|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the introduction to the Heroic Poems section, what do heroic poems link our Anglo-Saxon ancestors to?
(a) French origins.
(b) Geatland origins.
(c) Dutch origins.
(d) European origins.
2. In "The Finnesburh Fragment," what does the first line say is "not burning"?
(a) The spires.
(b) The pits of Hell.
(c) The sky.
(d) The gables.
3. In a trial by ordeal, which rule speaks to the fine one would pay if found invalid and having broken the rules of the trial by ordeal?
4. What does Beowulf tear off of Grendel?
(a) His tail.
(b) His leg.
(c) His hand.
(d) His arm.
5. Who does the author in the introduction to the Laws section say, "most of us" need to turn to in order to "establish the exact wording of a law"?
(a) A priest.
(b) A solicitor.
(c) A law writer.
(d) A barrister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Beowulf from?
2. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
3. What is the name of the monastery spoken of in "Caedmon's Vision"?
4. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
5. In what year was Cuthbert's coffin opened in Durham Cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. What purpose did the scop have in Anglo-Saxon history?
3. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
4. According to the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems," what purpose do/did the heroic poems serve historically?
5. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
6. What happened in 1104 regarding the opening of Cuthbert's coffin?
7. Why did Caedmon state that he left the feast and went to the stables?
8. To whom is Grendel related and why is this important?
9. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
10. What two things is "The Battle of Maldon" concerned with in regard to theme?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)