|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the prior of the monastery at Dol Brittany in 924?
2. In what year was Boniface born?
3. The object in the second stanza of "Thirty-One Riddles" is what by nature?
4. The riddles are described as being both "witty and obscene," and they are given this name?
(a) Double entendres.
5. In what year was the "Exeter Book" bequeathed to the Cathedral Library?
6. How many stress patterns does all Old English poetry contain?
7. Who is named in the opening line of "A Grant of Land at Crediton"?
(d) King Alfred.
8. In "A Colloquy" what does the pupil say he prefer to ignorance?
(a) To be imprisoned.
(b) To be flogged.
(c) To be exiled.
(d) To be mute.
9. How many of Boniface's letters survive today (at the printing of the text)?
(a) Less than 100.
(d) More than 200.
10. According to the introduction to "Greetings in Christ," who possessed "the sword of Constantine the Great"?
(b) Alan the Geat.
(c) St. Maurice.
11. What object was given "store" as seen in "Beowulf" and named to a recipient in one king's will?
(c) Throne chair.
12. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
(a) Nine decending levels.
(b) Four humors.
(c) Twelve charms.
(d) Six "knowns."
13. Who is the first of the "Three Charms" against?
(a) A dog.
(b) A tree.
(c) A snake.
(d) A wen.
14. During the conversation between the teacher and the fowler, what do readers find out the fowler "does" to birds "in many ways"?
(a) Damages them.
(b) Entrances them.
(c) Fools them.
(d) Entices them.
15. In what year did Gregory send Augustine to Kent?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some believe the "Exeter Book" has been used as in the past?
2. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
3. Who was the godson of Aethelstan?
4. Under what circumstances could a wife obtain all of the husband's suit?
5. Where, according to the excerpt from "The History of the English Church and People," had the slaves that Gregory saw hail from?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)