|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date of Bede's death?
(a) January 4, 704.
(b) May 25, 735.
(c) December 25, 631.
(d) October 28, 739.
2. In how many "key relationships" did the heart of the Anglo-Saxon society lay?
3. Wihtred was king over what people?
(a) South Dane.
4. In what book are the "six so-called Elegies" found?
(a) Chronicles of Wyrd.
(b) Byron's Canon.
(c) Cathedral Chronicles.
5. What causes Beowulf's death?
(a) Dragon bite.
(b) He drowns in the ocean.
(c) He falls from a cliff.
(d) Dragon fire.
6. What does the word "wergild" mean?
(a) A man's value.
(b) A families land.
(c) The naming of a bard.
(d) The succession of kinship.
7. In "Germania," what is stated as the reason a chief fights?
(a) For victory.
(b) For family.
(c) For his king.
(d) For his father.
8. What was the name of the man who witnessed Bede's death?
9. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
(c) "The Battle of Maldon."
(d) "The Finnesburh Fragment."
10. Where does the author state that the emotional center of "Deor" lies (which lines)?
(a) The center stanza.
(b) The first four lines.
(c) The last eight.
(d) The first eight.
11. On Christmas Day under the rule of Augustine ten thousand people were baptized through what method?
(a) Complete immersion.
(b) Baptism of repentance.
(c) Baptism by fire.
12. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
13. Why, according to Wihtred's law number 4, will foreigners be forced to "depart from the land with their goods and their sins"?
(a) If they "refuse to succumb to fate."
(b) If they fail the rights of passage."
(c) If they do not "rugularize their marriage."
(d) If they "fail to recognize the king's laws."
14. Who does Hrothgar know from Beowulf's family?
(a) His mother.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His father.
15. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
(a) All men.
(b) Only the lords.
(c) Only the bards.
(d) All priests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
2. How many lines is "The Battle of Maldon" missing at the beginning?
3. What does Beowulf use to fight Grendel?
4. Why does the author say that Alfred failed to put some laws into writing?
5. During what century did the first Anglo-Saxon settlers migrate to England?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)