|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burton claim is the benefit of chamomile?
2. Burton speculates that people of a _______ climate are more prone to jealousy.
3. Who does Burton see as the men most susceptible to love?
4. Why did Jupiter take on many guises?
5. Alcibiades' love life was ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Burton feel about the physical variations in humans? How does he approach these variations?
2. How does Christianity aid Burton's arguments for cures in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 14, how highly does Burton regard love?
4. According to Burton, can speech cure melancholy? Why or why not?
5. Are Burton's ways of curing melancholy fairly black and white? What are his cures dependent on?
6. In Burton's opinion, how far will people go for love?
7. In Chapter 12, Burton describes a wanton man. Does this man actually love women he is with? Why or why not?
8. According to Burton, do all symptoms of love appear positive? Can love be mistaken for something else?
9. To Burton, is love curable?
10. What are the three basic types of love Burton expresses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss where the conclusion of "The Anatomy of Melancholy" leaves the reader; what's the objective of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Burton explains that his predecessors in medicine and philosophy laid the foundations for his findings. Discuss how Burton develops others' work. Whose work is "The Anatomy of Melancholy"?
Essay Topic 3
Burton often refers to God and religion in terms of causing and curing melancholy. Discuss Burton's idea of religion in the book.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)