|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many charters and grants survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
(a) More than 1,600.
2. What kingdom does the author of the introduction to "Greetings in Christ" say the "boys" came from?
(a) South Daneland.
3. What does "eorpan motor" mean?
(a) Mother of earth.
(b) Mother's ear.
(c) Exiled man.
(d) Eastern light.
4. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
5. What is embedded in the hilt of the sword of Constantine the Great?
(a) A marking denoting the Annunciation.
(b) A parable from the Book of Mathew.
(c) A nail from the Cross.
(d) A Widow's mite.
6. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
(a) He traveled the world.
(b) He would vanquish.
(c) He wanted to search.
(d) He fashioned the world.
7. What do some believe the "Exeter Book" has been used as in the past?
(a) Cutting Board.
(b) All of those listed.
(c) Beer mat.
(d) Bread and cheese board.
8. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
(a) St. Matthew.
(b) St. Roslin.
(c) St. Edmund.
(d) St. Peter.
9. In what year did Pope Gregory pen a letter to Candidus?
10. Where, according to the excerpt from "The History of the English Church and People," had the slaves that Gregory saw hail from?
11. What is the name of the woman who "begged men from Cwaespatric"?
12. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
(a) If she outlives him.
(b) If they divorce, and they have a child.
(c) If she found him guilty of lechery.
(d) If she outlives him, and they have a child.
13. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
(a) Memories of times at their best.
(b) Recollections of seafareres.
(c) The normal grind of everyday life.
(d) The turmoil of the times.
14. What is "elf-shot"?
15. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the leading astronomer during the period when Old English became a "vehicle capable of expressing scientific thought"?
2. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
3. Who raided Lindisfarne on June 8, 793?
4. In what year did Alcuin of York leave England at the request of Charlemagne?
5. The object in the second stanza of "Thirty-One Riddles" is what by nature?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)