|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who raided Lindisfarne on June 8, 793?
(a) Pagan heathens.
(c) Celtic monks.
2. Who was the godson of Aethelstan?
(d) Alan the Great.
3. Whose power does the opening line of "For a Swarm of Bees" recognize?
4. What does the first object in "Thirty-One Riddles" plunge through?
5. Where, according to the excerpt from "The History of the English Church and People," had the slaves that Gregory saw hail from?
6. What does the "metrical irregularity" of the charms point to?
(a) A Celtic tradition.
(b) An oral tradition.
(c) A written tradition.
(d) A Norse tradition.
7. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
(a) If she found him guilty of lechery.
(b) If she outlives him, and they have a child.
(c) If they divorce, and they have a child.
(d) If she outlives him.
8. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
(b) More than 200.
(c) Less than 100.
9. As the author states in the introduction to "I Saw a Creature...," what do some riddles reflect?
(a) Memories of times at their best.
(b) The turmoil of the times.
(c) The normal grind of everyday life.
(d) Recollections of seafareres.
10. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
11. What is the subject and tone of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
(a) Never emotional.
(b) Enormously varied.
(c) Strictly upbeat.
(d) Commonly sad.
12. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
13. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
(a) St. Matthew.
(b) St. Edmund.
(c) St. Peter.
(d) St. Roslin.
14. Who said "What use is the abundance of books if there are none to read and understand them?"
(d) Alcuin of York.
15. What physical feature did Gregory state made the name of the "Angles" appropriate?
(a) Their hands.
(b) Their faces.
(c) Their hair.
(d) Their bowed heads.
Short Answer Questions
1. In King Alfred's preface to "St. Gregory's 'Pastoral Care,' who does he "bids greet"?
2. In what year was the "terrible winter" in "The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle"?
3. What was the first English secular biography?
4. Who was the leading astronomer during the period when Old English became a "vehicle capable of expressing scientific thought"?
5. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)