|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Against whom does Mrs. Bread confess to having a grudge?
2. What does the injured Valentin think of Claire's feelings on the broken engagement?
3. How does Newman find out that Valentin has been injured in the duel?
4. In Chapter XIII, what does Newman claim his feelings for Claire are?
5. How does Mrs. Bread feel about Claire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Valentin report to Newman has been happening between Noemie and her mysterious friend during the opera?
2. What kind of story does a duchess tell about Newman at this engagement party?
3. What does Mrs. Tristam have to say about Claire and Newman's broken engagement?
4. What does Urbain's wife ask Newman to do during the opera?
5. What does Newman first tell the injured Valentin about Claire?
6. What does Urbain request of Newman when he comes and confesses that his father was in fact murdered?
7. What is Newman's opinion of Urbain?
8. What does Claire say to Newman when they finally speak after their engagement is called off?
9. Once Valentin and Newman learn that Noemie has been spending her time with a mysterious man, what does Valentin think about the situation?
10. What does Mrs. Bread report the Bellegardes marriage was like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices James uses within the first 3 chapters to help the reader better understand Newman as both a character and the protagonist. Make sure to use examples and/or quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Identify what you think is the tone for "The American" and discuss 3 literary devices that James uses to create this tone.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques James uses to create tension in "The American."
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)