|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
(a) Six "knowns."
(b) Twelve charms.
(c) Four humors.
(d) Nine decending levels.
2. Who said "What use is the abundance of books if there are none to read and understand them?"
(c) Alcuin of York.
3. What was the first use of the runic alphabet?
(a) Education of slaves.
(b) Education of children.
4. One of the riddles in the "Exeter Book" was used "to show the way in which the runic alphabet was a kind of"?
(b) Useless knowledge.
5. Who was the leading astronomer during the period when Old English became a "vehicle capable of expressing scientific thought"?
6. What is the name of the book that the author claims to be the earliest and most substantial work of scientific prose?
(a) "Starcraft of Early England."
(c) "Bald's Leechbook."
(d) Bede's "Times and Tides."
7. In King Alfred's preface to "St. Gregory's 'Pastoral Care,' who does he "bids greet"?
(b) Bishop Waerferth.
8. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
9. In what year did Alcuin of York leave England at the request of Charlemagne?
10. What physical feature did Gregory state made the name of the "Angles" appropriate?
(a) Their hair.
(b) Their faces.
(c) Their hands.
(d) Their bowed heads.
11. In what century was "An Estate Memorandum" written?
(a) 2nd or 3rd.
(b) 8th or 9th.
(c) 5th or 6th.
(d) 10th or 11th.
12. In the stanza that begins "I saw a creature," what sticks out behind the creature?
(a) His foot.
(b) His tail.
(c) His stomach.
(d) A row of spines.
13. What does the moth devour in "Thirty-One Riddles"?
14. What kingdom does the author of the introduction to "Greetings in Christ" say the "boys" came from?
(c) South Daneland.
15. What is "elf-shot"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the traditional kenning for a wife?
2. Who raided Lindisfarne on June 8, 793?
3. Where, according to the excerpt from "The History of the English Church and People," had the slaves that Gregory saw hail from?
4. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
5. What does "eorpan motor" mean?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)