|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Seafarer."
(b) "The Wanderer."
(c) "The Wife's Lament."
(d) "The Husband's Message."
2. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
(a) 25 sceattas.
(b) 50 sceattas.
(c) 80 sceattas.
(d) 100 sceattas.
3. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
4. According to the introduction to the Heroic Poems section, what do heroic poems link our Anglo-Saxon ancestors to?
(a) Geatland origins.
(b) European origins.
(c) French origins.
(d) Dutch origins.
5. Why does the author say that Alfred failed to put some laws into writing?
(a) They were based upon critical thought.
(b) They were only meant for those who could not read.
(c) They only refered to those who were poor.
(d) They were based on common sense.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person that "was a crucial member of a tribe or a society" and existed as "a living memory"?
2. In "The Husband's Message" how many times does the husband remind his wife of their oath of marriage?
3. What poem is described by the author as "an antiquarian's delight"?
4. Where is Beowulf from?
5. Besides "The Wife's Lament," what is the only other Anglo-Saxon poem written by a woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose did the scop have in Anglo-Saxon history?
2. Why were some laws of the Anglo-Saxon period never put into writing?
3. Explain the procedure of lawsuits for Anglo-Saxons.
4. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
5. What happened in 1104 regarding the opening of Cuthbert's coffin?
6. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
7. To whom is Grendel related and why is this important?
8. What is the Germanic Code?
9. Why does the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems" call "The Battle of Maldon" one of "the best battle poems in the English language"?
10. What is the main theme of the poem "The Wanderer"?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)