|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
2. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
(a) Only the bards.
(b) All priests.
(c) All men.
(d) Only the lords.
3. Who wrote "Letter to the English"?
4. What does the Introduction to the Law section say was gagged upon when fed to Ecclesiastics if they were found guilty?
(a) Saturated wheat.
(b) Mashed grains.
(c) Bread and cheese.
(d) Consecrated wine.
5. In what year did Pope Gregory invite Augustine to convert the English to Christianity?
6. In how many "key relationships" did the heart of the Anglo-Saxon society lay?
7. According to the author of the introduction to The Elegies, what do many Anglo-Saxon poems fail to have a "sufficient frame" of?
8. What is the date of Bede's death?
(a) January 4, 704.
(b) May 25, 735.
(c) October 28, 739.
(d) December 25, 631.
9. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
10. Wihtred was king over what people?
(b) South Dane.
11. What is the author of "The Wanderer" searching for in his elegy?
(a) A new ship.
(b) A new wife.
(c) A new love.
(d) A new lord.
12. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
(a) Word of mouth.
(b) Written anthologies.
(c) They were not discovered until late in the 14th century and then written down.
13. In what year were Wihtred's laws issued?
14. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
(a) In his lord.
(b) In hope for land.
(c) In his sails.
(d) In himself.
15. Who made the weapon with which Beowulf beheads Grendel's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
2. What does "The Seafarer" learn that ships are homes of?
3. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
4. In "The Husband's Message" how many times does the husband remind his wife of their oath of marriage?
5. Who translated Bede's "History of the English Church and People"?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)