|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
2. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
(a) 3 from "each side".
(b) 4 from "each side".
(c) 2 from "each side".
(d) 1 from "each side".
3. What is the oldest surviving poem written in Old English?
(c) The Dream of the Rood.
4. During what century did the first Anglo-Saxon settlers migrate to England?
5. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
6. Whose translation of "The Wanderer" is best known?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien's.
(c) Ezra Pound's.
7. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
(a) Word of mouth.
(b) Written anthologies.
(c) They were not discovered until late in the 14th century and then written down.
8. What "paths" must the wanderer follow given "fate is inflexible"?
9. How many people witnessed the opening of Cuthbert's coffin at Durham Cathedral?
10. In what year was Cuthbert's coffin opened in Durham Cathedral?
11. In "Cuthbert's Death and Disinterment," what type of home did Cuthbert seek out?
(a) Forbidden home.
(b) Godly home.
(c) Island home.
(d) Heavenly home.
12. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
(a) Follow the "code".
(b) Honor God.
(c) Pay hommage to their past.
(d) Title them.
13. Who does Hrothgar know from Beowulf's family?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
14. According to Byrhthelm in "The Battle of Maldon," who alone can say who would control the battle field?
(a) The queen.
(b) The peasantry.
(d) He, himself.
15. Who was the patron saint of Northumbria?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Pope Gregory invite Augustine to convert the English to Christianity?
2. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
3. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
4. What does Beowulf use to fight Grendel?
5. In "Deor", what did Weland "well know about"?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)