|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Burton explains that love can be full of over-optimism and ______.
2. How does Burton express cures for melancholy at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) A list.
(c) A diagram.
(d) Excerpts from Plato.
3. Burton says not to consult ____ for curing melancholy.
(c) One's parents.
4. Who does the wanton man always fall in love with?
(a) Married women.
(b) His past loves.
(c) Beautiful women.
(d) Imaginary women.
5. What kind of speech does Burton believe is most helpful to cure melancholy?
6. In Burton's opinion, "love" also includes love between ____.
(a) Angels and demons.
(b) The same sex.
(c) Inanimate objects and humans.
(d) Animals and humans.
7. Burton believes different races developed as a result of adapting to ______.
8. Burton explains love is a type of ______.
9. According to Burton, the cure for melancholy depends on ____.
(a) The severity.
(b) The duration.
(c) The cause.
(d) The gender.
10. Burton claims there are legal and _____ ways to cure melancholy.
11. At the end of Chapter 15, Burton discusses his doubt that love is ______.
12. Alcibiades' love life was ____.
13. What ironic negative symptoms does Burton observe of love?
14. Burton believes love does best between what kinds of people?
(a) People of the same political party.
(b) People of the same culture.
(c) People of the same age.
(d) People of different races.
15. According to Christianity, good brings forth _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would herbal remedies be a good cure?
2. Burton explains there are ____ basic ways people love each other.
3. Love will lead to melancholy if there is ____.
4. At any given time, who does the wanton man love most?
5. Why does Burton believe he has limited knowledge on the subject of attraction?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)