|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
2. Who raided Lindisfarne on June 8, 793?
(a) Celtic monks.
(d) Pagan heathens.
3. What was the first English secular biography?
(b) "The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle."
(c) "Life of King Alfred."
(d) "Common Sense."
4. One of the riddles in the "Exeter Book" was used "to show the way in which the runic alphabet was a kind of"?
(c) Useless knowledge.
5. What does the first object in "Thirty-One Riddles" plunge through?
6. In "Greetings in Christ," what does the author of the section say are susceptible to the "wear and tear of centuries"?
(a) Christian thought.
7. In what year did Alcuin of York leave England at the request of Charlemagne?
8. Whose power does the opening line of "For a Swarm of Bees" recognize?
9. Who is the first of the "Three Charms" against?
(a) A snake.
(b) A tree.
(c) A dog.
(d) A wen.
10. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
(a) St. Peter.
(b) St. Edmund.
(c) St. Matthew.
(d) St. Roslin.
11. How many times a day does the shepard milk his sheep?
(a) 3 times.
(b) Never- he doesn't own sheep.
(d) 2 times.
12. What does "eorpan motor" mean?
(a) Mother of earth.
(b) Eastern light.
(c) Mother's ear.
(d) Exiled man.
13. The riddles are described as being both "witty and obscene," and they are given this name?
(b) Double entendres.
14. In the stanza beginning "I'm a strange creature," what does the strange creature state it satisfies?
15. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
(a) A ploughman.
(b) A hunter.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) A monk.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "The History of the English Church and People," how does Bede describe the complexions of the slaves seen by Gregory in the Roman marketplace?
2. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
3. What kingdom does the author of the introduction to "Greetings in Christ" say the "boys" came from?
4. The object in the second stanza of "Thirty-One Riddles" is what by nature?
5. Where was Boniface leading a mission when he was killed?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)