|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Gregory send Augustine to Kent?
2. According to "The History of the English Church and People," how does Bede describe the complexions of the slaves seen by Gregory in the Roman marketplace?
3. How many poems are included in the canon of the "Exeter Book"?
4. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
5. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
(a) Four humors.
(b) Six "knowns."
(c) Nine decending levels.
(d) Twelve charms.
6. Who was the prior of the monastery at Dol Brittany in 924?
7. In what year was Boniface born?
8. What does "eorpan motor" mean?
(a) Exiled man.
(b) Eastern light.
(c) Mother of earth.
(d) Mother's ear.
9. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
10. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
11. In the stanza beginning "I'm a strange creature," what does the strange creature state it satisfies?
12. What kingdom does the author of the introduction to "Greetings in Christ" say the "boys" came from?
(d) South Daneland.
13. According to the introduction to "Greetings in Christ," who possessed "the sword of Constantine the Great"?
(a) St. Maurice.
(d) Alan the Geat.
14. What did the runic alphabet come to be used for later (after its first use)?
(a) Christian theology.
(b) Pagan theology.
15. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
(b) Less than 100.
(c) More than 200.
Short Answer Questions
1. The object in the second stanza of "Thirty-One Riddles" is what by nature?
2. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
3. In what century was "An Estate Memorandum" written?
4. What object was given "store" as seen in "Beowulf" and named to a recipient in one king's will?
5. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)