|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Seafarer."
(b) "The Wife's Lament."
(c) "The Husband's Message."
(d) "The Wanderer."
2. In "The Battle of Maldon," who does Byrhtnoth order to dismount?
(a) His bard.
(b) His wife.
(c) The priest.
(d) Every warrior.
3. What causes Beowulf's death?
(a) Dragon bite.
(b) He falls from a cliff.
(c) He drowns in the ocean.
(d) Dragon fire.
4. Who is Grendel a descendant of?
5. Who does Hrothgar know from Beowulf's family?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandfather.
6. In "The Battle of Maldon," who "over-confidently allowed the Danes to cross the causeway"?
(c) King Alfred.
(d) King of Wessex.
7. What is the name of the person that "was a crucial member of a tribe or a society" and existed as "a living memory"?
(a) The knave.
(b) The clergy.
(c) The jester.
(d) The scop.
8. How many men does Grendel murder on his first attack on the mead-hall?
9. Who translated Bede's "History of the English Church and People"?
10. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
(a) In his sails.
(b) In his lord.
(c) In hope for land.
(d) In himself.
11. When does the author believe that "Waldere" was written?
(a) 12th century.
(b) 5th century.
(c) 8th century.
(d) 10th century.
12. How many lines is "The Battle of Maldon" missing at the beginning?
13. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
(a) In an earth-cave.
(b) In a foreign castle.
(c) In a well.
(d) In a barn.
14. What does the word "wergild" mean?
(a) The succession of kinship.
(b) A families land.
(c) The naming of a bard.
(d) A man's value.
15. Who does the author of "The Battle of Brunanburh" state is a "man of discretion"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date of Bede's death?
2. During what century were the Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity?
3. What is the author of "The Wanderer" searching for in his elegy?
4. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
5. According to "The Wife's Lament," what "goes side by side with those who suffer longing for a loved one"?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)