|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what century was "An Estate Memorandum" written?
(a) 5th or 6th.
(b) 8th or 9th.
(c) 2nd or 3rd.
(d) 10th or 11th.
2. In what year did Pope Gregory pen a letter to Candidus?
3. What physical feature did Gregory state made the name of the "Angles" appropriate?
(a) Their hands.
(b) Their faces.
(c) Their hair.
(d) Their bowed heads.
4. During the conversation between the teacher and the fowler, what do readers find out the fowler "does" to birds "in many ways"?
(a) Damages them.
(b) Entrances them.
(c) Entices them.
(d) Fools them.
5. What is "elf-shot"?
6. What kingdom does the author of the introduction to "Greetings in Christ" say the "boys" came from?
(a) South Daneland.
7. In what year was Boniface born?
8. In the stanza beginning "I'm a strange creature," what does the strange creature state it satisfies?
9. Who was the godson of Aethelstan?
(b) Alan the Great.
10. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
(a) If she found him guilty of lechery.
(b) If she outlives him, and they have a child.
(c) If she outlives him.
(d) If they divorce, and they have a child.
11. In what year was the "Exeter Book" bequeathed to the Cathedral Library?
12. What was the first English secular biography?
(b) "Life of King Alfred."
(c) "Common Sense."
(d) "The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle."
13. Who said "What use is the abundance of books if there are none to read and understand them?"
(a) Alcuin of York.
14. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
(d) King Alfred.
15. How many poems are included in the canon of the "Exeter Book"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Alcuin of York leave England at the request of Charlemagne?
2. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
3. What does the first object in "Thirty-One Riddles" plunge through?
4. According to "The History of the English Church and People," how does Bede describe the complexions of the slaves seen by Gregory in the Roman marketplace?
5. What is the subject and tone of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)