|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epic: Beowulf.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the history and legends of the Anglo-Saxons transmitted?
(a) Word of mouth.
(b) Written anthologies.
(c) They were not discovered until late in the 14th century and then written down.
2. How many shillings will it cost someone if they were to "breach the Church's protection"?
(a) 75 shillings.
(b) 15 shillings.
(c) 25 shilings.
(d) 50 shillings.
3. According to the author in the introduction what (other than "Beowulf") is the best -known Anglo-Saxon poem?
(a) "The Husband's Message."
(b) "The Seafarer."
(c) "The Wanderer."
(d) "The Wife's Lament."
4. In "The Battle of Maldon," who "over-confidently allowed the Danes to cross the causeway"?
(a) King Alfred.
(b) King of Wessex.
5. What is the name of the hero in "The Finnesburh Fragment"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that Beowulf challenges to a swimming race?
2. What causes Beowulf's death?
3. In "The Battle of Maldon," who does Byrhtnoth order to dismount?
4. How many men does Grendel murder just before his fight with Beowulf?
5. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)