|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people witnessed the opening of Cuthbert's coffin at Durham Cathedral?
2. What is Grendel unable to approach in Heorot?
(a) The banner.
(b) The queen.
(c) The throne.
3. How many shillings will it cost someone if they were to "breach the Church's protection"?
(a) 75 shillings.
(b) 15 shillings.
(c) 50 shillings.
(d) 25 shilings.
4. What is the name of the island that Cuthbert died on?
(b) Great Farne.
(c) Geatland Isle.
5. In "The Ruin," what does the author name as "wondrous" and "wrecked by fate"?
(a) An affair.
(b) A stone-wall.
(c) A whale-path.
(d) A love lost.
6. What is the name of the monastery spoken of in "Caedmon's Vision"?
7. What is the name of the hero in "The Finnesburh Fragment"?
8. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Seafarer."
(b) "The Wanderer."
(c) "The Wife's Lament."
(d) "The Husband's Message."
9. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
(a) Hell's Hall.
10. Who does the author of "The Battle of Brunanburh" state is a "man of discretion"?
11. Who was the patron saint of Northumbria?
12. Who translated Bede's "History of the English Church and People"?
13. What century was it when pagan Germanic tribesman "swarmed" into England?
14. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
(b) "The Battle of Maldon."
(c) "The Finnesburh Fragment."
15. Other than paying six shillings to his lord for riding "on his own business on that day," what can a servant choose as his punishment?
Short Answer Questions
1. Wihtred was king over what people?
2. In what book are the "six so-called Elegies" found?
3. Why, according to Wihtred's law number 4, will foreigners be forced to "depart from the land with their goods and their sins"?
4. In what year was Bede born?
5. According to Byrhthelm in "The Battle of Maldon," who alone can say who would control the battle field?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)