|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "The Wife's Lament," what "goes side by side with those who suffer longing for a loved one"?
2. What does "The Seafarer" learn that ships are homes of?
3. During what century did the first Anglo-Saxon settlers migrate to England?
4. Who wrote "Letter to the English"?
5. What adjective does the poet of "The Seafarer" use to describe the song that he sings of himself?
Short Answer Questions
1. In how many "key relationships" did the heart of the Anglo-Saxon society lay?
2. In what year were Wihtred's laws issued?
3. During what century were the Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity?
4. What is a compressed narrative poem?
5. In what year was Cuthbert's coffin opened in Durham Cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the merchant justify his worth to the teacher?
2. In 754, what was deemed a reminder that "some pagans were determined to resist Christianity at all costs"?
3. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
4. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
5. What happened to the letters that survived pre-Conquest England?
6. What did one of King Edwin's men state were the differences between their time and the time of "which we have no knowledge"?
7. Why does Unferth challenge Beowulf's fame?
8. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
9. In the beginning, when Latin was still a widely used language, what was English primarily used for?
10. Why did Caedmon state that he left the feast and went to the stables?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)