|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said "What use is the abundance of books if there are none to read and understand them?"
(b) Alcuin of York.
2. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
3. What sickness does "Bald's Leechbook" address in the opening line?
4. What is embedded in the hilt of the sword of Constantine the Great?
(a) A nail from the Cross.
(b) A parable from the Book of Mathew.
(c) A marking denoting the Annunciation.
(d) A Widow's mite.
5. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
(a) St. Matthew.
(b) St. Roslin.
(c) St. Edmund.
(d) St. Peter.
6. In late Anglo-Saxon England, what were women at liberty to accept or reject?
(a) Their children.
(b) Marriage suitors.
(c) Exile based upon family err.
(d) Financial proposals.
7. What is the name of the woman who "begged men from Cwaespatric"?
8. What does the moth devour in "Thirty-One Riddles"?
9. In the stanza that begins "I saw a creature," what sticks out behind the creature?
(a) His tail.
(b) His stomach.
(c) His foot.
(d) A row of spines.
10. How many poems are included in the canon of the "Exeter Book"?
11. What object was given "store" as seen in "Beowulf" and named to a recipient in one king's will?
(a) Throne chair.
12. In King Alfred's preface to "St. Gregory's 'Pastoral Care,' who does he "bids greet"?
(a) Bishop Waerferth.
13. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
(b) West Saxons.
(c) South Danes.
14. Who was the godson of Aethelstan?
(c) Alan the Great.
15. Who "asked" the best known riddle of the Anglo-Saxon riddles?
(a) The Centaur.
(b) The Sphinx.
(c) The Griffin.
(d) The Nemean Lion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
2. What does Aelfric say is revealed when Christ performs miracles through saints?
3. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
4. Where did the act of freeing a slave take place to "prevent subsequent violation"?
5. Who does St. Gregory thank for having teachers "among us now"?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)