|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Newman decide to try to talk to Claire's mother and brother one last time after the engagement is called off?
2. What threat does Newman make about telling the family secret?
3. What surprises Valentin about the invitation his family sends out for Newman and Claire's engagement party?
4. Where does Mrs. Bread move after she confesses to Newman about the Bellegarde family secret?
5. What does Newman ask Valentin to do while they are at the opera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Newman ask Mrs. Tristam about at the engagement party?
2. What does Claire plan to do now that she is no longer engaged to Newman?
3. How did Mrs. Bread get connected to the Bellegarde familiy?
4. What does Mrs. Bread report the Bellegardes marriage was like?
5. What does Valentin think happened surrounding the death of his father?
6. What is Newman's original plan in confronting Urbain and Madame de Bellegarde about the way Claire's father died?
7. What does Urbain confirm about his father's murder to Newman?
8. What does Mrs. Tristam have to say about Claire and Newman's broken engagement?
9. What does Urbain request of Newman when he comes and confesses that his father was in fact murdered?
10. What kind of story does a duchess tell about Newman at this engagement party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 4 features of Claire's mother and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast 2 female characters of your choosing from the "The American," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 aspects of "The American" that makes the novel believable as well as what literary devices James uses to create that level of believability OR analyze at least 3 aspects of "The American" that makes the novel unbelievable as well as what literary devices James does not use effectively to create a level of believability in the story.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)