|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hero in "The Finnesburh Fragment"?
2. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
(a) Written anthologies.
(b) They were not discovered until late in the 14th century and then written down.
(d) Word of mouth.
3. What does Beowulf tear off of Grendel?
(a) His hand.
(b) His arm.
(c) His tail.
(d) His leg.
4. Whose translation of "The Wanderer" is best known?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien's.
(b) Ezra Pound's.
5. Why, according to Wihtred's law number 4, will foreigners be forced to "depart from the land with their goods and their sins"?
(a) If they "fail to recognize the king's laws."
(b) If they "refuse to succumb to fate."
(c) If they do not "rugularize their marriage."
(d) If they fail the rights of passage."
6. Who translated Bede's "History of the English Church and People"?
7. Who is jealous of Beowulf?
8. Where does the author state that the emotional center of "Deor" lies (which lines)?
(a) The last eight.
(b) The first eight.
(c) The first four lines.
(d) The center stanza.
9. What adjective does the poet of "The Seafarer" use to describe the song that he sings of himself?
10. Wihtred was king over what people?
(b) South Dane.
11. What "paths" must the wanderer follow given "fate is inflexible"?
12. In "The Battle of Maldon," who "over-confidently allowed the Danes to cross the causeway"?
(b) King of Wessex.
(c) King Alfred.
13. What century was it when pagan Germanic tribesman "swarmed" into England?
14. In "The Wanderer," from whom does the wanderer plead for pity and mercy?
(b) The sea.
(c) His wife.
(d) His lord.
15. What does "The Seafarer" learn that ships are homes of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
2. What is a compressed narrative poem?
3. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
4. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
5. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)