|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jupiter take on many guises?
(a) To entertain himself.
(b) To trick people.
(c) To hide.
(d) To find love.
2. Burton believes jealousy is most often based on _______.
3. Burton explains that love can be full of over-optimism and ______.
4. Burton cites Plato, who discusses the _______ of love.
5. How steadfast is the wanton man?
(a) He is neglectful.
(b) He is loyal.
(c) He is fickle.
(d) He is adulterous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Burton describes the wanton man's love as being like "a passing ______."
2. Burton's recommendation for a cure in Chapter 9 is _____.
3. At the end of Chapter 15, Burton discusses his doubt that love is ______.
4. What does Burton claim is the benefit of chamomile?
5. Burton believes that rectification of _____ is a cure for melancholy.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Burton regard beauty as positive or negative in terms of love? Explain.
2. Why did Alcibiades frequently get into trouble?
3. To Burton, is love curable?
4. According to Burton, how can the Goddess of Virginity be corrupted?
5. Does Burton believe men are always faithful to the women they love?
6. What are the three basic types of love Burton expresses?
7. In Chapter 14, how does Burton liken love to melancholy?
8. In Chapter 12, Burton describes a wanton man. Does this man actually love women he is with? Why or why not?
9. In Burton's opinion, how far will people go for love?
10. How does Burton feel about the physical variations in humans? How does he approach these variations?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)