|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are lycanthrops during the day?
(a) In trees.
(d) At work.
2. In Chapter 8, Burton discusses how _____ affect melancholia.
3. "The Anatomy of Melancholy" addresses two conditions: unhappiness and ________.
(a) Clinical depression.
4. Where do people with lycanthropy spend their time?
(a) In bed.
(b) In hospitals.
(c) In caves.
(d) In graveyards.
5. Many writers call melancholy a form of ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. Burton describes "______" victims as people who suffer by no wrongdoing of their own.
2. What kind of water does Burton believe is better to drink?
3. Which answer is not Burton's objective for writing "The Anatomy of Melancholy"?
4. In Burton's opinion, what is the benefit of large-scale disasters and diseases?
5. What kinds of ideas does Burton believe deities personify?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Burton, is he the author of this work on melancholy? Why or why not?
2. Based on Burton's observations, are there fewer disease epidemics because people are sinning less? Explain.
3. How does Burton view his inferiority or superiority to Democritus?
4. Does Burton have a thorough understanding of the human body?
5. In Burton's opinion, what is the popular view of "victims" today?
6. In Burton's opinion, where does the melancholic humor come from? What is its character?
7. To Burton, what constitutes an "external cause" of melancholy?
8. What does Burton recognize is the cause for some gaining the label of an angel or demon?
9. What is the nature of a humanoid spirit, according to Burton?
10. What specifically about "melancholy" does Burton wish to discuss?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)