|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mungo finally reaches the mission, where does he command all of the people to go?
2. The first time in the ancient ruins, what did Zouga and Jan Cheroot find that Zouga insisted on taking with him?
3. Who is the Chief Native Commissioner in Matabeleland?
4. When Jan Cheroot is lowered into the mine shaft, what does he find in the little cave?
5. How many blades does Bazo promise the Matabele warriors that they will have by the time the great storm begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ruth convert to Christianity?
2. When Ralph, Jan Cheroot, and Zouga are searching the land between the Limpopo and the Zambezi rivers, why is Ralph bored?
3. Why is Gandang so sure that the old times will come again even as his most senior wife tries to convince him that the Matabele has to change as the world has changed?
4. When Bazo returns to Gandang's kraal, he hears gunfire in the distance. Why are guns being fired?
5. Why does Tanase not want to go to Ralph's camp for the night so that Ralph and Bazo can catch up?
6. How does Bazo respond when Ralph offers him work?
7. How did Ralph originally find the ancients ruins the first time he had ever visited the area?
8. As the Matabele men prepare to carry out their killings, what is Tanase's primary job?
9. Even though Gandang does not like Robyn, he does respect her. Why?
10. Why does Wankie want a wagon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this novel is revenge.
a. Identify three characters that use revenge as their primary motivation. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted out of a need for revenge.
b. Why do these characters seek revenge?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had gone after revenge? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Craig Mellow and Samson Kumalo.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Bazo, Ralph Ballantyne, Robyn St. John, Cecil Rhodes, and Jordan Ballantyne.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)