|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject and tone of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
(a) Enormously varied.
(b) Strictly upbeat.
(c) Commonly sad.
(d) Never emotional.
2. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
(a) Nine decending levels.
(b) Twelve charms.
(c) Six "knowns."
(d) Four humors.
3. Where did the act of freeing a slave take place to "prevent subsequent violation"?
(a) At the lord's home.
(b) At an alter.
(c) In a court.
(d) In the town square.
4. In what year was Boniface born?
5. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
(a) West Saxons.
(c) South Danes.
6. In late Anglo-Saxon England, what were women at liberty to accept or reject?
(a) Exile based upon family err.
(b) Financial proposals.
(c) Marriage suitors.
(d) Their children.
7. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
8. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
(a) King Alfred.
9. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
10. How many stress patterns does all Old English poetry contain?
11. According to "The History of the English Church and People," how does Bede describe the complexions of the slaves seen by Gregory in the Roman marketplace?
12. In King Alfred's preface to "St. Gregory's 'Pastoral Care,' who does he "bids greet"?
(b) Bishop Waerferth.
13. In what year did Alcuin of York leave England at the request of Charlemagne?
14. What was the name of the first book that King Alfred translated into the vernacular?
(a) "Historical Moments in the Catholic Church."
(b) "The Importnace of Christianity."
(c) "Pastoral Care."
(d) "Sins and Sinners."
15. What does Aelfric say is revealed when Christ performs miracles through saints?
(a) True faith.
(c) Power of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the "Exeter Book" bequeathed to the Cathedral Library?
2. Who "asked" the best known riddle of the Anglo-Saxon riddles?
3. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
4. In the stanza beginning "I'm a strange creature," what does the strange creature state it satisfies?
5. What is "elf-shot"?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)