|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
2. How many times a day does the shepard milk his sheep?
(a) 3 times.
(b) 2 times.
(d) Never- he doesn't own sheep.
3. In "A Colloquy" what does the pupil say he prefer to ignorance?
(a) To be flogged.
(b) To be exiled.
(c) To be imprisoned.
(d) To be mute.
4. Where was Boniface leading a mission when he was killed?
5. What is the name of the book that the author claims to be the earliest and most substantial work of scientific prose?
(a) "Starcraft of Early England."
(b) "Bald's Leechbook."
(d) Bede's "Times and Tides."
6. Who was the prior of the monastery at Dol Brittany in 924?
7. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
(a) Twelve charms.
(b) Nine decending levels.
(c) Six "knowns."
(d) Four humors.
8. What does Aelfric say is revealed when Christ performs miracles through saints?
(b) True faith.
(c) Power of God.
9. In what year was Boniface born?
10. In "Greetings in Christ," what does the author of the section say are susceptible to the "wear and tear of centuries"?
(a) Christian thought.
11. What is the traditional kenning for a wife?
12. What is the subject and tone of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
(a) Strictly upbeat.
(b) Enormously varied.
(c) Commonly sad.
(d) Never emotional.
13. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
(a) St. Matthew.
(b) St. Edmund.
(c) St. Roslin.
(d) St. Peter.
14. Who is the first of the "Three Charms" against?
(a) A tree.
(b) A snake.
(c) A wen.
(d) A dog.
15. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Pope Gregory pen a letter to Candidus?
2. What does the first object in "Thirty-One Riddles" plunge through?
3. What was the first use of the runic alphabet?
4. In what year did Gregory send Augustine to Kent?
5. Who said "What use is the abundance of books if there are none to read and understand them?"
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)