|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beowulf tear off of Grendel?
(a) His arm.
(b) His hand.
(c) His tail.
(d) His leg.
2. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
3. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
(a) They were not discovered until late in the 14th century and then written down.
(b) Word of mouth.
(d) Written anthologies.
4. What was the name of the man who witnessed Bede's death?
5. What poem is described by the author as "an antiquarian's delight"?
(b) The Wanderer.
(d) The Ruin.
6. What does Hrothgar promise Beowulf for killing Grendel?
(a) A wife.
7. At what age (the boys' age) did Irish monks begin to train Anglo-Saxon boys as novices?
8. What is the name of the man that Beowulf challenges to a swimming race?
9. In "The Battle of Maldon," who does Byrhtnoth order to dismount?
(a) His bard.
(b) Every warrior.
(c) The priest.
(d) His wife.
10. In "Cuthbert's Death and Disinterment," what type of home did Cuthbert seek out?
(a) Heavenly home.
(b) Forbidden home.
(c) Godly home.
(d) Island home.
11. What does the Introduction to the Law section say was gagged upon when fed to Ecclesiastics if they were found guilty?
(a) Bread and cheese.
(b) Consecrated wine.
(c) Saturated wheat.
(d) Mashed grains.
12. How many shillings will it cost someone if they were to "breach the Church's protection"?
(a) 15 shillings.
(b) 50 shillings.
(c) 75 shillings.
(d) 25 shilings.
13. What is the name of the monastery spoken of in "Caedmon's Vision"?
14. How many lines is "The Battle of Maldon" missing at the beginning?
15. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
(a) All priests.
(b) Only the bards.
(c) All men.
(d) Only the lords.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
2. How many men does Grendel murder on his first attack on the mead-hall?
3. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
4. Other than paying six shillings to his lord for riding "on his own business on that day," what can a servant choose as his punishment?
5. Why, according to Wihtred's law number 4, will foreigners be forced to "depart from the land with their goods and their sins"?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)