|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first use of the runic alphabet?
(b) Education of children.
(c) Education of slaves.
2. In what century did Old English become a "vehicle capable of expressing scientific thought"?
3. How many stress patterns does all Old English poetry contain?
4. In "Greetings in Christ," what does the author of the section say are susceptible to the "wear and tear of centuries"?
(d) Christian thought.
5. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
(b) Less than 100.
(c) More than 200.
6. What is the alternate name that the introduction to "I Saw a Strange Creature..." gives to kennings?
7. What sickness does "Bald's Leechbook" address in the opening line?
8. What does the moth devour in "Thirty-One Riddles"?
9. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
10. At dawn what is the first thing that the ploughman does in the morning?
(a) Start a fire.
(b) Drive oxen to field.
(c) Milk the goats.
(d) Feed the cattle.
11. According to the introduction to "Greetings in Christ," who possessed "the sword of Constantine the Great"?
(c) Alan the Geat.
(d) St. Maurice.
12. What physical feature did Gregory state made the name of the "Angles" appropriate?
(a) Their bowed heads.
(b) Their hands.
(c) Their hair.
(d) Their faces.
13. The riddles are described as being both "witty and obscene," and they are given this name?
(d) Double entendres.
14. In the "Grant of Land at Crediton," the king of what area gave land to be used for a monastary?
(c) West Saxons.
(d) South Danes.
15. One of the riddles in the "Exeter Book" was used "to show the way in which the runic alphabet was a kind of"?
(a) Useless knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the stanza beginning "I'm a strange creature," what does the strange creature state it satisfies?
2. In late Anglo-Saxon England, what were women at liberty to accept or reject?
3. What is the traditional kenning for a wife?
4. What is the subject and tone of Anglo-Saxon riddles?
5. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)