|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burton believe the effect of idleness is?
(b) Memory loss.
2. Burton agrees with divine justice in that ____ causes suffering.
3. What organ does chylus emerge from?
(a) The liver.
(b) The kidney.
(c) The heart.
(d) The lung.
4. Why do some believe demons can be classified together?
(a) Because they believe everything is atoms.
(b) Because demons will be angry.
(c) Because they're unimportant.
(d) Because they are variations on the same thing.
5. Burton's views of airy and fiery spirits are related to ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the life span of humanoid demons?
2. Burton believes actions of idleness and excessive ______ often cause depression.
3. In Chapter 8, what inevitability does Burton observe as a cause for melancholy?
4. What is Burton doing with the work of Democritus?
5. What is the connection of Democritus and Democritus Junior?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Burton perceive the natures of people with a fiery temperament?
2. To Burton, what constitutes and "inner cause" of melancholy?
3. What are Burton's ideas about symptoms and cures of illnesses? Are these ideas accepted today?
4. Why are stage magicians, witches, and sorcerers lower in Burton's ranking system?
5. At the time of writing, what was lycanthropy used as an example of?
6. In Chapter 3, do people have absolute control over what happens to them?
7. What is the purpose of the humors of the body?
8. Why does Burton want to further the ideas of Democritus?
9. What is "divine justice"?
10. What specifically about "melancholy" does Burton wish to discuss?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)