|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the introduction of Example and Exhortation, what language did King Alfred learn to translate texts into the "vernacular" of?
2. Who was the godson of Aethelstan?
(b) Alan the Great.
3. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
(a) If they divorce, and they have a child.
(b) If she outlives him.
(c) If she found him guilty of lechery.
(d) If she outlives him, and they have a child.
4. The riddles are described as being both "witty and obscene," and they are given this name?
(c) Double entendres.
5. One of the riddles in the "Exeter Book" was used "to show the way in which the runic alphabet was a kind of"?
(a) Useless knowledge.
6. What is the traditional kenning for a wife?
7. What physical feature did Gregory state made the name of the "Angles" appropriate?
(a) Their faces.
(b) Their hair.
(c) Their bowed heads.
(d) Their hands.
8. What does the first object in "Thirty-One Riddles" plunge through?
9. Who, living between the years 955-1020, does the author of the introduction to Example and Exhortation state was the "most significant figure in this age of religious and educational reform"?
10. What does the moth devour in "Thirty-One Riddles"?
11. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
12. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
(c) King Alfred.
13. In "A Colloquy" what profession does the pupil have?
(a) A monk.
(b) A carpenter.
(c) A hunter.
(d) A ploughman.
14. What did the runic alphabet come to be used for later (after its first use)?
(b) Christian theology.
(c) Pagan theology.
15. Where does the introduction of "I Saw a Strange Creature..." say riddles similar to the semi-metaphorical riddles of the "Exeter Book" occur?
(a) Chaucer's texts.
(b) The Bible.
(d) Writings of the Pearl Poet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "elf-shot"?
2. What does Aelfric say is revealed when Christ performs miracles through saints?
3. How many poems are included in the canon of the "Exeter Book"?
4. Who was the prior of the monastery at Dol Brittany in 924?
5. In late Anglo-Saxon England, what were women at liberty to accept or reject?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)