|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some believe the eccentric behavior of lycanthropy is a means of ______.
2. Someone with lycanthropy has ______ eyes.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Burton explains _____ is a large component of melancholy.
4. Where do people with lycanthropy spend their time?
5. From Burton's view, _____, madness, and melancholy are distinct.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Burton want to further the ideas of Democritus?
2. What are Burton's ideas about symptoms and cures of illnesses? Are these ideas accepted today?
3. Why does Burton discuss the medical background of melancholy in Chapter 4?
4. How does Burton perceive the natures of people with a fiery temperament?
5. How does God punish humans, according to Burton's beliefs?
6. How does Burton view his inferiority or superiority to Democritus?
7. According to Burton, what is the origin of angels and demons? What is their purpose?
8. At the time of writing, what was lycanthropy used as an example of?
9. What is Burton's methodology for dealing with affliction in melancholy?
10. What is "divine justice"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burton often discusses angels and demons: he uses superstition to explain medically inexplicable causes for melancholy. Discuss Burton's use of superstition and the supernatural.
Essay Topic 2
Burton often refers to God and religion in terms of causing and curing melancholy. Discuss Burton's idea of religion in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Burton suggests cures for melancholy. Discuss how Burton's cures connect science, religion, and logic and the feasibility and origin of such cures.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)