|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epic: Beowulf.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to Wihtred's law number 4, will foreigners be forced to "depart from the land with their goods and their sins"?
(a) If they fail the rights of passage."
(b) If they "fail to recognize the king's laws."
(c) If they do not "rugularize their marriage."
(d) If they "refuse to succumb to fate."
2. Where is Beowulf from?
3. Who wrote "Letter to the English"?
4. Why does the author say that Alfred failed to put some laws into writing?
(a) They were based upon critical thought.
(b) They only refered to those who were poor.
(c) They were only meant for those who could not read.
(d) They were based on common sense.
5. According to Byrhthelm in "The Battle of Maldon," who alone can say who would control the battle field?
(a) He, himself.
(b) The queen.
(c) The peasantry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Other than paying six shillings to his lord for riding "on his own business on that day," what can a servant choose as his punishment?
2. What poem is described by the author as "an antiquarian's delight"?
3. What does the word "wergild" mean?
4. During what century did the first Anglo-Saxon settlers migrate to England?
5. In "The Battle of Maldon," who does Byrhtnoth order to dismount?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)