|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Hrothgar's kingdom?
(a) East Saxon.
2. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
3. Where is Beowulf from?
4. Wihtred was king over what people?
(d) South Dane.
5. What is the name of the hero in "The Finnesburh Fragment"?
6. Other than paying six shillings to his lord for riding "on his own business on that day," what can a servant choose as his punishment?
7. Where does the author state that the emotional center of "Deor" lies (which lines)?
(a) The last eight.
(b) The first four lines.
(c) The first eight.
(d) The center stanza.
8. Who is Grendel a descendant of?
9. What is the name of the monastery spoken of in "Caedmon's Vision"?
10. In what year did Pope Gregory invite Augustine to convert the English to Christianity?
11. Who does Hrothgar know from Beowulf's family?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandfather.
12. In what book are the "six so-called Elegies" found?
(a) Cathedral Chronicles.
(b) Byron's Canon.
(c) Chronicles of Wyrd.
13. In "The Finnesburh Fragment," what does the first line say is "not burning"?
(a) The spires.
(b) The pits of Hell.
(c) The gables.
(d) The sky.
14. What poem is described by the author as "an antiquarian's delight"?
(a) The Ruin.
(c) The Wanderer.
15. What is the date of Bede's death?
(a) December 25, 631.
(b) October 28, 739.
(c) January 4, 704.
(d) May 25, 735.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beowulf use to fight Grendel?
2. What does Beowulf tear off of Grendel?
3. What century was it when pagan Germanic tribesman "swarmed" into England?
4. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
5. What is the name of the man that Beowulf challenges to a swimming race?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)