|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the person that "was a crucial member of a tribe or a society" and existed as "a living memory"?
(a) The scop.
(b) The jester.
(c) The knave.
(d) The clergy.
2. According to the author of the introduction to The Elegies, what do many Anglo-Saxon poems fail to have a "sufficient frame" of?
3. Other than paying six shillings to his lord for riding "on his own business on that day," what can a servant choose as his punishment?
4. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
(a) In a well.
(b) In a foreign castle.
(c) In an earth-cave.
(d) In a barn.
5. What was the name of the man who witnessed Bede's death?
6. What is the name of the man that Beowulf challenges to a swimming race?
7. What "paths" must the wanderer follow given "fate is inflexible"?
8. In "Deor", what did Weland "well know about"?
9. According to the introduction to the Heroic Poems section, what do heroic poems link our Anglo-Saxon ancestors to?
(a) Geatland origins.
(b) European origins.
(c) French origins.
(d) Dutch origins.
10. Who does the author of "The Battle of Brunanburh" state is a "man of discretion"?
11. What is the name of the island that Cuthbert died on?
(a) Geatland Isle.
(c) Great Farne.
12. In "Germania," what is stated as the reason a chief fights?
(a) For victory.
(b) For his father.
(c) For family.
(d) For his king.
13. At what age (the boys' age) did Irish monks begin to train Anglo-Saxon boys as novices?
14. According to Byrhthelm in "The Battle of Maldon," who alone can say who would control the battle field?
(a) He, himself.
(b) The peasantry.
(c) The queen.
15. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
(a) 1 from "each side".
(b) 4 from "each side".
(c) 2 from "each side".
(d) 3 from "each side".
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Beowulf from?
2. What is the date of Bede's death?
3. In "The Battle of Maldon," who does Byrhtnoth order to dismount?
4. According to "The Wife's Lament," what "goes side by side with those who suffer longing for a loved one"?
5. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)