|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Byrhthelm in "The Battle of Maldon," who alone can say who would control the battle field?
(b) The queen.
(c) He, himself.
(d) The peasantry.
2. Who is Grendel a descendant of?
3. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
(b) "The Battle of Maldon."
(d) "The Finnesburh Fragment."
4. Wihtred was king over what people?
(a) South Dane.
5. In "Cuthbert's Death and Disinterment," what type of home did Cuthbert seek out?
(a) Godly home.
(b) Heavenly home.
(c) Forbidden home.
(d) Island home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author of "The Battle of Brunanburh" state is a "man of discretion"?
2. In what year were Wihtred's laws issued?
3. In "The Finnesburh Fragment," what does the first line say is "not burning"?
4. Who was "Letter to the English" meant to act as moral support for?
5. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways was the "Exeter Book" used prior to the book's importance being known?
2. Explain the importance of the phrase, "the surging fire of hellish torment"?
3. What two things is "The Battle of Maldon" concerned with in regard to theme?
4. What is the main theme of the poem "The Wanderer"?
5. Why were some laws of the Anglo-Saxon period never put into writing?
6. What does Beowulf do right after killing Grendel's mother?
7. In 754, what was deemed a reminder that "some pagans were determined to resist Christianity at all costs"?
8. Why does the author of the introduction to "The Elegies" state that "The Ruin" is "an antiquarian's delight"?
9. Why did Pope Gregory I write a letter to Candidus?
10. Why were some Anglo-Saxon women known by the kenning "peace-weaver"?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)