|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Burton's opinion of why disease is less common today?
(a) Medicine and hygiene.
(b) Less children.
(c) Better food.
(d) Less trees.
2. What is the nature of the phlegmatic humor?
(a) It's warm.
(b) It's cold.
(c) It's dry.
(d) It's pink.
3. Under special conditions, what does Burton claim humanoid demons share with humans?
(a) Their good looks.
(b) Their vast knowledge.
(c) Their beautiful singing voice.
(d) Their money.
4. What symbolism does Burton use to describe fiery temperaments?
5. Where are lycanthrops during the day?
(a) In trees.
(c) At work.
6. Many writers call melancholy a form of ______.
7. How does Burton begin discussing his methodology for dealing with melancholy in Chapter 2?
(a) Through a chart.
(b) Through riddles.
(c) Through historical references.
(d) Through metaphor.
8. Through what method are religion and science able to coexist?
(a) A contract.
(c) Their supporters.
(d) Accepted differences.
9. Burton sees people with fiery temperaments as very ______.
10. Who are humanoid demons superior to?
(a) Regular demons.
11. Someone with lycanthropy has _______ legs.
12. Democritus provids the _____ viewpoint of melancholy.
13. Burton explains there are natural and _______ causes for melancholy.
14. A sufferer of lycanthropy believes he is _____.
(a) A wolf.
(b) A god.
(c) A king.
(d) A bird.
15. What is Burton's first step to correcting melancholy?
(a) Recognizing its existence.
(b) Finding new friends.
(c) Hours of meditation.
(d) Taking medication.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the melancholic humor produced?
2. Burton thinks demons may be references to _______.
3. Burton believes people can carry on relationships with the dead through ______.
4. How does Burton believe humanoid demons appear?
5. Which answer is not Burton's objective for writing "The Anatomy of Melancholy"?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)