.
5. In "The Ruin," what does the author name as "wondrous" and "wrecked by fate"?
(a) A stone-wall.
(b) A whale-path.
(c) A love lost.
(d) An affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lines is "The Battle of Maldon" missing at the beginning?
2. Who was the patron saint of Northumbria?
3. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
4. What is Grendel unable to approach in Heorot?
5. According to Byrhthelm in "The Battle of Maldon," who alone can say who would control the battle field?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beowulf say about his upcoming battle with Grendel?
2. Why does Unferth challenge Beowulf's fame?
3. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
4. What were the two key relationships at the heart of Anglo-Saxon society?
5. What happened in 1104 regarding the opening of Cuthbert's coffin?
6. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
7. To whom is Grendel related and why is this important?
8. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
9. According to the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems," what purpose do/did the heroic poems serve historically?
10. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)