|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
(a) Six "knowns."
(b) Four humors.
(c) Twelve charms.
(d) Nine decending levels.
2. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
(a) Memories of times at their best.
(b) Recollections of seafareres.
(c) The normal grind of everyday life.
(d) The turmoil of the times.
3. At dawn what is the first thing that the ploughman does in the morning?
(a) Drive oxen to field.
(b) Milk the goats.
(c) Feed the cattle.
(d) Start a fire.
4. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
5. In what year did Gregory send Augustine to Kent?
6. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
(d) King Alfred.
7. How many times a day does the shepard milk his sheep?
(a) Never- he doesn't own sheep.
(b) 2 times.
(d) 3 times.
8. Where does the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." say riddles similar to the semi-metaphorical riddles of the "Exeter Book" occur?
(a) Chaucer's texts.
(b) Writings of the Pearl Poet.
(d) The Bible.
9. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
10. What is the traditional kenning for a wife?
11. What object was given "store" as seen in "Beowulf" and named to a recipient in one king's will?
(d) Throne chair.
12. According to "The History of the English Church and People," how does Bede describe the complexions of the slaves seen by Gregory in the Roman marketplace?
13. Where, according to the excerpt from "The History of the English Church and People," had the slaves that Gregory saw hail from?
14. Where did the act of freeing a slave take place to "prevent subsequent violation"?
(a) At an alter.
(b) In a court.
(c) At the lord's home.
(d) In the town square.
15. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the first book that King Alfred translated into the vernacular?
2. What physical feature did Gregory state made the name of the "Angles" appropriate?
3. Who is the first of the "Three Charms" against?
4. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
5. In the stanza beginning "I'm a strange creature," what does the strange creature state it satisfies?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)