|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Burton, which women are the most deceitful?
2. Burton suggests ____ as a distraction and cure for melancholy.
3. How does Burton express cures for melancholy at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. Burton describes love as the desire for _____.
5. Burton uses the symbolism of ______ to describe love.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Burton, what are the most severe symptoms of love?
2. In Chapter 14, how does Burton liken love to melancholy?
3. According to Burton, why don't nuns sleep in their own beds?
4. How does Burton feel about the physical variations in humans? How does he approach these variations?
5. Does Burton believe love is avoidable? What are his suggestions?
6. According to Burton, do challenges help cure melancholy? Why or why not?
7. To Burton, is love curable?
8. According to Burton, between which types of people can love emerge?
9. Why does Burton advise rituals as a means for curing melancholy?
10. In Chapter 14, how highly does Burton regard love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burton explains that his predecessors in medicine and philosophy laid the foundations for his findings. Discuss how Burton develops others' work. Whose work is "The Anatomy of Melancholy"?
Essay Topic 2
Burton often refers to God and religion in terms of causing and curing melancholy. Discuss Burton's idea of religion in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Burton often discusses angels and demons: he uses superstition to explain medically inexplicable causes for melancholy. Discuss Burton's use of superstition and the supernatural.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)