|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first use of the runic alphabet?
(a) Education of slaves.
(b) Education of children.
2. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
(a) Recollections of seafareres.
(b) The turmoil of the times.
(c) Memories of times at their best.
(d) The normal grind of everyday life.
3. Where does the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." say riddles similar to the semi-metaphorical riddles of the "Exeter Book" occur?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Chaucer's texts.
(d) Writings of the Pearl Poet.
4. Who is the first of the "Three Charms" against?
(a) A wen.
(b) A dog.
(c) A snake.
(d) A tree.
5. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
(a) If she outlives him.
(b) If she outlives him, and they have a child.
(c) If they divorce, and they have a child.
(d) If she found him guilty of lechery.
6. How many poems are included in the canon of the "Exeter Book"?
7. Who, living between the years 955-1020, does the author of the introduction to Example and Exhortation state was the "most significant figure in this age of religious and educational reform"?
8. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
(a) He wanted to search.
(b) He traveled the world.
(c) He would vanquish.
(d) He fashioned the world.
9. What is the name of "one of the most popular philosophical books of the Middle Ages"? (According to the author of the introduction.)
(a) "Ancient Beliefs and Modern Philosophies."
(b) "Consolation of Philosophy."
(c) "Justifications of Philosophical Thought."
(d) "Intermediate Teachings of Higher Thought."
10. What was the name of the most powerful English king "prior to Alfred"?
11. What kingdom does the author of the introduction to "Greetings in Christ" say the "boys" came from?
(a) South Daneland.
12. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
13. What is "elf-shot"?
14. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
15. What does Aelfric say is revealed when Christ performs miracles through saints?
(b) Power of God.
(c) True faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
2. In what year was the "Exeter Book" bequeathed to the Cathedral Library?
3. Who "asked" the best known riddle of the Anglo-Saxon riddles?
4. What did the runic alphabet come to be used for later (after its first use)?
5. In what century was "An Estate Memorandum" written?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)