|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through I Saw a Strange Creature . . ..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The riddles are described as being both "witty and obscene," and they are given this name?
(a) Double entendres.
2. Where does the author state that the emotional center of "Deor" lies (which lines)?
(a) The first four lines.
(b) The center stanza.
(c) The last eight.
(d) The first eight.
3. What is Grendel unable to approach in Heorot?
(a) The queen.
(b) The banner.
(c) The throne.
4. What did the runic alphabet come to be used for later (after its first use)?
(c) Pagan theology.
(d) Christian theology.
5. What does the word "wergild" mean?
(a) The naming of a bard.
(b) The succession of kinship.
(c) A families land.
(d) A man's value.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men, in a trial by ordeal, are required to test the heat of the water?
2. In "Greetings in Christ," what does the author of the section say are susceptible to the "wear and tear of centuries"?
3. What "paths" must the wanderer follow given "fate is inflexible"?
4. Who "asked" the best known riddle of the Anglo-Saxon riddles?
5. What does Hrothgar promise Beowulf for killing Grendel?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)