|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "elf-shot"?
2. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
(a) The turmoil of the times.
(b) The normal grind of everyday life.
(c) Memories of times at their best.
(d) Recollections of seafareres.
3. How many times a day does the shepard milk his sheep?
(a) 3 times.
(b) 2 times.
(c) Never- he doesn't own sheep.
4. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
5. What does Aelfric say is revealed when Christ performs miracles through saints?
(a) Power of God.
(d) True faith.
6. Who was the prior of the monastery at Dol Brittany in 924?
7. What sickness does "Bald's Leechbook" address in the opening line?
8. What kingdom does the author of the introduction to "Greetings in Christ" say the "boys" came from?
(d) South Daneland.
9. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
(a) King Alfred.
10. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
11. At dawn what is the first thing that the ploughman does in the morning?
(a) Milk the goats.
(b) Drive oxen to field.
(c) Start a fire.
(d) Feed the cattle.
12. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
(a) A ploughman.
(b) A hunter.
(c) A monk.
(d) A carpenter.
13. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
(a) He would vanquish.
(b) He wanted to search.
(c) He fashioned the world.
(d) He traveled the world.
14. Where was Boniface leading a mission when he was killed?
15. Who is the first of the "Three Charms" against?
(a) A snake.
(b) A wen.
(c) A dog.
(d) A tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book that the author claims to be the earliest and most substantial work of scientific prose?
2. Where, according to the excerpt from "The History of the English Church and People," had the slaves that Gregory saw hail from?
3. In what year was Boniface born?
4. The object in the second stanza of "Thirty-One Riddles" is what by nature?
5. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)