|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "The Wife's Lament," what "goes side by side with those who suffer longing for a loved one"?
2. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
(a) In a well.
(b) In a foreign castle.
(c) In an earth-cave.
(d) In a barn.
3. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
(a) Only the lords.
(b) All priests.
(c) All men.
(d) Only the bards.
4. Who was the patron saint of Northumbria?
5. What causes Beowulf's death?
(a) He falls from a cliff.
(b) Dragon bite.
(c) Dragon fire.
(d) He drowns in the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who translated Bede's "History of the English Church and People"?
2. What is the date of Bede's death?
3. At what age (the boys' age) did Irish monks begin to train Anglo-Saxon boys as novices?
4. What is the name of the person that "was a crucial member of a tribe or a society" and existed as "a living memory"?
5. What century was it when pagan Germanic tribesman "swarmed" into England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Caedmon state that he left the feast and went to the stables?
2. According to the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems," what purpose do/did the heroic poems serve historically?
3. What were the two key relationships at the heart of Anglo-Saxon society?
4. Why were some laws of the Anglo-Saxon period never put into writing?
5. Explain the procedure of lawsuits for Anglo-Saxons.
6. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
7. What were some of the common problems that lawmakers had to address during the Anglo-Saxon period?
8. Who was defined as the "most unfortunate man" in Anglo-Saxon society?
9. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
10. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)