|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many shillings will it cost someone if they were to "breach the Church's protection"?
(a) 50 shillings.
(b) 15 shillings.
(c) 75 shillings.
(d) 25 shilings.
2. What is the name of the person that "was a crucial member of a tribe or a society" and existed as "a living memory"?
(a) The scop.
(b) The knave.
(c) The jester.
(d) The clergy.
3. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
(a) In a barn.
(b) In an earth-cave.
(c) In a foreign castle.
(d) In a well.
4. According to the introduction to the Heroic Poems section, what do heroic poems link our Anglo-Saxon ancestors to?
(a) French origins.
(b) Geatland origins.
(c) European origins.
(d) Dutch origins.
5. What adjective does the poet of "The Seafarer" use to describe the song that he sings of himself?
6. What does Beowulf tear off of Grendel?
(a) His arm.
(b) His leg.
(c) His tail.
(d) His hand.
7. What is the oldest surviving poem written in Old English?
(c) The Dream of the Rood.
8. At what age (the boys' age) did Irish monks begin to train Anglo-Saxon boys as novices?
9. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
(a) In hope for land.
(b) In his sails.
(c) In his lord.
(d) In himself.
10. In "The Wanderer," from whom does the wanderer plead for pity and mercy?
(b) His wife.
(c) His lord.
(d) The sea.
11. In what year was Cuthbert's coffin opened in Durham Cathedral?
12. What is the name of the High Priest who "replied without hesitation in "King Edwin's Council"?
13. In "The Battle of Maldon," who "over-confidently allowed the Danes to cross the causeway"?
(a) King of Wessex.
(b) King Alfred.
14. In "The Husband's Message" how many times does the husband remind his wife of their oath of marriage?
(a) 2 times.
(b) 3 times.
(c) 10 times.
(d) 1 time.
15. In what year did Pope Gregory invite Augustine to convert the English to Christianity?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
2. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
3. How many men does Grendel murder just before his fight with Beowulf?
4. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
5. What is the name of the monastery spoken of in "Caedmon's Vision"?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)