|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Punishments are administered according to this.
2. Augustus focuses on creating this form of government.
3. The poor, unlike the wealthy, often live in these.
4. These are used by women extensively in Roman times.
5. Living conditions in Rome are so dirty this ruler passes a decree ordering home owners to clean the areas in front of their homes.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two types of comedy that have an effect on Rome.
2. Explain the refurbishment of monuments under Augustus.
3. What are two of the factors that help Rome develop further and faster than other cities?
4. Describe the food shops of Rome, including important food sources for Romans, and how the foods are processed.
5. Describe the situation during the 1st century between the Optimates and the Populares.
6. Explain the emergence of the republic at the end of the sixth century. How does this come about, and what is the result?
7. Describe men and women's clothing and fashion in Rome. Be sure to include information about not only clothing, but also hairstyles, cosmetics, and any other information.
8. Explain the imperial cult, in as much detail as possible.
9. Describe the education of children in Rome. Be sure to include information about class differences, gender differences, and how the educational system was organized.
10. Describe Roman marriage, including the age of marriage for both men and women, any penalties for not being married over a certain age, how they are arranged, the engagement, and the wedding ceremony.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The great baths were another of Rome's greatest legacies to culture. These baths were highly advanced, and served several purposes for the Roman citizens. Please write a complete explanation of the baths, including their purpose, building design, water supply, sweat baths, hot and cold water baths, massage areas, and exercise areas.
Essay Topic 2
Palaces are also discussed in detail in the book, particularly relating to the palaces of Rome. Discuss the Roman palaces, and include information about various rooms, their names, their functions, and the position of those in relation to one another. Further, discuss decoration that exists within the palaces. Try to incorporate all aspects of Roman life that apply.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Roman theater with Athenian theater. Be sure to include information on types of plays, actors, costumes, stages, theaters, and any other elements. Additionally, make sure to suggest reasons for any similarities and differences, and help to explain how these types of theaters affected Roman and Athenian life.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)