|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "Letter to the English"?
2. In what year was Bede born?
3. What poem is described by the author as "an antiquarian's delight"?
(b) The Ruin.
(c) The Wanderer.
4. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
(a) In hope for land.
(b) In his sails.
(c) In himself.
(d) In his lord.
5. Besides "The Wife's Lament," what is the only other Anglo-Saxon poem written by a woman?
(a) The Marriage-Oath.
(c) The Promise
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
2. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
3. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
4. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
5. Where is Hrothgar's kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
2. Why does Unferth challenge Beowulf's fame?
3. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
4. What is the basis of all elegies?
5. What did one of King Edwin's men state were the differences between their time and the time of "which we have no knowledge"?
6. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
7. What happened in 1104 regarding the opening of Cuthbert's coffin?
8. What purpose did the scop have in Anglo-Saxon history?
9. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
10. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)