|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of people does Burton cite as causing melancholy in Chapter 8?
2. What is Burton's first step to correcting melancholy?
3. Burton believe people who arrive with technology are seen as ____.
4. What is Burton's second step to correcting melancholy?
5. What does Burton see as the current status of angels and demons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are Burton's advisories on food still tied to religion? Explain.
2. At the time of writing, what was lycanthropy used as an example of?
3. What does Burton recognize is the cause for some gaining the label of an angel or demon?
4. How does Burton differentiate types of melancholy?
5. In Chapter 3, do people have absolute control over what happens to them?
6. Why are stage magicians, witches, and sorcerers lower in Burton's ranking system?
7. How does God punish humans, according to Burton's beliefs?
8. What is Burton's methodology for dealing with affliction in melancholy?
9. What does Burton speculate is the origin of an unknown cause of melancholy?
10. According to Burton, is he the author of this work on melancholy? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burton discusses several causes of melancholy, from the genetic to the supernatural. Discuss Burton's opinion of human afflictions.
Essay Topic 2
Burton often refers to God and religion in terms of causing and curing melancholy. Discuss Burton's idea of religion in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Burton's views on humanity and human nature based on his criticisms, praises, and anecdotes.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)