|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the author in the introduction to the Laws section say, "most of us" need to turn to in order to "establish the exact wording of a law"?
(a) A law writer.
(b) A solicitor.
(c) A priest.
(d) A barrister.
2. Who wrote "Letter to the English"?
3. In what book are the "six so-called Elegies" found?
(a) Cathedral Chronicles.
(b) Byron's Canon.
(c) Chronicles of Wyrd.
4. What is the name of the governing assemblies from the Anglo-Saxon period?
5. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
(a) In hope for land.
(b) In his sails.
(c) In his lord.
(d) In himself.
6. Who was "Letter to the English" meant to act as moral support for?
(a) Earl Thorkel.
(b) Duke Sententon.
(c) Prince Kent.
(d) King Alfred.
7. Where is Hrothgar's kingdom?
(a) East Saxon.
8. In "The Battle of Maldon," who does Byrhtnoth order to dismount?
(a) The priest.
(b) Every warrior.
(c) His wife.
(d) His bard.
9. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
(a) All men.
(b) All priests.
(c) Only the lords.
(d) Only the bards.
10. What is the oldest surviving poem written in Old English?
(c) The Dream of the Rood.
11. Who is jealous of Beowulf?
12. In what year was Bede born?
13. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Husband's Message."
(b) "The Seafarer."
(c) "The Wife's Lament."
(d) "The Wanderer."
14. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
15. In "Deor", what did Weland "well know about"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people witnessed the opening of Cuthbert's coffin at Durham Cathedral?
2. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
3. Why, according to Wihtred's law number 4, will foreigners be forced to "depart from the land with their goods and their sins"?
4. What is the date of Bede's death?
5. What does the word "wergild" mean?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)