|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
2. What does the word "wergild" mean?
(a) A man's value.
(b) The naming of a bard.
(c) The succession of kinship.
(d) A families land.
3. What is the date of Bede's death?
(a) May 25, 735.
(b) October 28, 739.
(c) December 25, 631.
(d) January 4, 704.
4. In "The Husband's Message" how many times does the husband remind his wife of their oath of marriage?
(a) 10 times.
(b) 2 times.
(c) 1 time.
(d) 3 times.
5. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
(a) 2 from "each side".
(b) 3 from "each side".
(c) 1 from "each side".
(d) 4 from "each side".
6. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Seafarer."
(b) "The Wife's Lament."
(c) "The Wanderer."
(d) "The Husband's Message."
7. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
(c) The Church.
(d) The Bards.
8. According to the introduction to the Heroic Poems section, what do heroic poems link our Anglo-Saxon ancestors to?
(a) European origins.
(b) French origins.
(c) Geatland origins.
(d) Dutch origins.
9. What adjective does the poet of "The Seafarer" use to describe the song that he sings of himself?
10. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
(a) In his lord.
(b) In hope for land.
(c) In his sails.
(d) In himself.
11. Who was the patron saint of Northumbria?
12. According to "The Wife's Lament," what "goes side by side with those who suffer longing for a loved one"?
13. What is the name of the hero in "The Finnesburh Fragment"?
14. What "paths" must the wanderer follow given "fate is inflexible"?
15. Who is jealous of Beowulf?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the oldest surviving poem written in Old English?
2. In "The Finnesburh Fragment," what does the first line say is "not burning"?
3. Who does Hrothgar know from Beowulf's family?
4. What is the name of the monastery spoken of in "Caedmon's Vision"?
5. In "Deor", what did Weland "well know about"?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)