|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under this ruler, a land-locked inner basin is built which is linked to the Tiber via a canal.
2. If found guilty of adultery, the wife and her lover suffer this.
3. There are _______ starting gates in the circus.
4. These are used by women extensively in Roman times.
5. Actors are often _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe men and women's clothing and fashion in Rome. Be sure to include information about not only clothing, but also hairstyles, cosmetics, and any other information.
2. Describe a day at the races in Rome.
3. Describe the situation during the 1st century between the Optimates and the Populares.
4. Describe the great fire, Nero's response, and his scapegoat.
5. Describe the two types of comedy that have an effect on Rome.
6. Explain the emergence of the republic at the end of the sixth century. How does this come about, and what is the result?
7. Describe the education of children in Rome. Be sure to include information about class differences, gender differences, and how the educational system was organized.
8. What are two of the factors that help Rome develop further and faster than other cities?
9. Describe Roman marriage, including the age of marriage for both men and women, any penalties for not being married over a certain age, how they are arranged, the engagement, and the wedding ceremony.
10. Explain the naming convention of boy and girls in Rome, including when they are named, how many names they have, and under which legislation the naming convention becomes popular.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Athenian democracy with modern democracy. How is ancient Athens a democracy? How does it differ from modern democracy? What is the government of Athens like? How is the court system run? How are juries selected? What are common punishments?
Essay Topic 2
Trajan's markets is one of the largest architectural endeavors of Trajan's reign. Discuss this market, including its use, size, purpose, and layout. Include items the customers might shop for, where they might eat, and items they may choose to purchase. Again, be as detailed as possible, and include information from other areas of the book to complete your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss your opinion of the book. Do you think it was well written? Why or why not? Was it entertaining and easy to follow, or did you have difficulty? Why? What parts did you find most entertaining or worth reading? What areas were you bored with, or found unnecessary. How could the book have been improved? Did the illustrations help explain the concepts, or did they hurt the flow of the book?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)