|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Umlimo first sees Tungata in her hospital room, by what name does she call Tungata?
2. Who leads the ZANU wing of the liberation army?
3. When Craig meets with the Minister for Trade, Tourism, and Information, who does Craig find himself face-to-face with?
4. How much of his sentence does Zouga actually serve before being released?
5. How many years of detention did Leila serve "at the pleasure of the Rhodesian government"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Craig Mellow embarrassed when he walks into the museum and is greeted by the woman behind the inquiries desk?
2. When Gideon chides Samson's uncertainty, what does Gideon tell Samson about strong men?
3. Why does Robyn insist on staying at Khami Mission and not flee for her life?
4. When Tungata and his men are spotted by Scouts, why does Tungata's thinking suddenly turn cold and clear?
5. As Jordan and Zouga take their leave of each other, Jordan has one final question for Zouga before Zouga heads back to Bulawayo. What does Jordan ask his father?
6. When Ralph first reaches home, he sees movement and is overjoyed. Minutes later, his joy is dashed. Why?
7. When Robyn is awakened in the night by scratching on her shutters, what is the message Robyn hears?
8. According to rumors that Vicky and Douglas told Craig, what had happened to Roland's body?
9. Why does Tungata ask for Janine's flight information for her return trip from Victoria Falls?
10. When Tungata Zebiwe's bus is boarded at a roadblock, why does Tungata fear that his forged employment papers might not be enough to get him through the roadblock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled, "The Angels Weep". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main characters, and the violence portrayed in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Samson Kumalo goes from a likable character to a murderous thug and is somewhat redeemed in the end. Identify the events that caused these transitions. What other choices, if any, did Samson have when confronted with these transitional situations? Was Samson's transition to his Tungata persona avoidable? Was Samson's transition to his Tungata persona his only way to survive? Provide examples from the story that support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Ralph Ballantyne wears different masks in the story. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Ralph Ballantyne. How would the entire plot have been affected if Ralph had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Bazo? Why is it necessary for Ralph to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)