|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
2. What does Beowulf use to fight Grendel?
(a) A chain.
(b) A sword.
(c) A dagger.
(d) Nothing--no weapon.
3. Who does the author in the introduction to the Laws section say, "most of us" need to turn to in order to "establish the exact wording of a law"?
(a) A barrister.
(b) A solicitor.
(c) A priest.
(d) A law writer.
4. What is the name of the monastery spoken of in "Caedmon's Vision"?
5. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
(a) "Misson" and "Molten".
(b) "Thricen" and "Shrine".
(c) "MIsendon" and "Candicet".
(d) "Single" and "Threefold".
6. In what book are the "six so-called Elegies" found?
(a) Chronicles of Wyrd.
(b) Byron's Canon.
(d) Cathedral Chronicles.
7. According to Byrhthelm in "The Battle of Maldon," who alone can say who would control the battle field?
(a) He, himself.
(b) The queen.
(c) The peasantry.
8. What causes Beowulf's death?
(a) Dragon fire.
(b) Dragon bite.
(c) He falls from a cliff.
(d) He drowns in the ocean.
9. How many shillings will it cost someone if they were to "breach the Church's protection"?
(a) 75 shillings.
(b) 25 shilings.
(c) 15 shillings.
(d) 50 shillings.
10. What does "The Seafarer" learn that ships are homes of?
11. In "Germania," what is stated as the reason a chief fights?
(a) For victory.
(b) For his father.
(c) For family.
(d) For his king.
12. What was the name of the man who witnessed Bede's death?
13. At what age (the boys' age) did Irish monks begin to train Anglo-Saxon boys as novices?
14. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
(a) In hope for land.
(b) In his lord.
(c) In himself.
(d) In his sails.
15. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
(a) 3 from "each side".
(b) 1 from "each side".
(c) 4 from "each side".
(d) 2 from "each side".
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Finnesburh Fragment," what does the first line say is "not burning"?
2. In what year was Bede born?
3. What does Beowulf tear off of Grendel?
4. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
5. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)