|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Burton think nuns don't sleep in their own beds?
2. What would be a legal cure for melancholy?
3. What was Alcibiades' biggest flaw?
4. What does Burton observe is the affect of monks and nuns being kept so close together?
5. In Chapter 12, Burton focuses on how _______ causes love melancholy.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Burton regard beauty as positive or negative in terms of love? Explain.
2. Does Burton believe men are always faithful to the women they love?
3. According to Burton, between which types of people can love emerge?
4. What is the purpose of the diagram at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. Why does Burton advise rituals as a means for curing melancholy?
6. In Chapter 14, how highly does Burton regard love?
7. What does Burton believe would happen if two young people were placed together?
8. Why does Burton believe idleness causes melancholy via love?
9. Does Burton believe love is avoidable? What are his suggestions?
10. According to Burton, do all symptoms of love appear positive? Can love be mistaken for something else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how love incorporates and leads to melancholy, based on the information given in "The Anatomy of Melancholy."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Burton's views on humanity and human nature based on his criticisms, praises, and anecdotes.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the concept of divine justice is reflected in "The Anatomy of Melancholy."
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)