|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The wanton man's love life is not one of love but of _______.
2. At any given time, who does the wanton man love most?
3. What was Alcibiades' biggest attribute?
4. What does Burton claim is the benefit of chamomile?
5. Burton believes that distance from _______ causes change in skin color.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Alcibiades frequently get into trouble?
2. In Burton's opinion, how far will people go for love?
3. In Chapter 14, how highly does Burton regard love?
4. What is the purpose of the diagram at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. According to Burton, how can the Goddess of Virginity be corrupted?
6. Are Burton's ways of curing melancholy fairly black and white? What are his cures dependent on?
7. How does Christianity aid Burton's arguments for cures in Chapter 10?
8. Why does Burton advise rituals as a means for curing melancholy?
9. According to Burton, can speech cure melancholy? Why or why not?
10. According to Burton, do all symptoms of love appear positive? Can love be mistaken for something else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Burton's use, understanding, and beliefs of science. What defines his scientific view? Does "The Anatomy of Melancholy" rely on science?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Burton's use of visuals and diagrams to explain concepts in "The Anatomy of Melancholy."
Essay Topic 3
Especially in his discussions of love, Burton regularly addresses the feeling of "fear." Discuss how Burton examines fear and how this emotion is woven into melancholy.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)