|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose power does the opening line of "For a Swarm of Bees" recognize?
2. Who was the prior of the monastery at Dol Brittany in 924?
3. In the stanza beginning "I'm a strange creature," what does the strange creature state it satisfies?
4. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
(a) Less than 100.
(c) More than 200.
5. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
(a) Four humors.
(b) Six "knowns."
(c) Twelve charms.
(d) Nine decending levels.
6. The riddles are described as being both "witty and obscene," and they are given this name?
(c) Double entendres.
7. In "Greetings in Christ," what does the author of the section say are susceptible to the "wear and tear of centuries"?
(b) Christian thought.
8. According to the introduction to "Greetings in Christ," who possessed "the sword of Constantine the Great"?
(c) Alan the Geat.
(d) St. Maurice.
9. In "A Colloquy" what does the pupil say he prefer to ignorance?
(a) To be exiled.
(b) To be flogged.
(c) To be imprisoned.
(d) To be mute.
10. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
(a) West Saxons.
(d) South Danes.
11. Where was Boniface leading a mission when he was killed?
12. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
(a) The turmoil of the times.
(b) The normal grind of everyday life.
(c) Recollections of seafareres.
(d) Memories of times at their best.
13. What position was Candidus set to take up in Gaul?
(a) Senior churchman.
(d) Senior monk.
14. What was the first English secular biography?
(a) "Life of King Alfred."
(c) "The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle."
(d) "Common Sense."
15. Who "asked" the best known riddle of the Anglo-Saxon riddles?
(a) The Sphinx.
(b) The Centaur.
(c) The Nemean Lion.
(d) The Griffin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
2. In late Anglo-Saxon England, what were women at liberty to accept or reject?
3. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
4. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
5. Who said "What use is the abundance of books if there are none to read and understand them?"
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)