|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alcibiades' love life was ____.
2. Why does Burton believe he has limited knowledge on the subject of attraction?
(a) He's never been in love.
(b) He thinks love is overrated.
(c) He is a man.
(d) He is too vain.
3. Burton explains that love can be full of over-optimism and ______.
4. Burton believes the clearest diagnosis of love is _______ symptoms.
5. Burton uses Antony and Cleopatra as an example of the _______ of passion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burton claim is the benefit of chamomile?
2. What kind of love does Burton believe people are most afraid of?
3. Burton believes that distance from _______ causes change in skin color.
4. According to Burton, the cure for melancholy depends on ____.
5. Burton discusses that exercising the ______ is a cure for melancholy.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Burton feel about the physical variations in humans? How does he approach these variations?
2. Why does Burton see love and hate as being similar?
3. What is the purpose of the diagram at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. According to Burton, why don't nuns sleep in their own beds?
5. What does Burton believe would happen if two young people were placed together?
6. What are the three basic types of love Burton expresses?
7. In Chapter 14, how does Burton liken love to melancholy?
8. Does Burton regard love as a positive or negative thing? Explain.
9. Does Burton regard beauty as positive or negative in terms of love? Explain.
10. Why does Burton believe idleness causes melancholy via love?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)