|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the oldest surviving poem written in Old English?
(b) The Dream of the Rood.
2. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
(a) "Misson" and "Molten".
(b) "MIsendon" and "Candicet".
(c) "Thricen" and "Shrine".
(d) "Single" and "Threefold".
3. Whose translation of "The Wanderer" is best known?
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien's.
(c) Ezra Pound's.
4. Who made the weapon with which Beowulf beheads Grendel's mother?
5. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
(a) 25 sceattas.
(b) 80 sceattas.
(c) 50 sceattas.
(d) 100 sceattas.
6. In a trial by ordeal, which rule speaks to the fine one would pay if found invalid and having broken the rules of the trial by ordeal?
7. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
(a) In his lord.
(b) In his sails.
(c) In himself.
(d) In hope for land.
8. Why, according to Wihtred's law number 4, will foreigners be forced to "depart from the land with their goods and their sins"?
(a) If they do not "rugularize their marriage."
(b) If they "refuse to succumb to fate."
(c) If they fail the rights of passage."
(d) If they "fail to recognize the king's laws."
9. Who was the patron saint of Northumbria?
10. According to the author of the introduction to The Elegies, what do many Anglo-Saxon poems fail to have a "sufficient frame" of?
11. In "The Finnesburh Fragment," what does the first line say is "not burning"?
(a) The pits of Hell.
(b) The sky.
(c) The spires.
(d) The gables.
12. In "The Husband's Message" how many times does the husband remind his wife of their oath of marriage?
(a) 10 times.
(b) 2 times.
(c) 1 time.
(d) 3 times.
13. In "The Battle of Maldon," who does Byrhtnoth order to dismount?
(a) His bard.
(b) Every warrior.
(c) The priest.
(d) His wife.
14. What is the name of the island that Cuthbert died on?
(a) Great Farne.
(d) Geatland Isle.
15. What is Grendel unable to approach in Heorot?
(a) The queen.
(b) The banner.
(c) The throne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the monastery spoken of in "Caedmon's Vision"?
2. What is the author of "The Wanderer" searching for in his elegy?
3. During what century did the first Anglo-Saxon settlers migrate to England?
4. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
5. When does the author believe that "Waldere" was written?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)