|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
(a) 4 from "each side".
(b) 3 from "each side".
(c) 1 from "each side".
(d) 2 from "each side".
2. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
(a) The Bards.
(b) The Church.
3. When does the author believe that "Waldere" was written?
(a) 8th century.
(b) 5th century.
(c) 10th century.
(d) 12th century.
4. Wihtred was king over what people?
(c) South Dane.
5. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Wife's Lament."
(b) "The Wanderer."
(c) "The Seafarer."
(d) "The Husband's Message."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made the weapon with which Beowulf beheads Grendel's mother?
2. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
3. Who translated Bede's "History of the English Church and People"?
4. In "The Ruin," what does the author name as "wondrous" and "wrecked by fate"?
5. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ploughman say his day is spent doing?
2. What was the reason that many Anglos found it necessary to learn the English language?
3. What are the four things that the shepherd does every day?
4. What purpose did the scop have in Anglo-Saxon history?
5. In what ways was the runic alphabet used throughout Anglo-Saxon history?
6. What is the topic of the six "so-called Elegies"?
7. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
8. What does the hunter receive in return for the beasts that he slays for his king?
9. Why does the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems" call "The Battle of Maldon" one of "the best battle poems in the English language"?
10. What were some of the common problems that lawmakers had to address during the Anglo-Saxon period?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)