|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "The History of the English Church and People," how does Bede describe the complexions of the slaves seen by Gregory in the Roman marketplace?
2. In the stanza that begins "I saw a creature," what sticks out behind the creature?
(a) His tail.
(b) His stomach.
(c) A row of spines.
(d) His foot.
3. What is the name of "one of the most popular philosophical books of the Middle Ages"? (According to the author of the introduction.)
(a) "Justifications of Philosophical Thought."
(b) "Consolation of Philosophy."
(c) "Ancient Beliefs and Modern Philosophies."
(d) "Intermediate Teachings of Higher Thought."
4. Whose will is the earliest surviving will of any Anglo-Saxon king?
(a) King Alfred.
(b) King Bede.
(c) King Hreather.
(d) King Solomon.
5. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
6. Whose power does the opening line of "For a Swarm of Bees" recognize?
7. What does the "metrical irregularity" of the charms point to?
(a) A written tradition.
(b) An oral tradition.
(c) A Celtic tradition.
(d) A Norse tradition.
8. In "A Colloquy" what does the pupil say he prefer to ignorance?
(a) To be exiled.
(b) To be imprisoned.
(c) To be flogged.
(d) To be mute.
9. What is "elf-shot"?
10. What did the runic alphabet come to be used for later (after its first use)?
(a) Christian theology.
(c) Pagan theology.
11. Who, living between the years 955-1020, does the author of the introduction to Example and Exhortation state was the "most significant figure in this age of religious and educational reform"?
12. In the stanza beginning "I'm a strange creature," what does the strange creature state it satisfies?
13. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
(a) West Saxons.
(c) South Danes.
14. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
15. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
(a) If she outlives him, and they have a child.
(b) If she outlives him.
(c) If they divorce, and they have a child.
(d) If she found him guilty of lechery.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the "Exeter Book" bequeathed to the Cathedral Library?
2. Who "asked" the best known riddle of the Anglo-Saxon riddles?
3. At the time of the meeting between the teacher and the hunter, why had the hunter not hunted "today"?
4. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
5. Where did the act of freeing a slave take place to "prevent subsequent violation"?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)