|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Claire have in the church services at her convent?
2. Which of Claire's family members want to talk to Newman at Claire's convent?
3. What does Newman ask when Mrs. Bread requests to know more about Valentin's last hours?
4. How does Noemie feel about the duel?
5. Against whom does Mrs. Bread confess to having a grudge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Newman first tell the injured Valentin about Claire?
2. What kind of story does a duchess tell about Newman at this engagement party?
3. Once Valentin and Newman learn that Noemie has been spending her time with a mysterious man, what does Valentin think about the situation?
4. What does Claire tell Newman about the reason why the engagement has been called off?
5. What does Claire say to Newman when they finally speak after their engagement is called off?
6. What does Valentin think happened surrounding the death of his father?
7. What does Noemie tell Newman when he confronts her and her father at the Cafe de le Patrie?
8. What does Urbain's wife ask Newman to do during the opera?
9. What does Mrs. Tristam have to say about Claire and Newman's broken engagement?
10. What does Newman ask Mrs. Tristam about at the engagement party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 4 ways "The American" would be different if the protagonist were female.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Newman is a good role model for young, male readers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two marriages in the novel, making sure to use direct evidence from the text in your paper.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)