|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Douglas engaged to?
2. How old was Juba when she died?
3. When Ralph comes up with a plan to attack the Matabele and asks for men who know the tribe and the land, how many men does Isazi bring?
4. What is the official title given to Cecil's new assistant?
5. Who is Bawu's grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jordan and Zouga take their leave of each other, Jordan has one final question for Zouga before Zouga heads back to Bulawayo. What does Jordan ask his father?
2. According to rumors that Vicky and Douglas told Craig, what had happened to Roland's body?
3. When Tungata Zebiwe's bus is boarded at a roadblock, why does Tungata fear that his forged employment papers might not be enough to get him through the roadblock?
4. When Craig's companion is asked to describe Robyn St. John, how is Robyn described?
5. As Ralph makes his way back to Cathy, why is locomotive driver terrified?
6. Why are the terrorists able to attack farmhouses without fearing that the security forces will arrive to arrest them?
7. When Tungata asks if the Umlimo can travel, he learns that the Umlimo is eager to travel. Why?
8. As his navigator is trying to create a safe path through the minefield, why does Roland insist on telling the navigator the gruesome details about the attack on Janine?
9. When Robyn is awakened in the night by scratching on her shutters, what is the message Robyn hears?
10. Describe one of Bawu's Claymores.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to revenge, jealousy is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by jealousy. Describe their reasons for being jealous. Is their jealousy founded? Why or why not?
b. How does jealousy affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been jealous? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the second half of the novel, Janine is involved with two very different men. Compare and contrast the relationship Janine has with Craig and the relationship Janine has with Roland. Then, compare and contrast these two men. How do these relationships influence not only Janine, but also the other people that are in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ralph Ballantyne and Craig Mellow - the survivors of each section of the novel.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. If these two characters were not separated by almost one hundred years, how would you expect them to interact with each other? Would they get along? Be friends? Be enemies? Be supportive?
d. Each of these men loses the woman they love, were the men similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)