|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Burton explains that most see the nature of demons as being _____.
2. What is chylus derived from?
(a) Eating meat.
(b) Eating vegetables.
3. Burton explains that urine, sweat, and ______ are also important for the body.
4. What is the life span of humanoid demons?
(a) 85-95 years.
(b) 1,000-2,000 years.
(c) 10-15 years.
(d) 700-800 years.
5. Burton believes some see angels and demons as ____.
(d) High society.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Burton begin discussing his methodology for dealing with melancholy in Chapter 2?
2. How does Burton categorize types of melancholy?
3. Where do people with lycanthropy spend their time?
4. What does Burton believe the effect of idleness is?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Burton explains _____ is a large component of melancholy.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Burton claim are facts about spirits and demons?
2. What specifically about "melancholy" does Burton wish to discuss?
3. Where do Burton's ideas of the human body stem from?
4. In Burton's opinion, where does the melancholic humor come from? What is its character?
5. Why does Burton discuss the medical background of melancholy in Chapter 4?
6. What are the two different schools of thought on demons discussed by Burton? What do these groups have in common?
7. To Burton, what constitutes and "inner cause" of melancholy?
8. According to Burton, is he the author of this work on melancholy? Why or why not?
9. What does Burton speculate is the origin of an unknown cause of melancholy?
10. Why does Burton want to further the ideas of Democritus?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)