|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Charms and Remedies, and Allegory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the introduction to "Greetings in Christ," who possessed "the sword of Constantine the Great"?
(a) Alan the Geat.
(d) St. Maurice.
2. In a trial by ordeal, which rule speaks to the fine one would pay if found invalid and having broken the rules of the trial by ordeal?
3. What was the name of the monk in the monastery at Ramsey who complied a handbook on computus?
4. According to Aelfric, who was "cruelly martyred" in 870 after he refused to give the Danes "wergild"?
(a) St. Roslin.
(b) St. Edmund.
(c) St. Peter.
(d) St. Matthew.
5. What was the name of the man who witnessed Bede's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the answer to the "best known riddle in this genre" (Anglo-Saxon literature)?
2. What did the runic alphabet come to be used for later (after its first use)?
3. What was the name of the most powerful English king "prior to Alfred"?
4. Who was the leading astronomer during the period when Old English became a "vehicle capable of expressing scientific thought"?
5. What were "embedded" in 10th and 11th century manuscripts that were defined as short incantations?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)