|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Places that serve hot food are important because of this.
2. Nero and his advisers blame these individuals for a great fire that guts central Rome.
3. Rome's position on the this river provides it with a great defensive posture.
4. There are _______ starting gates in the circus.
5. This ruler is given the title of imperator and Augustus in 27 BC, which changes Rome from a Republic to a Principate.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation during the 1st century between the Optimates and the Populares.
2. Describe the theater of Pompey.
3. What is the Circus Maximus, where is it, and what is it made from?
4. Compare and contrast wealthy homes with those of the poor.
5. What are two of the factors that help Rome develop further and faster than other cities?
6. Explain the development of the equestrian order in the third and second centuries.
7. Explain the emergence of the republic at the end of the sixth century. How does this come about, and what is the result?
8. Describe Roman marriage, including the age of marriage for both men and women, any penalties for not being married over a certain age, how they are arranged, the engagement, and the wedding ceremony.
9. Describe men and women's clothing and fashion in Rome. Be sure to include information about not only clothing, but also hairstyles, cosmetics, and any other information.
10. Describe the education of children in Rome. Be sure to include information about class differences, gender differences, and how the educational system was organized.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the possible life of an Athenian female, from birth to death. Include her education, growing up, marriage, fashion, work life, political life, spiritual life, leisure time, death, and funeral. Incorporate as many details from the book as possible, including such details as the type of housing she lives in, what she is, and is not, allowed to do, and what might have happened to her at birth, had her parents elected not to keep her.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Athenian democracy with modern democracy. How is ancient Athens a democracy? How does it differ from modern democracy? What is the government of Athens like? How is the court system run? How are juries selected? What are common punishments?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Roman theater with Athenian theater. Be sure to include information on types of plays, actors, costumes, stages, theaters, and any other elements. Additionally, make sure to suggest reasons for any similarities and differences, and help to explain how these types of theaters affected Roman and Athenian life.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)