|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the conversation between the teacher and the fowler, what do readers find out the fowler "does" to birds "in many ways"?
(a) Damages them.
(b) Fools them.
(c) Entrances them.
(d) Entices them.
2. Where did the act of freeing a slave take place to "prevent subsequent violation"?
(a) In the town square.
(b) At the lord's home.
(c) In a court.
(d) At an alter.
3. Where does the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." say riddles similar to the semi-metaphorical riddles of the "Exeter Book" occur?
(a) Writings of the Pearl Poet.
(b) Chaucer's texts.
(c) The Bible.
4. At dawn what is the first thing that the ploughman does in the morning?
(a) Milk the goats.
(b) Feed the cattle.
(c) Drive oxen to field.
(d) Start a fire.
5. How many stress patterns does all Old English poetry contain?
6. What did the runic alphabet come to be used for later (after its first use)?
(b) Pagan theology.
(d) Christian theology.
7. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
8. What is the name of the woman who "begged men from Cwaespatric"?
9. Who was the king, whose will is the earliest surviving of Anglo-Saxon history, preoccupied with threat by?
10. In what year did Alcuin of York leave England at the request of Charlemagne?
11. Who, living between the years 955-1020, does the author of the introduction to Example and Exhortation state was the "most significant figure in this age of religious and educational reform"?
12. What is the subject and tone of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
(a) Enormously varied.
(b) Strictly upbeat.
(c) Never emotional.
(d) Commonly sad.
13. In what century did Old English become a "vehicle capable of expressing scientific thought"?
14. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
(a) St. Edmund.
(b) St. Peter.
(c) St. Matthew.
(d) St. Roslin.
15. Where, according to the excerpt from "The History of the English Church and People," had the slaves that Gregory saw hail from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "he wolde fandian" mean?
2. Who said "What use is the abundance of books if there are none to read and understand them?"
3. What does "eorpan motor" mean?
4. What position was Candidus set to take up in Gaul?
5. What was the name of the most powerful English king "prior to Alfred"?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)