|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the story opens, how many days have the men marched east from the ruins?
2. Who cuts the telegraph lines to prevent word of the plague reaching Cecil Rhodes?
3. According to what Cecil Rhodes tells Jordan, what is the most important asset of any nation?
4. How long does Ralph predict that it will take Cecil Rhodes to leave their camp after Cathy's sisters arrive?
5. When Cathy's sister finally arrive at the camp, who does Elizabeth greet first?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to what Bazo tells Ralph, why are some of Bazo's men not coming to work the mines as Bazo originally promised to Ralph?
2. As the Matabele men prepare to carry out their killings, what is Tanase's primary job?
3. When Ralph returns home to find his wife upset by Cecil Rhodes, what does Cathy complain that Cecil Rhodes has taken over?
4. When Tanase greets Bazo as he is returning to Gandang's kraal, she calls Bazo a name that makes Bazo uncomfortable. Why does the name make Bazo uncomfortable?
5. Where is Wankie's country located?
6. Even though Gandang does not like Robyn, he does respect her. Why?
7. Describe the scene around Cathy and Ralph's camp after the plague had passed.
8. Why does Wankie want a wagon?
9. Before Ralph departs, why does he warn Frank Rhodes not to send any unnecessary telegrams?
10. How did Ralph originally find the ancients ruins the first time he had ever visited the area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several attempts characters that either die or are killed.
a. Identify three characters that do not survive until the end of the novel. Describe each character and the circumstances surrounding their deaths.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that do not survive. What does the author have to gain by killing these characters off? What, if anything, does the author lose?
c. How would the story have changed if one or more of your identified characters had survived?
Essay Topic 2
Ralph Ballantyne wears different masks in the story. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Ralph Ballantyne. How would the entire plot have been affected if Ralph had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Bazo? Why is it necessary for Ralph to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Wilbur Smith uses this story to examine revenge and the disastrous and horrific consequences that can result when one is driven by revenge. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when revenge is a primary motive? What did you learn from the author's discussion on revenge? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)