|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epic: Beowulf.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the author in the introduction to the Laws section say, "most of us" need to turn to in order to "establish the exact wording of a law"?
(a) A law writer.
(b) A priest.
(c) A barrister.
(d) A solicitor.
2. In "The Wife's Lament," where is the wife forced to live?
(a) In a foreign castle.
(b) In a well.
(c) In a barn.
(d) In an earth-cave.
3. What adjective does the poet of "The Seafarer" use to describe the song that he sings of himself?
4. How many shillings will it cost someone if they were to "breach the Church's protection"?
(a) 15 shillings.
(b) 50 shillings.
(c) 25 shilings.
(d) 75 shillings.
5. What is a compressed narrative poem?
(a) A lay.
(b) A prose.
(c) A ceasura.
(d) A kenning.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author of the introduction to The Elegies, what do many Anglo-Saxon poems fail to have a "sufficient frame" of?
2. During what century did the first Anglo-Saxon settlers migrate to England?
3. In "Deor", what did Weland "well know about"?
4. How many men does Grendel murder just before his fight with Beowulf?
5. Why does the author say that Alfred failed to put some laws into writing?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)