|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Burton explains that urine, sweat, and ______ are also important for the body.
2. What is the nature of the choler humor?
3. The most minor form of melancholy is a tendency towards _______ and sadness.
4. When are Democritus's thoughts prevalent?
5. Burton sees destruction by natural disasters as _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Burton differentiate types of melancholy?
2. How does someone with lycanthropy appear?
3. According to Burton, what is the origin of angels and demons? What is their purpose?
4. Where do Burton's ideas of the human body stem from?
5. Why does Burton discuss the medical background of melancholy in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Burton want to further the ideas of Democritus?
7. What is the nature of a humanoid spirit, according to Burton?
8. What is Burton's methodology for dealing with affliction in melancholy?
9. How does Burton perceive the natures of people with a fiery temperament?
10. According to Burton, is he the author of this work on melancholy? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Burton's use, understanding, and beliefs of science. What defines his scientific view? Does "The Anatomy of Melancholy" rely on science?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the concept of divine justice is reflected in "The Anatomy of Melancholy."
Essay Topic 3
Burton discusses several causes of melancholy, from the genetic to the supernatural. Discuss Burton's opinion of human afflictions.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)