|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Gandang's most senior wife?
2. What is the praise name that the Matabele have given to Zouga Ballantyne?
3. When Ralph tells Harry to take the women to Bulawayo alone, where does Ralph head to?
(d) Cape Town.
4. Who do the Matabele refer to as One-Bright-Eye?
(a) Leander Jameson.
(b) Cecil Rhodes.
(c) Ralph Ballantyne.
(d) Mungo St. John.
5. Where do the Matabele seek refuge in times of trouble?
(a) The Harkness Mines.
(b) The Matopo Hills.
(d) The Shangani River.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Tanase's vision, how does Bazo die?
2. To whom does Ralph sell his company?
3. As the novel begins, how many wagons does Ralph own?
4. What animals are drawing the soldiers' transport carts?
5. In preparation for their attack, who tells Bazo who is staying at the Khami Mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ralph returns home to find his wife upset by Cecil Rhodes, what does Cathy complain that Cecil Rhodes has taken over?
2. Before Ralph departs, why does he warn Frank Rhodes not to send any unnecessary telegrams?
3. Describe the scene around Cathy and Ralph's camp after the plague had passed.
4. How does Robyn explain to Juba her reasons for studying her chosen disease?
5. When Ralph, Jan Cheroot, and Zouga are searching the land between the Limpopo and the Zambezi rivers, why is Ralph bored?
6. Even though Gandang does not like Robyn, he does respect her. Why?
7. Why does Ruth convert to Christianity?
8. Why does Robyn eventually publish "Trooper Hackett of Matabeleland" with her own money?
9. To Ralph and Zouga, what is the worst kind of vermin found on the African plains and why?
10. Why does Wankie want a wagon?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)