|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Example and Exhortation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was "Letter to the English" meant to act as moral support for?
(a) Prince Kent.
(b) Earl Thorkel.
(c) Duke Sententon.
(d) King Alfred.
2. What does Beowulf give to Wiglaf to signify Wiglaf's rise to king?
(a) A goblet.
(b) A banner.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A sword.
3. How many shillings will it cost someone if they were to "breach the Church's protection"?
(a) 75 shillings.
(b) 15 shillings.
(c) 50 shillings.
(d) 25 shilings.
4. What was the name of the first book that King Alfred translated into the vernacular?
(a) "Historical Moments in the Catholic Church."
(b) "Sins and Sinners."
(c) "Pastoral Care."
(d) "The Importnace of Christianity."
5. What two words were used in a trial by ordeal to define the seriousness of the crime?
(a) "MIsendon" and "Candicet".
(b) "Single" and "Threefold".
(c) "Thricen" and "Shrine".
(d) "Misson" and "Molten".
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the wanderer's "best source of comfort lie"?
2. In King Alfred's preface to "St. Gregory's 'Pastoral Care,' who does he "bids greet"?
3. What poem is described by the author as "an antiquarian's delight"?
4. What is the name of the governing assemblies from the Anglo-Saxon period?
5. According to the author, what did Anglo-Saxons fail to do for their poetry?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)