|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man that Beowulf challenges to a swimming race?
2. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
3. Who does the author in the introduction to the Laws section say, "most of us" need to turn to in order to "establish the exact wording of a law"?
(a) A barrister.
(b) A solicitor.
(c) A law writer.
(d) A priest.
4. According to Byrhthelm in "The Battle of Maldon," who alone can say who would control the battle field?
(a) The queen.
(b) The peasantry.
(d) He, himself.
5. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
(a) 2 from "each side".
(b) 4 from "each side".
(c) 3 from "each side".
(d) 1 from "each side".
6. Who does the author of "The Battle of Brunanburh" state is a "man of discretion"?
7. In what year was Bede born?
8. Who wrote "Letter to the English"?
9. What is the name of the monastery spoken of in "Caedmon's Vision"?
10. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
(a) "The Battle of Maldon."
(d) "The Finnesburh Fragment."
11. What does Beowulf use to fight Grendel?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A chain.
(c) Nothing--no weapon.
(d) A sword.
12. In "The Wanderer," from whom does the wanderer plead for pity and mercy?
(b) His lord.
(c) The sea.
(d) His wife.
13. In "The Finnesburh Fragment," what does the first line say is "not burning"?
(a) The gables.
(b) The spires.
(c) The pits of Hell.
(d) The sky.
14. Who is jealous of Beowulf?
15. What adjective does the poet of "The Seafarer" use to describe the song that he sings of himself?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival signaled the Golden Age of Northumbria?
2. What causes Beowulf's death?
3. In what year were Wihtred's laws issued?
4. In "The Ruin," what does the author name as "wondrous" and "wrecked by fate"?
5. Why does the author say that Alfred failed to put some laws into writing?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)