Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hero in "The Finnesburh Fragment"?
2. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
(a) A sword.
(b) A goblet.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A banner.
3. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
(a) The Church.
(b) The Bards.
4. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
(a) Title them.
(b) Follow the "code".
(c) Pay hommage to their past.
(d) Honor God.
5. In "The Wanderer," from whom does the wanderer plead for pity and mercy?
(a) His lord.
(c) The sea.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Grendel a descendant of?
2. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
3. What does Hrothgar promise Beowulf for killing Grendel?
4. Who translated Bede's "History of the English Church and People"?
5. What causes Beowulf's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
3. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
4. According to the author of the introduction to "I Saw A Creature...," what "relief" does the author state is found in Anglo-Saxon riddles?
5. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
6. What are the twelve charms?
7. Describe the appearance of the slaves that Gregory I came across prior to becoming Pope.
8. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
9. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
10. What was the purpose of "An Estate Memorandum"?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)