|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what century was "An Estate Memorandum" written?
(a) 5th or 6th.
(b) 2nd or 3rd.
(c) 8th or 9th.
(d) 10th or 11th.
2. Where was Boniface leading a mission when he was killed?
3. What was the name of the first book that King Alfred translated into the vernacular?
(a) "The Importnace of Christianity."
(b) "Pastoral Care."
(c) "Historical Moments in the Catholic Church."
(d) "Sins and Sinners."
4. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
(a) The normal grind of everyday life.
(b) Recollections of seafareres.
(c) Memories of times at their best.
(d) The turmoil of the times.
5. Where does the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." say riddles similar to the semi-metaphorical riddles of the "Exeter Book" occur?
(a) Chaucer's texts.
(c) Writings of the Pearl Poet.
(d) The Bible.
6. What is the name of "one of the most popular philosophical books of the Middle Ages"? (According to the author of the introduction.)
(a) "Consolation of Philosophy."
(b) "Justifications of Philosophical Thought."
(c) "Intermediate Teachings of Higher Thought."
(d) "Ancient Beliefs and Modern Philosophies."
7. Who, living between the years 955-1020, does the author of the introduction to Example and Exhortation state was the "most significant figure in this age of religious and educational reform"?
8. How many charters and grants survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
(b) More than 1,600.
9. According to "The History of the English Church and People," how does Bede describe the complexions of the slaves seen by Gregory in the Roman marketplace?
10. What was the name of the most powerful English king "prior to Alfred"?
11. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
12. What sickness does "Bald's Leechbook" address in the opening line?
13. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
14. In what year did Gregory send Augustine to Kent?
15. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
(a) South Danes.
(d) West Saxons.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the conversation between the teacher and the fowler, what do readers find out the fowler "does" to birds "in many ways"?
2. At dawn what is the first thing that the ploughman does in the morning?
3. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
4. In what century did Old English become a "vehicle capable of expressing scientific thought"?
5. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)