Book 1, The Anatomy of Melancholy : Chapter 1, The Introductory Material
• Robert Burton claims that he intends to further the ideas of Democritus on melancholy.
• Burton wants his work to apply more to the modern era.
• Burton explains the significance of Democritus.
• The book is meant to discuss the conditions of melancholy and the treatment.
• Burton discusses the various degrees and debilitations of melancholy.
Book 1, The First Partition : Chapter 2, Melancholia
• Burton discusses the role ego plays in melancholy.
• Burton explains the steps for treatment of any kind of melancholy are recognizing the problem, identifying the cause, and attempting to solve.
• Chapter 2 relies on a 6-page chart and diagram which outlines the causes and symptoms of melancholy.
• Burton categorizes types of melancholy based on their symptoms: some are physical ailments while others are their actions.
• Burton explains that natural and supernatural causes are the primary origins of melancholy.
• Burton discusses inner...
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)