Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hero in "The Finnesburh Fragment"?
2. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
(a) A sword.
(b) A goblet.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A banner.
3. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
(a) The Church.
(b) The Bards.
4. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
(a) Title them.
(b) Follow the "code".
(c) Pay hommage to their past.
(d) Honor God.
5. In "The Wanderer," from whom does the wanderer plead for pity and mercy?
(a) His lord.
(c) The sea.
(d) His wife.
6. Who is Grendel a descendant of?
7. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
(d) Hell's Hall.
8. What does Hrothgar promise Beowulf for killing Grendel?
(a) A wife.
9. Who translated Bede's "History of the English Church and People"?
10. What causes Beowulf's death?
(a) Dragon fire.
(b) He falls from a cliff.
(c) Dragon bite.
(d) He drowns in the ocean.
11. What poem is described by the author as "an antiquarian's delight"?
(a) The Ruin.
(c) The Wanderer.
12. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
(a) "Single" and "Threefold".
(b) "Misson" and "Molten".
(c) "MIsendon" and "Candicet".
(d) "Thricen" and "Shrine".
13. What is the author of "The Wanderer" searching for in his elegy?
(a) A new wife.
(b) A new ship.
(c) A new lord.
(d) A new love.
14. What century was it when pagan Germanic tribesman "swarmed" into England?
15. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
(a) In a barn.
(b) In a well.
(c) In an earth-cave.
(d) In a foreign castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grendel unable to approach in Heorot?
2. In "The Battle of Maldon," who "over-confidently allowed the Danes to cross the causeway"?
3. In what year was Cuthbert's coffin opened in Durham Cathedral?
4. What is the name of the island that Cuthbert died on?
5. In how many "key relationships" did the heart of the Anglo-Saxon society lay?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)