|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first time in the ancient ruins, what did Zouga and Jan Cheroot find that Zouga insisted on taking with him?
2. After Ralph and Cecil fight, what does Jordan place in Ralph's stateroom on the train?
3. As Ralph, Zouga, and Jan Cheroot ride to the next ridge to continue their search, Ralph sees a flash of gold. What does Ralph see?
4. When Jan Cheroot is lowered into the mine shaft, what does he find in the little cave?
5. What percentage of the profits from Harkness Mine will go to Cecil's company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wankie want a wagon?
2. Why does Ruth convert to Christianity?
3. How does Ralph feel when he first sees the man who steps suddenly from the forest?
4. Why does Robyn eventually publish "Trooper Hackett of Matabeleland" with her own money?
5. Why is Jordan so uncomfortable when Ralph and Cecil begin to argue at the camp?
6. According to what Bazo tells Ralph, why are some of Bazo's men not coming to work the mines as Bazo originally promised to Ralph?
7. How did Ralph originally find the ancients ruins the first time he had ever visited the area?
8. Describe the scene around Cathy and Ralph's camp after the plague had passed.
9. When the lion pounces on Jan Cheroot and his horse, how does Jan Cheroot survive?
10. Why is Gandang so sure that the old times will come again even as his most senior wife tries to convince him that the Matabele has to change as the world has changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the Matabeleland. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Does any one group actually end up controlling Matabeleland? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel is revenge.
a. Identify three characters that use revenge as their primary motivation. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted out of a need for revenge.
b. Why do these characters seek revenge?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had gone after revenge? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Craig Mellow changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Craig's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Janine marries Roland, when Roland asks for his help clearing the minefield, when he loses his leg, and when he and Janine finally set sail. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)