|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Husband's Message."
(b) "The Seafarer."
(c) "The Wife's Lament."
(d) "The Wanderer."
2. What does the word "wergild" mean?
(a) A man's value.
(b) The naming of a bard.
(c) The succession of kinship.
(d) A families land.
3. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
4. What is the name of the man that Beowulf challenges to a swimming race?
5. In what year was Cuthbert's coffin opened in Durham Cathedral?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
2. According to Byrhthelm in "The Battle of Maldon," who alone can say who would control the battle field?
3. According to the author of the introduction to The Elegies, what do many Anglo-Saxon poems fail to have a "sufficient frame" of?
4. At what age (the boys' age) did Irish monks begin to train Anglo-Saxon boys as novices?
5. What does the Introduction to the Law section say was gagged upon when fed to Ecclesiastics if they were found guilty?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the histories and legends passed down during the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
3. What purpose did the scop have in Anglo-Saxon history?
4. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
5. To whom is Grendel related and why is this important?
6. Why does the author of the introduction to "Heroic Poems" call "The Battle of Maldon" one of "the best battle poems in the English language"?
7. What does Beowulf say about his upcoming battle with Grendel?
8. Why did Caedmon state that he left the feast and went to the stables?
9. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
10. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)