|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Pope Gregory pen a letter to Candidus?
2. What does Aelfric say is revealed when Christ performs miracles through saints?
(a) True faith.
(b) Power of God.
3. What physical feature did Gregory state made the name of the "Angles" appropriate?
(a) Their bowed heads.
(b) Their hands.
(c) Their faces.
(d) Their hair.
4. What does the first object in "Thirty-One Riddles" plunge through?
5. What is the name of the woman who "begged men from Cwaespatric"?
6. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
(b) Less than 100.
(d) More than 200.
7. What sickness does "Bald's Leechbook" address in the opening line?
8. What is the name of "one of the most popular philosophical books of the Middle Ages"? (According to the author of the introduction.)
(a) "Consolation of Philosophy."
(b) "Justifications of Philosophical Thought."
(c) "Intermediate Teachings of Higher Thought."
(d) "Ancient Beliefs and Modern Philosophies."
9. What position was Candidus set to take up in Gaul?
(a) Senior churchman.
(d) Senior monk.
10. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
(d) King Alfred.
11. In the stanza that begins "I saw a creature," what sticks out behind the creature?
(a) His tail.
(b) A row of spines.
(c) His foot.
(d) His stomach.
12. Who was the prior of the monastery at Dol Brittany in 924?
13. Who said "What use is the abundance of books if there are none to read and understand them?"
(b) Alcuin of York.
14. How many times a day does the shepard milk his sheep?
(a) 3 times.
(b) 2 times.
(d) Never- he doesn't own sheep.
15. In what century was "An Estate Memorandum" written?
(a) 8th or 9th.
(b) 2nd or 3rd.
(c) 5th or 6th.
(d) 10th or 11th.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is embedded in the hilt of the sword of Constantine the Great?
2. According to the introduction to "Greetings in Christ," who possessed "the sword of Constantine the Great"?
3. What is the traditional kenning for a wife?
4. What is the subject and tone of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
5. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)