|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Beowulf's death?
(a) He drowns in the ocean.
(b) He falls from a cliff.
(c) Dragon fire.
(d) Dragon bite.
2. In "The Ruin," what does the author name as "wondrous" and "wrecked by fate"?
(a) An affair.
(b) A love lost.
(c) A stone-wall.
(d) A whale-path.
3. How many men does Grendel murder on his first attack on the mead-hall?
4. In "The Husband's Message" how many times does the husband remind his wife of their oath of marriage?
(a) 1 time.
(b) 10 times.
(c) 3 times.
(d) 2 times.
5. In what year were Wihtred's laws issued?
Short Answer Questions
1. During what century were the Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity?
2. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
3. In "The Battle of Maldon," who "over-confidently allowed the Danes to cross the causeway"?
4. What is the name of the island that Cuthbert died on?
5. Who was the patron saint of Northumbria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the "Easter Tables"?
2. What purpose did the scop have in Anglo-Saxon history?
3. Who was defined as the "most unfortunate man" in Anglo-Saxon society?
4. What were some of the earliest codes found to survive from the kingdom of Kent (690-725)?
5. What was the order that needed to be followed to exact punishments and define laws during the Anglo-Saxon period?
6. What were some of the common problems that lawmakers had to address during the Anglo-Saxon period?
7. What happened in 1104 regarding the opening of Cuthbert's coffin?
8. Why was Hrothgar forced to close Heorot?
9. What happened on Christmas day in 597 in Anglo-Saxon history?
10. What did King Edwin say must be done before he would accept the Christian faith?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)