|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Burton's views of airy and fiery spirits are related to ______.
2. What does Burton believe the effect of idleness is?
(c) Memory loss.
3. What does Burton believe are the first formed parts of the body?
(a) The eyes.
(b) The spermatical.
(c) The soul.
(d) The heart.
4. One school of thought on demons believes they are diverse and shouldn't be ____.
(a) Lumped together.
(b) Joked about.
(c) Hyped up.
5. Many writers call melancholy a form of ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. In divine justice, why do bad things happen to people?
2. What kind of food does Burton believe induces melancholy?
3. When are Democritus's thoughts prevalent?
4. Aside from the common person, Burton's audience includes _____.
5. What is Burton's second step to correcting melancholy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Burton's opinion, what is the popular view of "victims" today?
2. What is Burton's methodology for dealing with affliction in melancholy?
3. Why are stage magicians, witches, and sorcerers lower in Burton's ranking system?
4. Why does Burton discuss the medical background of melancholy in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 3, do people have absolute control over what happens to them?
6. To Burton, what constitutes an "external cause" of melancholy?
7. What is the purpose of the humors of the body?
8. How does someone with lycanthropy appear?
9. What is "divine justice"?
10. What is the nature of a humanoid spirit, according to Burton?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)