Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
(b) More than 200.
(d) Less than 100.
2. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
(a) West Saxons.
(c) South Danes.
3. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
(a) He fashioned the world.
(b) He wanted to search.
(c) He traveled the world.
(d) He would vanquish.
4. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
(a) A monk.
(b) A hunter.
(c) A ploughman.
(d) A carpenter.
5. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
6. In what century was "An Estate Memorandum" written?
(a) 5th or 6th.
(b) 8th or 9th.
(c) 10th or 11th.
(d) 2nd or 3rd.
7. One of the riddles in the "Exeter Book" was used "to show the way in which the runic alphabet was a kind of"?
(c) Useless knowledge.
8. Where did the act of freeing a slave take place to "prevent subsequent violation"?
(a) In the town square.
(b) In a court.
(c) At the lord's home.
(d) At an alter.
9. Who was the leading astronomer during the period when Old English became a "vehicle capable of expressing scientific thought"?
10. In late Anglo-Saxon England, what were women at liberty to accept or reject?
(a) Marriage suitors.
(b) Exile based upon family err.
(c) Financial proposals.
(d) Their children.
11. Who "asked" the best known riddle of the Anglo-Saxon riddles?
(a) The Centaur.
(b) The Sphinx.
(c) The Nemean Lion.
(d) The Griffin.
12. In what year did Gregory send Augustine to Kent?
13. How many times a day does the shepard milk his sheep?
(a) 2 times.
(b) Never- he doesn't own sheep.
(d) 3 times.
14. What is the name of the woman who "begged men from Cwaespatric"?
15. How many poems are included in the canon of the "Exeter Book"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first use of the runic alphabet?
2. Where was Boniface leading a mission when he was killed?
3. The riddles are described as being both "witty and obscene," and they are given this name?
4. What is the traditional kenning for a wife?
5. What does the "metrical irregularity" of the charms point to?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)