|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who made the weapon with which Beowulf beheads Grendel's mother?
2. What is Grendel unable to approach in Heorot?
(b) The banner.
(c) The throne.
(d) The queen.
3. According to "The Wife's Lament," what "goes side by side with those who suffer longing for a loved one"?
4. According to The Laws of Wihtred, who is free from taxation?
(a) The Church.
(b) The Bards.
5. What "paths" must the wanderer follow given "fate is inflexible"?
6. What is the author of "The Wanderer" searching for in his elegy?
(a) A new lord.
(b) A new ship.
(c) A new wife.
(d) A new love.
7. Where is Beowulf from?
8. According to the introduction to the Heroic Poems section, what do heroic poems link our Anglo-Saxon ancestors to?
(a) Geatland origins.
(b) Dutch origins.
(c) French origins.
(d) European origins.
9. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
(a) In a well.
(b) In an earth-cave.
(c) In a foreign castle.
(d) In a barn.
10. Whose translation of "The Wanderer" is best known?
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien's.
(d) Ezra Pound's.
11. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
12. Who helped Beowulf fight the dragon?
13. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
(a) Only the lords.
(b) Only the bards.
(c) All priests.
(d) All men.
14. What poem is described by the author as "an antiquarian's delight"?
(a) The Ruin.
(c) The Wanderer.
15. What does the word "wergild" mean?
(a) The naming of a bard.
(b) A families land.
(c) A man's value.
(d) The succession of kinship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
2. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
3. Who does Hrothgar know from Beowulf's family?
4. Who does the author in the introduction to the Laws section say, "most of us" need to turn to in order to "establish the exact wording of a law"?
5. During what century were the Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)