|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the patron saint of Northumbria?
2. Who does Hrothgar know from Beowulf's family?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
3. At what age (the boys' age) did Irish monks begin to train Anglo-Saxon boys as novices?
4. According to the author of the introduction to The Elegies, what do many Anglo-Saxon poems fail to have a "sufficient frame" of?
5. What is the name of the person that "was a crucial member of a tribe or a society" and existed as "a living memory"?
(a) The clergy.
(b) The jester.
(c) The knave.
(d) The scop.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "The Wife's Lament," what "goes side by side with those who suffer longing for a loved one"?
2. Who wrote "Letter to the English"?
3. On Christmas Day under the rule of Augustine ten thousand people were baptized through what method?
4. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
5. What does Beowulf tear off of Grendel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
2. What did one of King Edwin's men state were the differences between their time and the time of "which we have no knowledge"?
3. To whom is Grendel related and why is this important?
4. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
5. What is the Germanic Code?
6. What were some of the common problems that lawmakers had to address during the Anglo-Saxon period?
7. What were the two key relationships at the heart of Anglo-Saxon society?
8. What is the main theme of the poem "The Wanderer"?
9. What must Beowulf do to kill Grendel's mother?
10. What is the basis of all elegies?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)