|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Wanderer."
(b) "The Wife's Lament."
(c) "The Husband's Message."
(d) "The Seafarer."
2. In "The Battle of Maldon," who does Byrhtnoth order to dismount?
(a) His bard.
(b) Every warrior.
(c) His wife.
(d) The priest.
3. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
(a) In a foreign castle.
(b) In a barn.
(c) In a well.
(d) In an earth-cave.
4. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
5. At what age (the boys' age) did Irish monks begin to train Anglo-Saxon boys as novices?
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
2. Who made the weapon with which Beowulf beheads Grendel's mother?
3. In what year did Pope Gregory invite Augustine to convert the English to Christianity?
4. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
5. Whose arrival signaled the Golden Age of Northumbria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were some laws of the Anglo-Saxon period never put into writing?
2. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
3. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
4. Who was defined as the "most unfortunate man" in Anglo-Saxon society?
5. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
6. What does Beowulf say about his upcoming battle with Grendel?
7. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
8. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
9. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
10. What is the topic of the six "so-called Elegies"?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)