|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hrothgar know from Beowulf's family?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His uncle.
2. How many lines is "The Battle of Maldon" missing at the beginning?
3. What is the name of the island that Cuthbert died on?
(a) Geatland Isle.
(d) Great Farne.
4. Who is Grendel a descendant of?
5. When does the author believe that "Waldere" was written?
(a) 5th century.
(b) 8th century.
(c) 12th century.
(d) 10th century.
6. At what age (the boys' age) did Irish monks begin to train Anglo-Saxon boys as novices?
7. What does the Introduction to the Law section say was gagged upon when fed to Ecclesiastics if they were found guilty?
(a) Bread and cheese.
(b) Mashed grains.
(c) Consecrated wine.
(d) Saturated wheat.
8. Other than paying six shillings to his lord for riding "on his own business on that day," what can a servant choose as his punishment?
9. Who translated Bede's "History of the English Church and People"?
10. Wihtred was king over what people?
(a) South Dane.
11. How many men does Grendel murder just before his fight with Beowulf?
12. What does Beowulf tear off of Grendel?
(a) His arm.
(b) His leg.
(c) His hand.
(d) His tail.
13. In "The Husband's Message" how many times does the husband remind his wife of their oath of marriage?
(a) 1 time.
(b) 2 times.
(c) 3 times.
(d) 10 times.
14. How many men does Grendel murder on his first attack on the mead-hall?
15. During what century did the first Anglo-Saxon settlers migrate to England?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author say that Alfred failed to put some laws into writing?
2. What is the name of Hrothgar's mead-hall?
3. According to number 19, in "Letter to the People of England," how many men are to go to church and "make supplication"?
4. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
5. According to Wihtred's law 9, how much money is a servant to pay if he is found guilty of working between Saturday evening and Sunday evening?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)