|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
(a) "Single" and "Threefold".
(b) "Misson" and "Molten".
(c) "MIsendon" and "Candicet".
(d) "Thricen" and "Shrine".
2. What causes Beowulf's death?
(a) He falls from a cliff.
(b) He drowns in the ocean.
(c) Dragon fire.
(d) Dragon bite.
3. Who made the weapon with which Beowulf beheads Grendel's mother?
4. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
(a) A sword.
(b) A goblet.
(c) A banner.
(d) A necklace.
5. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
(b) Written anthologies.
(c) Word of mouth.
(d) They were not discovered until late in the 14th century and then written down.
6. In "Deor", what did Weland "well know about"?
7. In "The Battle of Maldon," who does Byrhtnoth order to dismount?
(a) Every warrior.
(b) His bard.
(c) The priest.
(d) His wife.
8. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
(b) "The Battle of Maldon."
(c) "The Finnesburh Fragment."
9. What does Hrothgar promise Beowulf for killing Grendel?
(a) A wife.
10. What poem is described by the author as "an antiquarian's delight"?
(a) The Ruin.
(c) The Wanderer.
11. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
12. During what century were the Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity?
13. What is the author of "The Wanderer" searching for in his elegy?
(a) A new ship.
(b) A new lord.
(c) A new love.
(d) A new wife.
14. In "The Wanderer," from whom does the wanderer plead for pity and mercy?
(a) His wife.
(b) His lord.
(d) The sea.
15. In a trial by ordeal, which rule speaks to the fine one would pay if found invalid and having broken the rules of the trial by ordeal?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is jealous of Beowulf?
2. Besides "The Wife's Lament," what is the only other Anglo-Saxon poem written by a woman?
3. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
4. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
5. How many men does Grendel murder just before his fight with Beowulf?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)