Book 1, The Anatomy of Melancholy : Chapter 1, The Introductory Material
* Robert Burton claims that he intends to further the ideas of Democritus on melancholy.
* Burton wants his work to apply more to the modern era.
* Burton explains the significance of Democritus.
* The book is meant to discuss the conditions of melancholy and the treatment.
* Burton discusses the various degrees and debilitations of melancholy.
Book 1, The First Partition : Chapter 2, Melancholia
* Burton discusses the role ego plays in melancholy.
* Burton explains the steps for treatment of any kind of melancholy are recognizing the problem, identifying the cause, and attempting to solve.
* Chapter 2 relies on a 6-page chart and diagram which outlines the causes and symptoms of melancholy.
* Burton categorizes types of melancholy based on their symptoms: some are physical ailments while others are their actions.
* Burton explains that natural and supernatural causes are the primary origins of melancholy.
* Burton discusses inner...
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)