|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Burton explains love is a type of ______.
2. Burton suggests confessing _______ is a good cure.
3. In Burton's anecdote in Chapter 13, where is the unsuspecting man lead?
4. Burton discusses Alcibiades, a _______ of Plato.
5. Burton's recommendation for a cure in Chapter 9 is _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the diagram at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. In Burton's opinion, how far will people go for love?
3. Does Burton believe love is avoidable? What are his suggestions?
4. Why does Burton see love and hate as being similar?
5. What does Burton believe would happen if two young people were placed together?
6. Why does Burton believe idleness causes melancholy via love?
7. How does Christianity aid Burton's arguments for cures in Chapter 10?
8. Does Burton regard beauty as positive or negative in terms of love? Explain.
9. Is religion a potential cause for melancholy? How does Burton make the connection?
10. What are the three basic types of love Burton expresses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Burton's use of visuals and diagrams to explain concepts in "The Anatomy of Melancholy."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Burton's use, understanding, and beliefs of science. What defines his scientific view? Does "The Anatomy of Melancholy" rely on science?
Essay Topic 3
Burton discusses several causes of melancholy, from the genetic to the supernatural. Discuss Burton's opinion of human afflictions.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)