|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the High Priest who "replied without hesitation in "King Edwin's Council"?
2. In "Germania," what is stated as the reason a chief fights?
(a) For family.
(b) For his king.
(c) For his father.
(d) For victory.
3. Who made the weapon with which Beowulf beheads Grendel's mother?
4. Who is the first century Roman historian that the author claims is the best source for "information about Germanic tribes"?
5. What does Hrothgar promise Beowulf for killing Grendel?
(d) A wife.
6. How many shillings will it cost someone if they were to "breach the Church's protection"?
(a) 50 shillings.
(b) 75 shillings.
(c) 25 shilings.
(d) 15 shillings.
7. Where is Hrothgar's kingdom?
(c) East Saxon.
8. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
(a) In a well.
(b) In a foreign castle.
(c) In an earth-cave.
(d) In a barn.
9. Who wrote "Letter to the English"?
10. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
(a) 100 sceattas.
(b) 25 sceattas.
(c) 50 sceattas.
(d) 80 sceattas.
11. Whose arrival signaled the Golden Age of Northumbria?
(d) Celtic monks.
12. What does the word "wergild" mean?
(a) A man's value.
(b) The succession of kinship.
(c) A families land.
(d) The naming of a bard.
13. How many people witnessed the opening of Cuthbert's coffin at Durham Cathedral?
14. What is the oldest surviving poem written in Old English?
(b) The Dream of the Rood.
15. What is the name of the person that "was a crucial member of a tribe or a society" and existed as "a living memory"?
(a) The clergy.
(b) The scop.
(c) The jester.
(d) The knave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a compressed narrative poem?
2. In "The Wanderer," from whom does the wanderer plead for pity and mercy?
3. What does the author in the introduction to the Heroic Poems section state is the "finest expression of the code" (the Germanic Heroic code)?
4. In "The Ruin," what does the author name as "wondrous" and "wrecked by fate"?
5. In what year were Wihtred's laws issued?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)