|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ralph give Jonathon for his birthday?
(a) A book.
(b) A horse.
(c) A dog.
(d) A gun.
2. What animals are drawing the soldiers' transport carts?
3. What name do the three men give to their new mine?
(a) Ballantyne Mine.
(b) New Rush Mine.
(c) African Mine.
(d) Harkness Mine.
4. When Jan Cheroot is lowered into the mine shaft, what does he find in the little cave?
(a) Dead bodies.
5. What dis the meaning of the praise name that the Matabele have given to Zouga Ballantyne?
(a) The Axe.
(b) The Fist.
(c) The Seeker.
(d) The Eagle.
6. Before the occupation of the company, when a senior wife of an indunas had traveled, how many attendants would be with her?
7. When Cathy goes to the telegraph office to see if a telegraph from Ralph has come, what does she find?
(a) Braithwaite is dead.
(b) Isazi is dead.
(c) Jonathon is dead.
(d) Henderson is dead.
8. The warrior who suddenly steps out of the forest was once known as the Ax. What is the warrior more commonly called now?
(a) The Wanderer.
(b) The Martyr.
(c) The Cynic.
(d) The Zealot.
9. According to the news from Bulawayo, where are Jameson's men preparing to attack?
(d) Cape Town.
10. According to Robyn, who are the soldiers riding past the church at night?
(a) Rhodes's men.
(b) Jameson's men.
(c) Mungo's men.
(d) Zouga's men.
11. As Ralph heads to Johannesburg, what does he leave behind for Cathy?
(a) A picture.
(b) A telegram.
(c) A protector.
(d) A letter.
12. How long do the indunas wait in the village before the Umlimo comes down from the cavern?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Seven days.
13. According to the news from Bulawayo, how many men does Jameson have mounted and armed?
14. What is the name of Robyn's only son?
15. When Ralph goes to short sell two companies, how many shares of each company does Ralph want to trade?
(a) Two thousand.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) Two hundred thousand.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ralph sells his company, who does he next visit in Kimberley?
2. According to what Ralph tells Cathy, what is a bottle of whiskey worth in Bulawayo?
3. After Ralph and Cecil fight, what does Jordan place in Ralph's stateroom on the train?
4. What is the name of the distant blue summit shaped like a crouching lion that Zouga uses as a marker?
5. What is the name of the plague that strikes the with a vengeance and kills oxen and cattle?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)