|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Burton believes people can carry on relationships with the dead through ______.
2. What organ does chylus emerge from?
3. What is Burton's second step to correcting melancholy?
4. How does Burton begin discussing his methodology for dealing with melancholy in Chapter 2?
5. What is the nature of the choler humor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does God punish humans, according to Burton's beliefs?
2. In Burton's opinion, where does the melancholic humor come from? What is its character?
3. What is the purpose of the humors of the body?
4. How does Burton differentiate types of melancholy?
5. Why does Burton discuss the medical background of melancholy in Chapter 4?
6. How does Burton view his inferiority or superiority to Democritus?
7. What does Burton speculate is the origin of an unknown cause of melancholy?
8. To Burton, what constitutes an "external cause" of melancholy?
9. What are the two different schools of thought on demons discussed by Burton? What do these groups have in common?
10. Why would someone act as though they had lycanthropy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Burton's discussions of causes of melancholy, he discusses how external situations or influences can cause melancholy. Discuss Burton's fixation on external-references and victim-hood.
Essay Topic 2
Burton discusses the nature of love and attraction and acknowledges his understanding is that of a man. Discuss the affect of the male point of view in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Burton's views on humanity and human nature based on his criticisms, praises, and anecdotes.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)