|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the author state that the emotional center of "Deor" lies (which lines)?
(a) The center stanza.
(b) The last eight.
(c) The first eight.
(d) The first four lines.
2. What is the name of the monastery spoken of in "Caedmon's Vision"?
3. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
(a) "MIsendon" and "Candicet".
(b) "Single" and "Threefold".
(c) "Thricen" and "Shrine".
(d) "Misson" and "Molten".
4. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Wanderer."
(b) "The Wife's Lament."
(c) "The Husband's Message."
(d) "The Seafarer."
5. What adjective does the poet of "The Seafarer" use to describe the song that he sings of himself?
6. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
7. According to "The Wife's Lament," what "goes side by side with those who suffer longing for a loved one"?
8. How many men does Grendel murder just before his fight with Beowulf?
9. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
(a) 80 sceattas.
(b) 100 sceattas.
(c) 25 sceattas.
(d) 50 sceattas.
10. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
(c) Hell's Hall.
11. Whose translation of "The Wanderer" is best known?
(c) Ezra Pound's.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien's.
12. What is the name of the governing assemblies from the Anglo-Saxon period?
13. Besides "The Wife's Lament," what is the only other Anglo-Saxon poem written by a woman?
(c) The Marriage-Oath.
(d) The Promise
14. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
(a) In his sails.
(b) In hope for land.
(c) In himself.
(d) In his lord.
15. Where is Beowulf from?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
2. What poem is described by the author as "an antiquarian's delight"?
3. Who does the author in the introduction to the Laws section say, "most of us" need to turn to in order to "establish the exact wording of a law"?
4. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
5. In "Germania," what is stated as the reason a chief fights?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)