|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
2. In "The Husband's Message" how many times does the husband remind his wife of their oath of marriage?
(a) 1 time.
(b) 2 times.
(c) 10 times.
(d) 3 times.
3. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
4. Who was the patron saint of Northumbria?
5. In a trial by ordeal, which rule speaks to the fine one would pay if found invalid and having broken the rules of the trial by ordeal?
6. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
(a) Pay hommage to their past.
(b) Title them.
(c) Follow the "code".
(d) Honor God.
7. What does "The Seafarer" learn that ships are homes of?
8. What does Hrothgar promise Beowulf for killing Grendel?
(a) A wife.
9. Where does the author state that the emotional center of "Deor" lies (which lines)?
(a) The first four lines.
(b) The first eight.
(c) The last eight.
(d) The center stanza.
10. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
(a) Word of mouth.
(c) Written anthologies.
(d) They were not discovered until late in the 14th century and then written down.
11. Why, according to Wihtred's law number 4, will foreigners be forced to "depart from the land with their goods and their sins"?
(a) If they fail the rights of passage."
(b) If they do not "rugularize their marriage."
(c) If they "refuse to succumb to fate."
(d) If they "fail to recognize the king's laws."
12. What "paths" must the wanderer follow given "fate is inflexible"?
13. Who does Hrothgar know from Beowulf's family?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His mother.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His father.
14. What does Beowulf use to fight Grendel?
(a) Nothing--no weapon.
(b) A sword.
(c) A dagger.
(d) A chain.
15. In "Germania," what is stated as the reason a chief fights?
(a) For his father.
(b) For his king.
(c) For family.
(d) For victory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hrothgar's kingdom?
2. What is the name of the governing assemblies from the Anglo-Saxon period?
3. On Christmas Day under the rule of Augustine ten thousand people were baptized through what method?
4. What does the Introduction to the Law section say was gagged upon when fed to Ecclesiastics if they were found guilty?
5. What is Grendel unable to approach in Heorot?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)